“Great stop if you're in the area”
Review of Zen Gardens

Zen Gardens
Ranked #48 of 1,087 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Central London
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I went here based on the reviews and proximity to my hotel. Really good vegetarian food for a good price. The service is very friendly and helpful in making recommendations (I was a bit clueless at most of the menu). Try the soy nuggets or fritters - they are both really good! I also loved my purple rice, interesting flavor.

Each night I went I got takeout but it wasn't exactly a lively atmosphere which surprised me since all the reviews are so favorable.

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I love this restaurant! All time favourite dish is Kung Po Soy-Chicken combo...filling meal for under $15.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Across the street from the Delta ...froed bean curd combo was yummy and fresh :) service was great .

1  Thank gypsyrose81
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Zen Gardens is just east of the downtown core in London Ontario, as as such is in a 'fringe neighbourhood' often avoided. There is street parking only, but it is within a short walk of three hotels (two of which are discount residence hotels). There is a sketchy convenience store on the corner, and a tattoo parlour just a bit around the corner, so it is wise to park a bit away at a meter if you are new to London or just passing through. Although London does have restaurants that 'serve vegetarian something' Zen Gardens ONLY serves vegetarian so the purists never have to worry about what touched a grill or got cooked in the oil. The two (both non-Asian, and the only staff there except for the kitchen) servers that were there that evening lacked any sort of enthusiasm for the job at hand and seemed far more interested in socializing with each other and take-out people picking up orders. We weren't checked on at all through the entire meal, and we ran out of utensils as they took them away with the empty soup bowls when they brought out the entrées. The food was served fast though, piping hot from the kitchen where it seems authentic Asian cooks where hard at work. As for the ambience, the first thing noticed was that there was only two Asian customers and they knew the cooks. The others were mostly eastern European and a table speaking Yiddish (all likely from the neighbouring hotels). The decor is OK, but there is little to dampen sound so voices carry and the music playing echoes off the walls of the small restaurant. The food was tasty, but the table lacked hot sauces etc, and the tempura we learned is best to be avoided (far too oily). The Butternut Squash Casserole was divine and the Spicy Eggplant was very good, but could have used more spice. I was accompanied by a health-nut who appreciates vegetarian cooking, but if I go again I'll have some shrimp and diced chicken in a Zip-Lock bag in my jacket pocket to sneak into my Hot and Sour soup. And, I'll bring some hot sauce too. If this place was on Richmond Row the university kids would pack the place every day from open til closed.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

A few minutes walk from the Residence Inn I stayed at and I was at Zen. I hesitated before going in and thought, "Why not?"

No regrets.

The Kung Po Chicken was simply exquisite. Tender pieces of chicken, just - for me - the right level of spiciness - accompanied with "purple" rice.

Good atmosphere, good food, good service, reasonable price. Why not!

1  Thank udomeidouwedo