“Don't go out of your way”

Mondello Ristorante
Ranked #3 of 1,700 Restaurants in Mississauga
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The food is very good, but not worthy of more than 20mins drive. Everything was well prepared, although nothing was outstanding. Service was quite good and the menu has a decent depth to the variety of selections. Ambiance is average and during our visit we found noise level to be excessive. Wouldn't go out of my way for another visit

3  Thank must_travel_soon_10
There are newer reviews for Mondello Ristorante

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I really wanted to give this restaurant 5 stars but there were a few things that frankly were small but just were not quite there.
Pros: Had fried rice balls with peas and various other seasonings and these were absolutely exceptional. Also had the pasta with chicken and truffle oil and it was beyond fantastic.
Cons: The presentation of the caprese salad was great but it had several issues. Firstly the tomatoes were in big chunks with the center one being almost whole and were not quite ripe and the fresh basil was hidden at the bottom of the plate. This meant you had to basically manually turn your salad over and reslice your tomatoes to make it as it should be.
The lamb loin main was so thin that it should not have been sliced so thin for presentation but the flavor was great.
Our server was fantastic and was impressed the chef came out to check on our meal. This is a very good restaurant and I would definitely go back. If I could have gone 41/2 star I would have but just wasn't quite there for a 5.

2  Thank GrahamKerr_12
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were visiting Mississauga from London for a wedding and were advised to eat at Mondello. I've eaten in restaurants around the world but never expected to have such fantastic italian food. The chef, Nico, is exceptional. He prides on using the freshest ingredients (even the salads taste amazing) and is not afraid to make food tasty.

There was a bread, oil/vinegar appetiser which was delicious (the olive oil had been imported from a special farm in Italy but it was the bread and vinegar that stood out).

We had a mixed starter that included the softest fried calamari I've ever had with a fantastic sauce, the best bruschetta I've ever had (better than I've had in Italy), salad that was a pleasure to eat and interesting giant meat and rice balls that were good. We had two specials for the mains. Alligator ravioli in tomato sauce...which was spicy and tasted excellent. Seabass in a tomato salsa. The Seabass tasted so amazing that it really didn't need the tomato salsa (which was good separately by itself).

After that we were so full that we didn't get a chance to try the desert (which we heard from other people in the area are meant to be amazing).

The restaurant is very smart. Dress up but you can get away with a shirt and chinos. Service was excellent and exceptionally friendly. The hostess Heather is particularly skilful at hitting the right note.

Mondello is a real find that would be notable in any capital city in the world. If you get a chance, go, you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Bridgy666
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The staff was friendly, but the food was just average. We had the pasta with cream sauce, it was bland, I had to add alot of cheese and pepper to give it some flavour. My son had the pizza, and it was comparible to Pizza Pizza, not the gourmet pizza we were expecting.

4  Thank Leti A
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had dinner at Mondellos with our children (8 & 6 years) while visiting Mississauga. The food is good however there are no children's meal. Our kids each got a pasta dish which is fine but instead for paying around $10 for a kids meal you are paying $15-20 each. The food is higher quality which is nice and the service was good which we always expect when you are paying for it. The atmosphere is nice and the staff is friendly. I would recommend it and maybe go back if we are in the area.