“Not so tasty Taste of Streetsville”
Review of The Franklin House

The Franklin House
Ranked #874 of 1,676 Restaurants in Mississauga
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: The Historic Franklin House was built in 1855. Currently a Bar and Grill with two patios, two full bars, private party room, and parking. Streetsville's Biggest and Best Pub!!
San Francisco, California
“Not so tasty Taste of Streetsville”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We visited The Franklin House a few days ago because it was one of the participating restaurants in Taste of Streetsville.
There is very little seating which made me wonder how it could handle a big dinner crowd, but only three tables were occupied while we were there so we had no problem.
The service was good, the waitresses polite and helpful.
I had a steak sandwich which personally I didn't enjoy very much, but having had just that one dish I cannot make a general comment about the food at this establishment.

• Visited September 2013

Greeley, Colorado
“On the fence”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

While researching restaurants for our upcoming trip to Canada, I came across the Franklin House and I was immediately drawn to the Yorkshire pudding dish. I have loved these for years and the description sounded delicious, so I planned on having dinner here on our last night in beautiful Canada. Before getting to the food portion, let me preface this by saying that the weather that day (and the prior) were two of the hottest, most humid days I have ever experienced. Being from Colorado, we don't know what humid is really like! So, I must admit that we were pretty drained physically and mentally by the time we arrived, and my usual zest for a big dinner had somewhat diminished. We both ordered the Lobster bisque and it was amazingly good. Problem is, it was way too much! We could have, and probably should have split this. Note to the servers...when someone orders the lobster bisque AND the Yorkshire dish, ask if they've had them before, and if not, warn them about the size and amount of both. So then our main dish arrives and we are both floored. This was one of the biggest portions of food I have ever seen. The Yorkshire pudding looked like a portabello mushroom on steroids!!! It was way too much for one person. In addition, it also comes with mashed potatos and veggies. As for the taste, it was very good. I would recommend it, but would qualifiy it with a "share it with someone else!" One other minor note, we sat inside to try to escape the heat and humidity and the smokers outside (no offense to smokers, just don't like it mixed with my food) and it was almost equally hot inside the restaurant. Again, maybe it was just me not being used to the climate. the atmosphere inside was a bit loud, but we don't mind that...it's also a bar, so it's to be expected. the server we had was very nice, very attentive and was also training a new person that night. All in all, I would recommend this place, but unfortunately, we live so far away, we probably won't be back for seconds! Our loss!

• Visited September 2013
4 Thank jondalar410
Mississauga
“The place where no one wants to know your name.”
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

We went to Franklins religiously for over 3 years every Friday night. The waitresses changed a number of times. Then it started getting really popular around 2012 but we still got our spot on the ground floor. In all the years, and with all the variety of great waitresses we never met the owner or manager. No one ever came to greet us and thank us for supporting them. Gone are the days of the local small town pub where everyone knows your name.

It's not a cheap place and the portions are mediocre, they usually forget to put enough cheese on their Nachos and the menu is stale with very few options for sharing.

We've found a better place not far away where we are greeted with a handshake and a smile, this is what Streetsville needs to be more like.

1 Thank bansheeman
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
“Inexpensive and tasty roast beef special”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We were in Mississauga for a training course and staying at a hotel in the middle of nowhere. How refreshing then to drive 5 minutes down the road and land in Streetsville and find this nice old pub in a village setting. Staff was exceptionally friendly and the food was inexpensive and tasty. I had a roast beef dinner special and it came in a little yorkshire pudding bowl with steamed veggies and mashed potatoes. It wasn't fancy but it was mighty tasty and priced right. There was a band setting up for live music that was happening later in the evening (I think they have live music every Friday and Saturday night). If I had had more energy and wasn't expected back on my course 1st thing the next morning, we would have stayed and boogied a bit before heading back to the hotel. Oh, and their smoking area was a deck off the upstairs bar. Very cool place to hang out and watch the world go by!

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank donflatt
Mississauga
“Good Grub in Historical Pub”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

It is nice to see that this historic building is still occupied by a pub which can put out terrific food during the slow periods of the day in a slow season.
The lunch specials offered a seasonal butter squash and leek soup but I went with the Friday fish and chips. Reasonably priced huge double portion of tasty fish (although the batter was a bit thicker than it should have been) and crispy fries. Tartar sauce was home made and very complementary.
My buddy went with the batter fried chicken which was actually real and tender pieces instead of compressed parts like many establishments buy into for savings.
A fair selection of popular beers on tap was served quickly by our courteous server.
The patio is more popular in the warm months although it faces the busy main street but the interior is warm and homey looking. Although it looks a bit small there is a larger room upstairs which can also be a neat place for group/corporate meetings.
Good local spot in Streetsville.

• Visited October 2012