“OK, but a letdown”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Based on their signage about a Fusion of Asian foods, I visited with a friend. She is Asian and I lived in Asia for a decade. We both wanted this place to be great, and it was merely OK. The decor is interesting, but not really classy. More like a big open cafeteria than anything. Service was slow. Menu was varied, but mostly routine fare. We tried four different dishes, and they were presented acceptably but again nothing special. The taste was just acceptable, too. I really wanted to like this place and become a regular, but one visit was enough to show that Asia is just "OK" and not a standout or even better than average. Will not return. No reason to.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Restaurant seems ok on arrival, but looking closer, the restaurant needs repair. Ordered a bento box. The miso soup bowl had bleach for storage perhaps as one could smell this when drinking the soup. A fruit fly flew out of my salad. On closer examination the tablecloths were stained and white paper put over top.The service seemed hurried but there was not that many patrons in restaurant. We would not return. Overall, the food was fair due to small quantity and lacking flavour.

1  Thank Fergielicish
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My wife and I had lunch at Axia a few days ago. When we arrived there were only two other tables in the restaurant with people seated (late afternoon, a regular slower time so understandable.)

Our table had drips of something on it from previous customers. The window ledge was dusty and had crumbs on it. The place looks great from a distance with the trees, building facades and japanese lanterns, but up close it's not as impressive. The server came to bring water and take our orders, and my water glass had lipstick on it.

Our meals took a considerably long time to arrive since there were only 6 other patrons. My wife ordered the Shrimp/Chicken Thai Curry and it was basically a few pieces of meat and seafood swimming in a vat of curry sauce. There were no vegetables to be found either, not as advertised on the menu. I ordered Beef and Chicken Satays, which were tasty and enjoyable but the menu stated 3 skewers of each and I received only two. When I asked about it, they said sorry it's 2 each regardless of what the menu says. Nice?!?!! My Olive and Mushroom Rice dish was bland and full of frozen vegetables and mushrooms, but I couldn't find any olives.

I thought about sending it back, but there was no 'quality check' by the server and I couldn't find any other staff member to flag down.

This is our third visit here over the past couple years, and will be our last. My wife requested this restaurant as it was her birthday and she enjoys asian fusion cuisine, but afterwards she asked me to remind her never to take her there again.

3  Thank Gburl78
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Took the family for dinner last Sunday. The place was nice and clean. The menu offers a wide variety of choices to select from. Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese - your choice... Bento boxes, sushi rolls, wonton soup, green curry, pad thai - they were all delicious! The servings were quite large, service was good, the place was well lighted, it was a good place to bring the family on a weekend...

3  Thank SimonOnvacation
Reviewed March 22, 2012

There are so many items tochoose from, most if not all can be satisfied. The serving sizes are quite large. We chose 3 different plates and had plenty left over to have a full meal at home the next day. I had a saki (warmed rice wine) which I had never had before I enjoyed the experience, and may have it again in time. The service is prompt and friendly. I would recommend a reservation as the restaurant is popular and you may be waiting a while to be seated. I do recommend this restaurant as my wife and I have visited it a number of times. The overall price may be a bit high however there are ample leftovers to be enjoyed the next day at home . We will dine there again soon.