“Cool for an over night trip”
Review of Glenerin Inn

Glenerin Inn
Ranked #1 of 13 Mississauga B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We went with another fun couple , the rooms were different , clean and the bed was very comfortable. Nice property .
Wedding the night we stayed , which was maybe why the staff seemed a little busy.food was just ok , but the prices wow ! 32 dollars for a 9 oz new York steak and it was one of the cheaper selections. 105 for the two of us and really very bland just ok food :(

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank franky472

Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was my second visit to the Inn. This cosy destination visit is the perfect getaway location within the city sitting atop a picturesque river valley. We were there for the couples spa that was extraordinary and they pampered us well.
The dinners were great, fine dining yet relaxed and the staff was friendly and attentive. The rooms are stately and used for executive meetings by day and dining by night. A perfect place for weekend weddings and a romantic getaway.

The whole complex of buildings gives an ambiance of intimacy without the trappings of hot tubs and cocktails that so often are associated with romance these days. The perfect place for a second honeymoon without leaving the city it overlooks a long valley trail system for those morning strolls.

Breakfast is as good as most with fresh eggs and typical selections, I was never concerned about the freshness of the items. There was a menu available.

The downstairs spa make the stay at the Inn a destination all in itself. Massaged in Couples we both felt very pampered. Well worth the time we spent to feel that relaxed and care free.

I recommend the Inn to everyone needing a little quiet in a great location surrounded by green lush forests and river trails. Truly a gem.

1  Thank Atsy
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We were in Mississauga for medical care and we chose this inn mainly because of it's close proximity to the walking trail which took us to where we needed to go without needing a cab.
The setting is peaceful and we love old buildings and this one has an interesting history. Our room in the ground floor of the carriage house was spacious and quiet with many large windows looking out onto the patio. The furnishings and bedding were new and up to date. The bed was very comfortable. The dinner was average to good. Have had better and have had worse.

However, there's a kind of quirky oddness to the service that's a bit hard to describe. It's not that it's bad service, there's just something missing. Example, on check in you are handed your key, but no mention of where to go to eat, where the business centre is, how to access the internet or other such pertinent details. We were told how to get to our room, but only after we specifically asked. No mention of where to park either, although we did arrive by cab and didn't need to park, no one asked.
There's a patio there and at the road there is even a sign "patio now open", but a person can go and sit at this patio and no one ever checks to see if you would like to order a drink or snack. Occasionally a staff member might wander by, maybe dragging a bag of laundry, and possibly they might say hello, or maybe not. If you want a drink, you have to go inside and hunt someone down. Once you find someone, don't ask for iced tea. They don't have such a thing in the summertime in steamy Toronto. They do have canned pop. They have wine and can make cocktails, but no ciders and there is no drink list. If you ask for a drink list you will elicit a bewildered expression. Don't try to get a snack around 4pm, this timing confuses people.
On the weekends they cater to weddings and this seems to take up all of their resources and attention. Paying overnight guests seem to be a mild inconvenience and distraction during these events.

The breakfast is serve yourself buffet, although the website seems to indicate there is sit down menu service, there isn't for breakfast. When you ask at the front desk what the arrangements are for breakfast, they point you in the right direction "it's over there". Breakfast is the same daily and consists of scrambled eggs (not the best but edible) sausages, bacon, cut up fruit and pastries. Average to mediocre quality. There is a toaster but it doesn't release the toast without a fight. There's coffee and tea, but not juice unless you ask for it. There may or may not be someone nearby to ask for juice. We observed one patron having to go to the front desk to ask for "something to drink other than just coffee". During the second day's breakfast a fire alarm went off for an extended period of time and staff did not inform guests of what to do, just kept wandering around with a coffee pot while the alarm rang. Eventually the manager and maintenance people came into the breakfast room but they did not instruct guests what to do either. So everyone just kept eating amid the clamour. It was quite surreal.
Lastly we needed to extend our stay one more night but were told they were fully booked although I didn't see any other guests and the parking lot was nearly empty and it was around 6pm. Maybe there were more guests coming later. They recommended another hotel and they did phone and get a rate for me, but it was expensive I wanted to look at options. We sat down in the lobby and struggled with my misbehaving tablet and maps etc trying to find rates and locations in an unfamiliar city. No one mentioned the full size business centre computer nearby that would have made things much easier, although they did offer us coffee while we sat there and struggled to make arrangements on short notice.
It's just odd, and incomplete, that's all I can say. We didn't really get that looked after feeling.

I would go again only for the location and the nicely kept grounds and the quality and ambiance of the room and the buildings. However if I have to return to the area for further medical care I think I would try and find a place where I can feel more taken care of.

2  Thank crackerjack86
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My first and last visit here. nice place, but seemingly poorly run. We arrived at 4.00pm (Check in time), only to be told that our room was not ready, it would be another 15 minutes. An hour later and still no room, but lots of apologies. Nothing to drink either, after asking repeatedly for at least a coffee they did relent and serve us. The room was OK but low ceilings, with lots of angles that prevented you from standing up upon getting out of bed. The breakfast was terrible, no coffee ( again), then no eggs, then no bacon, the only thing in plentiful supply was the fruit. It took four trips to the counter to get breakfast, one piece at a time. The bar was also not available for a drink as it was not as yet finished. This seemed to be the excuse for everything. I advise to go elsewhere.

1  Thank SteveLinda64
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is my first time I've felt compelled to write a review!
My husband nick-named our room "the attic".....small! Lovely shower though!
Breakfast was very disapointing! We arrived at the high point of breakfast so food should have been ready, hot and plentiful! If your going to do a self-serve breakfast the trays should ALWAYS be full and ready.....heard "on it's way out" way to many times! I even heard one guest have to ask for cutlery as that had run out!
Also, does not add to any "ambiance" when your watching the cleaning staff come through the eating area with all their wares!

2  Thank C S
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I run a small wedding cake business and delivered a cake to this location for the first time last week. It will also be the last time.

Having never been to this location before, I parked outside of the registration area and asked where I could leave my car for about an hour as I unloaded and set up the cake. The receptionist explained that if I left my hazard lights on, I could leave the car where it was. I did and proceeded to unload and set up the cake in the dining room on the other side of the building. Within that hour, I met several of the hotel and restaurant employees including a manager and the other receptionist.

On returning to my car, I found a $125 parking ticket. I went back inside to speak to someone about the ticket. The guest services manager and the two receptionists all exclaimed they had "looked everywhere!" for the owner of the car while they stood by and watched the ticket being written. Everywhere, I suppose, except the room where the wedding reception was being held?

In the end, the hotel refused to help me with the ticket. And because I don't want to stick the newlyweds with a $125 ticket attached to their wedding cake bill, I will be absorbing the cost personally.

If you do choose to hold your event here, please make sure you find out where your vendors can park and unload, and remind them not to take the word of the front desk staff unless they have money to throw away.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank V C
Jason M, General Manager at Glenerin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Dear Readers,

I along with the Guest Service Manager looked throughout the Inn including the room that the wedding was to be held in without any success. We also offered to assist the individual with the parking ticket in court but would not accept responsibility for paying the ticket. We offer free parking. This individual decided to park for over 1 hour in front of our building. This is the first time I have seen a parking official on our property and it is clearly unfortunate what happened and we are sorry, however, the area in front of our Inn is clearly marked as a fire route and can be used for dropping off luggage or to check-in only.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We have stayed in many hotels over the years, but this one tops them all. We spent a wonderful two weeks surrounded by huge trees and extensive lawns, and the graceful stone buildings of the hotel complimented the entire setting. All this right in the middle of the city. The hotel staff were wonderful, and, by the end of our stay we felt almost part of the hotel "family". We will be back

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DonB221
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mississauga
Admiral Inn & Suites
Etobicoke
Old Mill Toronto
Old Mill Toronto
#25 of 138 in Toronto

Been to Glenerin Inn? Share your experiences!