“A favourite!”

Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This restaurant is a family favourite. Our most recent experience was not quite as good as previous visits. We had a variety of starters at the table - soup, salad and fois gras. The squash soup was delicious and very suitable for an October evening. Unfortunately, it was a very small portion. My salad with figs and goat cheese was very tasty. I was disappointed that the restaurant chose to serve fois gras. I asked if the duck liver had been acquired humanly and the server said he would ask. The response from the kitchen was that "It is not common practice to force fed the duck to obtain a good fois gras." Not entirely an acceptable answer. However, one of our party did chose to order it.
I ordered lamb shoulder and requested that it be cooked 'well done'. Unfortunately, it was quite pink and when I asked the server, I was told, "It comes like that". Had I been made aware, I would have chosen another entrée. Other diners at our table were delighted with their chicken and steak meals.
The desserts were, as always, delicious. I ordered the tiramisu. It was very tasty but a very small portion. The crème brulee was light and delicious and the lavender shortbread cookie added an interesting flavour.
As this is an education centre, it is known that the servers and chefs are students. Our server was very helpful and fairly attentive. We could have had empty glasses removed promptly and it would have been nice to have had more water. However, for his first night, he did a great job. We know the service and quality improve through the school year but considering this is early in the term, the students did very well. We look forward to our next evening.

1  Thank Jennifer J

Reviewed April 14, 2013

it is a nice restaurant run by culinary students. The menu is limited as are the hours of operation - through the academic year

1  Thank travels022