“Convenient budget hotel with flair”

Alt Hotel - Toronto Airport
Ranked #3 of 61 Hotels in Mississauga
Reviewed January 9, 2013

As a frequent traveller who spends many nights in airport hotels my preference is to avoid shuttles and find hotels that are physically attached to or within walking distance of the terminal. For many years the only option at Toronto Pearson’s Airport has been the Sheraton, which is a good hotel if somewhat dated. The recently-built and well named Alt is an excellent Alternative to the Sheraton. To get to the Alt you take the inter-terminal train to the parking structure at the end of the line, and then it is a short walk to the front door (why that connection hasn’t been enclosed or at least covered is a mystery, but no big deal). The Alt is a low-cost concept by the group who operate Le Germaine Hotels, a high-end Canadian chain. The hotel interior and amenities have clearly been driven by budget considerations, but with sufficient flair to make them an enjoyable and fresh experience. The lobby is attractive, the rooms are well designed and pleasant, and the finishes are creative, although the extensive use of imitation wood-laminate looks a bit cheap and will probably wear poorly. The “restaurant” provides self-serve pre-packaged foods, with nothing particularly exciting, but quite acceptable for a quick snack. Recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Architectandmusician
Nicolas L, Manager at Alt Hotel - Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the New Alt Hotel Toronto Pearson.

I was delighted to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us on this occasion and found the design and feel of the hotel of very high standing. We are very excited to have been able to bring this fantastic new concept hotel to Pearson Airport and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

There are newer reviews for Alt Hotel - Toronto Airport

999 - 1,005 of 1,070 reviews

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The problem with staying anywhere but the Sheridan at Terminal 3 for a layover is that it was always $50 in cab fare return trip if you were staying at any of the other places close to the airport. Plus the wait for the cabs on both ends which can be annoying. Therefore the Sheridan became a better deal. Now with the Alt and their $99 rate, I save anywhere from $70 to $100 per night. To get to the Alt, you do have a short outdoor walk, about 100 yards. The queen size bed was very comfortable with great linen and lots of good pillows. You can't get dinner or breakfast there, but the Sheridan is only 6-10 minutes away. Nice 10' ceilings give it an airy feel. The shower had a high shower head which is good for the taller traveler, and there was plenty of water pressure. Which can be in short supply at some hotels with their water savers.

Room Tip: If you're a smoker and it's winter, tuck around the corner of the building to get out of the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Marie B, Front Office Manager at Alt Hotel - Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the good pillows. The free link train offers indeed a convenient access to the airport.

I’m sorry that you were not able to grab something to eat as we do offer a grab and go service with quality food made with fresh ingredients. The Altcetera offers you everything you need from breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks in between. Please don’t hesitate to ask one of our team member on your next stay, we will be happy to show you the different options available.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Marie Boissonnault

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Stuck waiting at YYZ to check in due to a delayed flight, so we took the airport link train to its stop at the Alt hotel. Spent a few hours in the lounge. Great atmosphere, lots of comfortable seats, tv, newspapers, food options and a pool table. Shuttle train ride here was very convenient and free. You can spend time here with baggage comfortably and without difficulty. Great service. Next time I stay in a hotel at the airport, I will choose Alt!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank suz71

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments on trip advisor.

I’m sorry that your flight transportation has caused you trouble but I’m delighted to hear that you were able to make the best out of it by spending time with us. The access to the link train is indeed very convenient and allows you to enjoy our facilities rather you are sleeping over of just passing time.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back shortly in our lounge or for the night!

Marie Boissonnault

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was excited to discover another kind of hotel in the Pearson Toronto Airport district, because travel always includes a three-hour drive...just to take my flight. Recently, I stayed at Alt and love the streamlined guest experience they offer. No extra fluff, no unnecessary details - from the moment you check in until you find your room, it's a very novel hotel concept. Their media wall is fascinating, the self-serve food court in the lobby is open 24/7, they make a great cuppa as you fly out the door in the morning (no in-room coffeemakers/mediocre brew) or a rewarding drink if you arrive late at night. Smart work area (all plugs are on tabletop), great overhead reading lights/bed, amazing bedding (choice of feathers/non-allergenic), fabulous bathroom (no tub but a great rainfall shower head), generous body products (no more fussy little bottles) and best of all? Gone is the heavy, space-consuming furniture you find in most hotels. Félicitations ! Must try the aerial train to the airport next time I'm there - I noticed the entrance to its departure area is right by the lobby.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same! No preferential treatment here - we're all treated to the same exper...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank December2012984031
Nicolas L, Manager at Alt Hotel - Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the new Alt Hotel Toronto Pearson.

I was delighted to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us on this occasion and in particular found our style of property to your liking. The Alt Hotel is a new concept hotel where we focus on ensure the basic luxuries are in place, e.g. good location, great service and a very good night sleep in one of our fantastic quality beds.

Once again we appreciate the comments and we do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I needed a room unexpectedly. This hotel is close by the airport train. I was told that all rooms are the same price, no senior discount, etc. It was new, so appealing that way - quiet, clean, comfortable bed. If I had a room-mate I wouldn't really like the glass wall from the shower into the main area. Every imaginable type of plug in is there for the tech people who want these. t took me a while to understand the light switches. I found the bed base more square than the round cornered mattress and so I bruised my legs three times when I passed the end of the bed. There is no coffee maker in the room, no free breakfast. I wouldn't stay there again because I thought the room very small and expensive, although attractive.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the new Alt Hotel Toronto Pearson.

I am sorry however that you did not feel that the product was to your overall liking. Alt Hotels offer a new no frills hotel experience to our guests. Ensuring a good location, excellent service and a very good night sleep are only some of the basic luxuries that we focus on. All of this at one set price throughout the year makes the Alt Hotel a great alternative choice property for those who are looking for something a little different.

Once again we thank you for your feedback and we do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the property in the future. Perhaps on your next visit you may want to try our Versatile Room which is actually twice the size of the room you had stayed in and has two queen size beds.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I missed a connection, so AC put me here overnight. Pleasantly surprised! Very convenient, 5 minutes from the terminal via the free train. I'd definitely stay here agin, if I missed a connection, or had an early morning flight! Modern 'IKEA' feel to the hotel and friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Nicolas L, Manager at Alt Hotel - Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Whilst we were sorry to hear it was due to a missed connection I was very happy to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us on this occasion.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future and with a hope that your next visit will be a planned one.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

There is no comparing the ALT Hotel to any other accommodation at Pearson airport. Why would you choose plain and monotonous over modern and hip?

The best is not only the most comfortable I have slept in, in all of Toronto, but admittedly all over the world. I travel for a living and have never slept in a more comfortable bed.

The bathrooms are just right and I loved the Argan oil products. Having literally just returned from a trip to Morocco, I was impressed as I knew how rare and expensive the product really is.

The rest of the hotel is beautiful. The hanging chair in the lobby is fun and the food that you can choose to buy was really tasty. I had a chicken panini while I worked from the seating area.

Seriously, worth the trip out from the city, even if you're not flying out anywhere.

Room Tip: Get a double room if you're staying with a friend or family--the showers have glass walls in the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Marie B, Front Office Manager at Alt Hotel - Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share those great comments on trip advisor. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our comfortable beds, the argan oil products in the bathroom and our delicious food options from the Altcetera.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Toronto!

Marie