“Just OK”

Ranked #834 of 1,648 Restaurants in Mississauga
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: south indian food, dosas
Mississauga, Canada
“Just OK”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

It took me four visits to finally know and write a review on this. I will rate this place an average place. Food is on borderline of being OK. I noticed stomach uneasiness everytime when I ate here which is my way to know about quality of food. You will find many boys and girls waiting to serve you, locating you a place to sit and thats it. Just when we sat, boy came and asked "some people know what to order. Are your ready?" Not sure if it is efficiency or eagerness to accomodate more customers.

Idlis (rice puffs) soaked in Sambhar (south indian curry) delivered with a fork. Got a spoon when I requested one of the boy to teach us how to eat Sambhar with Fork. Next order delivered was wrong which was replaced with the correct one. Asked for extra portion and waited long since the boy forgot and realized while he saw me waiting. Dosas seem not to have right proportion of rice and lentils making it taste different that what it should be. Uttapam (Thick south indian crepes sprinkeled with onions and chillies) was uneven making it half baked at certain portions. All in all, place to visit if you are bored from your regular places. Having tasted at Saravana Bhawans in London, Kuala Lumpur and Chennai, only one I liked was at Chennai in India.

My favorite remains the one at 40, Bristol road, Mississauga. Limited people to serve but done with a way and patience. More so it tastes same almost everytime, authentic. Little to find fault.

• Visited October 2013

Edmonton
“SPICY STUFF. NOT BAD.”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Extremely spicy stuff we asked for and turned out to be good. Nice south Indian place. Staff was nice. Cost is reasonable. Service was prompt. We tried the south Indian thali and was excellent, also the other dishes were good. Please try it once but ask them for non spicy if you cannot handle it.

• Visited August 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“A great south indian restaurant in Mississauga”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Located at 4559 Hurontario, this is a wonderful option if you happen to be in Mississauga. If you happen to be near the business center of the city, this is is a quick walk or a cab-ride.

Vegetarian food only. Vegan options are available.

The dosa is great, so is the kichadi, medu vada and the thali (special meal)

Apparently there's a weekend buffet but I've never had a chance to try it.

The three rice dishes that I've had there were all YUM! Bisibelebath, Bagalabath and Pongal.

If you are in Mississauga, go here ...

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Amrith K
New York City, New York
“Maintaining quality and taste”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Having dined in Saravana bhavan in 4 different countries, this is one place where they're maintaining close to the same taste as we get in Chennai. We went for a dinner on saturday. We were able to get the seats very quickly. And the service was considerably fast. I would definitely add this to the recommendation list for restaurants around Toronto.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank TamilPayani
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Beware of spoilt food on weekdays”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have been a patron of Saravana Bhavan for more than 20 years across many cities in the world. Over the past 5 years, the quality of the food and the level of customer service has nosedived, consistently across many of its locations, including its locations in Dubai, where I live.

But I saw the nadir of this trend, when I attempted to dine in this restaurant during my visit to Mississauga in II week of May. They actually served Dosas made with batter which has gone so sour. They also gave us chutneys some of which were spoilt. This was a week day evening.

Over the past few visits, I have been observing this trend wherein this restaurant attempts to peddle old and spoilt stuff, particularly on weekday evenings.

Obviously, we walked out. Then we proceeded to a newer south Indian restaurant a short distance down Hurontario and we managed to get what we wanted.

• Visited May 2013