“Much better since the renos”

Hilton Toronto Airport & Suites
Ranked #10 of 61 Hotels in Mississauga
Reviewed June 13, 2009

I have stayed a few times in previous years at the Hilton Toronto Airport and had to say that the hotel was not up to par when compared to other Hilton properties in North America. Rooms were relatively small, the decor was extremely dated and overall maintenance was a bit of an issue.

It was my first visit since they have renovated one of the towers (South Tower) and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the new decor and the overal room layout. Don't get me wrong - this place won't win the "hotel of the year award" but it was a much needed improvement and for a short stopover/overnight stay it will do the job.

Overall, the rooms was still relatively small but the layout seeked to maximize existing space. For existing, the Sharp Aquos LCD TV was wall-mounted (which is good space wise, but not so good in terms of sound-proofing as you can hear the TV from the adjacent room). The work desk was adequate, the bed very comfortable and the room featured one additional seating area. The bathroom is extremely small with very little spare room to move. An intersting feature is an additional sliding door after the main door and the bathroom area. Not sure if this was done for soundprooding or decor but looked nice.

I did not use the gym during this stay but went downstairs to have a look. The gym and pool area has not been renovated. There is a complete weight room with 12 pieces of cardio equipment (4 bikes, 4 treadmills and I beliebe 4 stairmasters - did not see any cross-trainers/elliptical). The equipment looked somewhat old and is not up to the new Hilton standards (ie: with individual TVs...)

The Executive Lounge is in the non-renovated North Tower. In the morning it features a modest continental breakfast. Nothing to write home about, but nonetheless convenient for a quick breakfast.

Front desk staff told me upon checkout that they would be starting renovation in the North Tower this summer (July)

The hotel features an an-site restaurant and 24 hours room service. It is the 2nd closest hotel to Pearson Airport (The closest is the somewhat superior Sheraton, which is connected to Terminal 3). Within 5-10 minutes (walking or driving) there are a few restaurants that one can go to.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hilton Toronto Airport & Suites

Reviewed May 20, 2009

Not too much to say about this hotel, yes it appears it has been recently renovated but I could honestly say they cheaped out on everything but the flat screen tv. They want $5 per hour for WIFI access! Restaurant is expensive, room service forget about it!
I didn't need to get on the internet that bad anyway and it is slow to boot! This hotel will rake you for everything you do, so be careful. If you get a good rate just get in and go to bed and leave the next morning.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank cferg
Reviewed May 13, 2009

It took staff 20 minutes to check me in even though no one was in front of me and 4 workers were behind the desk. I asked if it was OK to keep my car out front and was told that if I did that I would be ticketed. That was the only answer I received. I then had to say, "Well, could you please explain the parking situation?" I went up to my room and the key did not work. I had to come back downstairs to get my key reactivated because no one answered the phone when I called from the hall one by the elevators. The elevators took at least 10 minutes every time I waited for one. Once I was settled in my room, I called down to the front desk to inquire about the business center because I wanted to check my email. I was told what floor it was on. I arrived and could not log on to the computer and saw that you had to pay for it. I called the front desk again and was told that their internet access was not complimentary and I would have to use a personal credit card or purchase an access card. Someone finally brought me an access card, and the time ticked away alot faster than a minute. I returned to my room and the key card would not work again. I called from my floor and someone came up with a new key card and told me not to store the card near my cell phone because it deactivates it. I advised that I am an avid traveler and know better than to put my keycard anywhere near my cell phone. The next morning, I had to wait 10 minutes to be seated for breakfast even though the restaurant was nearly empty. 10 minutes later, I was still waiting for someone to take my order/offer me a drink. I then waited 20 minutes for cold pancakes. When I returned from my meetings that night, my keycard did not work...AGAIN. I called from my floor and someone came up with a new key. He also lectured me about not storing it near my cell phone. This is the only time in the 100's hotels I have ever stayed in where I encountered this problem with the keycard. And instead of staff apologizing for the inconvenience, they treated me like I was a complete idiot. I returned to the front desk to ask for another access card to be charged to my room so I could utilize the internet service in the business center. This time, I was informed that there was free internet access for guests right off the lobby. It would have been nice if this option had been presented to me the evening before, and I could have saved the $5 that was a complete waste. My last morning when I returned from having breakfast, I AGAIN could not get into my room because the keycard would not work. I was at this hotel for less than 48 hours, and could not get into my room 4 times. When I was discussing it with my travel companions at breakfast, the table next to us overheard and they said that it kept happening to them, too, and that the staff treated them the same way. I work in customer service and I know that by being friendly and helpful, you can grow your business. I did not encounter any type of customer service at the Hilton Toronto, and I would not recommend it to anyone. And if you want a modern, up-to-date fitness center, definitely stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Irishgirl21N
HiltonFOM, Front Office Manager Hilton Toronto Airport at Hilton Toronto Airport & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent stay.

We certainly welcome all comments about our hotel, both positive and negative, in order to monitor the quality of our service and to ensure that our services correspond to our customer’s needs and wants.

I was disappointed to learn that your stay was negatively affected by both the check in process and the issues you encountered with your keys constantly not working. I was also concerned about the lack of options provided to you in regards to internet service within our hotel.
At The Hilton Toronto Aiport we take pride in our Customer Service and I apologize that we did not live up to your standards, these issues have been taken seriously and have been addressed with all staff so this type of incident will not happen in the future.
We pride ourselves on responding promptly to all guest concerns and we are grateful for your input and your remarks. We at Hilton Toronto Airport value your business, and hope you will continue to choose this property as your hotel of choice, whenever your travels bring you back to the Toronto area

Reviewed April 6, 2009

I have stayed here a number of times with my boyfriend for weekend getaways. I haven't stayed here since January 2009 but have stayed here regularly due to the convenience of staying in and around Mississauga.

The staff are always polite, the rooms and hallways are always spotless, and everything is always functioning - coffee pots, television, alarm clock, lights in the room, lights in the halls, etc. The lobby and rooms are very modern and attractive.

There's nothing great about the lounge but if you've got a vehicle, there are easily accessible restaurants along Airport if you're travelling by car or know how to use the local transit.

I did not like the fact of the limited free parking spaces in the front, especially if there is a line of people checking in and you take longer than 15 minutes - it's a bit worrysome. The cost for parking is also somewhat discouraging that after checking out you find a bill for at least $50 just for parking over the weekend. For that price, you could almost stay at the hotel for another night without a car! :-) Also, you have to pay for wireless internet, about $15 a day, I think! Don't quote me on that. Then again, don't most major hotel chains charge a finger and a toe for parking and internet access.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Clean nice modern rooms, great free shuttle service to the airport. Will use this place from now on every time.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2009

The hotel only has 5 free 15 minutes parking space at front, Guests have to pay for rest of parking space at front. not convenient. worst of worst, these short time parking spaces are managed by a third party, no tickets panelty is CD$37.00. and the front desk wouldn't tell you the detail and parking charge. I fell that the hotel sells their guests to third party. a parking trap.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
HiltonFOM, Manager at Hilton Toronto Airport & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2009

First of all I would like to thank you choosing the Hilton Toronto Aiprort.
I am please to respond to the above feedback on our parking lot. In the front of our hotel we do have five "15 minute" parking spaces these are provided to our guests as a convenience when they are checking in. The remaining parking spaces in the front lot are for "Short Term Parking" there are several signs to indicate that as well as several pay machines and the consequences of not paying eg.ticket. Should all the 15 minutes spaces be full and a guests inquires about parking for 15 minutes or less our bellman would be happy to give them a pass so they will not have to pay.
For overnight guests and visitors we have ample parking in the back lot, this charge will be processed on your room bill or you may pay on the way out.

Reviewed March 25, 2009

We have stayed at this hotel many times and experienced the good and the bad. This time we had refurbished suites which were booked online on the Hilton website. We stayed twice, paying $116.00 mid week for a huge suite complete with dining area and $89.00 for a smaller suite on our return ( a Sunday night). The beds are wonderful and the windows open which is a bonus for an airport hotel.
The new lobby and bar/dining room are a huge improvement.
We were put in the tower which was obviously in our favour.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mississauga
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Toronto Airport
#3 of 61 in Mississauga
Westin Toronto Airport
Westin Toronto Airport
#65 of 137 in Toronto

Been to Hilton Toronto Airport & Suites? Share your experiences!