“Delicious flavors rarely found on this side of the Earth”

Lion City Restaurant
Ranked #770 of 1,661 Restaurants in Mississauga
Cuisines: Singaporean
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Delicious flavors rarely found on this side of the Earth”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We were in the Toronto area for a weekend getaway, but went out of our way to visit this place. My boyfriend is from Singapore and misses the unique flavors of his home, so he was very excited to try it with me. It's a little hard to find in between all the small shops and parking lots, but we eventually found it and were glad we did.

We ordered Chinese Rojak to start and it captured perfectly the unique Southeast Asian flavors you won't find in Chinese restaurants: a mix of deep-fried tofu, bean sprouts, pineapple, mango, and cucumber, covered in a spicy sauce of shrimp paste, chili, tamarind, and peanuts. Absolutely delicious.

From there, we tried some Hokkien Mee, which was less oily than it is usually served so that was good, and Char Kway Teow, which had the characteristic "breath of the wok" smokiness to it. Dessert was Ais Kacang (like a snowcone) and Bubor Cha Cha -- a sugary soup with sweet potato and jelly inside.

Lion City got the stamp of authenticity from my boyfriend and filled us right up with wonderful Southeast Asian food. I will say the owner is a bit gruff, but he spends his time in the back anyway and the waitress was warm and friendly. If you're in the area, I would check this place out. It's the closest thing to experiencing Singapore food culture in the the West!

• Visited July 2014

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Nice little Singapore Mom & Pop restaurant”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Being originally from Singapore, had to try this restaurant few times during my visit to Toronto. Didn't try the Thai food.. But lots of items on the menu considering it's a small place.

Tried the Wattat Horfun, Meesiam, Nasi Lemak, Hainanese Chicken Rice, Mutton Rendang, Meepok, Popiah, Rojak. Horfun was good, Meesiam was good but a bit too sour as it had much tamarind, needed to be sweeter for my liking. Nasi Lemak was very good (sambal was not oily compared to other places), Chicken Rice very good too. Loved the Rendang! I felt the Rojak needed to be little more sour & sweet.

Overall food was not greasy or sweet. So, the food was a healthier version..

• Visited June 2014
Mississauga, Canada
“Greasy food, terrible service.”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We were very excited to try this place because we love Malaysian food. Soon as we entered though, we were met with very inattentive, and rude staff who couldn't care less about their customers.

Several tables were left with dirty dishes around the place with customers long gone. The staff sat around chatting at one of tables. One eventually made her way over to take our order. We ordered two meat dishes and fried rice.

The fried rice came out almost immediately. It was old and stale, and felt like it was reheated in a microwave. The two meat dishes came out some 20-25 minutes later. By this time, the rice was cold. The meat dishes were very greasy, and pungent with a bad combination of spices. The fish tasted rotten and chewy. It felt like they threw a lot of grease and spices at the food to hide the fact that it was stale.

One of us received our drink (coke) 30 minutes into the meal, while the two of us didn't receive our drinks at all. It wasn't until I went up to pay did the waitress say "did you still want your water?"

In my 20 years in Toronto, this was by far the worst food experience I've ever had. The smelly, grease laden food had me nauseated for the rest of the day. Never again!

• Visited March 2014
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
“Cute little gem and friendly staff feels like momma pops place”
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner here with some foods. Good staff. Older Indonesian couple very cute and sweet. Probably not your best Indonesian food but they do have alot of Asian dishes.

• Visited December 2013
Canada
“Nice place”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Small place with decent items to choose from and decent prices. I ordered the Yong Chow Fried Rice which is really good. The only thing I didn't like as much about it was that I found it to be too oily for my liking, but other than that it was great. My girlfriend had their Murtabak which was delicious. The curry made it even better! They are very generous with the portion size and makes the meal worth your money. The lady who served us was very nice and helpful, I would recommend coming to this place.

• Visited November 2013