“RUN ... don't walk!!! Hidden gem; great food; awesome service”

Gabriel's Restaurant
Ranked #142 of 1,713 Restaurants in Mississauga
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I like to read others' reviews but am not one to write of my own personal experiences. However, this evening was such a great dining experience that I felt compelled to write an online review.

My wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversary at Gabriel's, a restaurant we had been to before ... because we wanted a quiet, relaxing evening together. We knew the food was good and were looking forward to digging into some of our favourites. But when we walked in the choices became more difficult as there were some interesting daily specials also. We were in no rush and our server picked up on that right away. He presented the specials and allowed us to take our time deciding on our meals and the wine. They have a wonderful wine list for a smaller suburban restaurant - with great quality selections (not just the standards) and very reasonably priced.

We asked him for tasting notes on three different New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs and he came back with the information before we made our selection. We ate PEI Mussels (chose the mango bourbon cream sauce option) and the escargots (wonderfully blended with mushroom medley and lots of garlic on grilled polenta slices) in a creamy white wine sauce. Yumm!!!

They serve the mussels with lots of sauce, so save your complimentary bread to saok up the sauce.

I chose a veal scallopini with proscuitto, bocconcini and perfectly cooked asparagus spears and my wife picked the halibut special (on top of crostini bread and topped with a poached egg). Both our meals came with the perfectly grilled medley of vegetables we were expecting (red and green peppers, fresh spinach, baby bok choy, broccoli, zucchini). This place knows how to cook vegetables. Nice and firm and crisp and very flavourful.

All four food choices were excellent - sorry no photos this time. But trust me, it's worth the trip to suburbia.

As we were finishing off, our server (Sean) came to our table with a complimentary dessert for us to share ... he told us he brought something light seeing as we looked quite full and satisfied already. And it was a great choice.

Thank you Sean for making our day special and for allowing us to take our time (3+ hours) with our meal. A great server knows that a great dining experience is more than just great food and comfortable surroundings ... it means knowing what your diner wants (in our case, time to stretch our our meal and spend time talking and laughing together on a romantic evening).

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We walked here from the Delta Merrivale hotel. It was about a 10 minute walk and well worth it. I wasn't sure how it would be when we first arrived, as you walk into the bar/billiards area which was apparently hosting a private party. All I saw at first was a pizza buffet and a dessert bar.

We were quickly seated near the windows overlooking the outdoor patio in a quiet corner. Big Hoegarten beers (yum). Small salads (one Gabriel salad which was mixed greens, tomato, onion, pine nuts with basil pesto vinaigrette and one Greek salad). Both were excellent.

My dinner partner had the Tuscan chicken which he said was very good. I had the nut encrusted grouper. Very fresh very good. WAY too much food to finish with the salads to start.

I was quite impressed especially since I didn't have very high expectations.

I am from New England and eat lots of fresh seafood there, and in FL. I am quite picky and this was as good as the best local.

1  Thank mmlein
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This was my first time at this restaurant. I would go back, the food was good. We were greeted at the door and showed to a table - which was helpful - because when you walk in it looks like a big open space with a bar and pool tables - so you are not immediately sure if it is a restaurant. If I had not read the good reviews for this place, I might have turned around and left. We were shown to a table by the window - and our server was Jason who was friendly, attentive and helpful. We started with a "small" salad each. If these were the small salads, I would have hated to see the large ones - there was plenty to enjoy. I tried the caesar salad - as it is always my test in a restaurant - am I going to get a real one - or that thick gloppy white sauce that comes out of a jar. I was happy with the caesar - it was not a real one with oil and garlic - but it was not the thick white one either. My husband had a veal dish - and enjoyed it and I had the tuscan chicken which I loved. It was nice and moist with a very good sauce. I thought the food was better than the look of the place promised - so I was pleasantly surprised. Although I loved the taste of my chicken dish - I loved all the grilled vegtables that were on the plate - they were very flavourful and cooked perfectly. There was a lot of food - we could not finish everything - so there is good value for the price. The only small issue we had was a female server (who was not our server) swooping in without saying a thing, snatching the empty wine glass off our table and leaving - not asking if we would like another (which we did). It gave us the feeling - of ok - time for you to go. Anyway, we flagged down our server and he kindly brought us another glass. So, not a biggy - but some training is needed. I would definitely go back.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We had relatives visiting from Australia and they were looking for a good menu. We chose Gabriel's bc of their selection in appetizers, Pastas, Pizza, and veal/beef. The large selection of wine and beer on Tap was an added bonus. Our visitor where very happy with the pasta and "Cowboy" Steak. I seem to always fall for the pasta because it is prepared so well. The service from Tracy was exceptional and well timed......this is a great place to try with many options in their neighbourhood!

1  Thank Jason C
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I'm quite a picky diner and usually go to Toronto for the ambience and food, however, I really enjoyed Gabriel's and was pleasantly surprised! They had options of smaller portions and larger portions. We were dining with vegeterians, and Gabriel's was able to meet their requests! The pricing was excellent and they had a great variety of salads (with half-portions as well). I ordered a half-salad and small pasta and it didn't cost more than $25! On the other side of the restaurant are pool tables, which makes it a fun place to take guests and chat. The servers are easy going and nice. The wine list is quite good. Overall excellent restaurant, I would visit again!