“Great food but we will not go back”
Review of TRU - CLOSED

TRU
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central London
London Ontario
“Great food but we will not go back”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We are two couples in our 50s, and went on a Friday night for LondonLicious, so we booked a reservation a week ahead. When we arrived ten minutes early, we were told by a fellow to wait at the bar without being asked if we had a reservation. 25 minutes later, we were still at the bar (served by a very nice bartender). We mentioned politely to the fellow who had first spoken to us, and ignored us since, that we had a reservation and he said "I know" and walked away. At 40 minutes past our arrival, 30 minutes past our reservation time, we asked again, and were seated. We learned later the fellow seating us was the owner. Too bad. The owner's disinterest in customers was quite apparent (and surprising), and most of the staff (except a couple) seemed to have adopted his "don't make eye contact with the customers" philosophy. We were seated ten full minutes before a server approached us. This was now 7:40 pm for our 7:00 reservation. Our server Josh was lovely, but clearly had way too many tables that night. We had to ask for water to be brought to our table finally, and we had to ask for bread (as did a table beside us). We never got asked to refill our waters the entire night, and even couldn't get another glass of wine as there was never anyone to ask! After our salads, another server brought our mains and literally walked away without asking if we needed anything. Without being able to get another staff member's attention, my husband finally went to the serving station to get a knife for me. While there, another woman was asking for forks. Ridiculous! staff were walking around, but didn't smile, didn't make eye contact, and seemed to treat all of us like a nuisance rather than their reason for being.

The food was good. Four salads (two caesar and two of the beet salad) were crisp, cold, and tasty. The entrees (risotto, lamb, steak, and pork) were all delicious and we liked them alot! The desserts (cheesecake, pecan tart) were delish! So with this good food, why won't we go back? Because there is alot of competition in London - lots of restaurants have great food. The differentiator is great SERVICE, and Tru simply doesn't have that. We liked Josh, but the Owner needs to model the behaviour he needs from all his staff and kick up the customer service ALOT. Smiles on the faces! Eye contact with the guests! Ask them if they need anything! We spent over $250 and feel that they did not appreciate our business at all. So long, TRU!

Ontario
“Not very welcoming.”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We went to Tru for Londonlicious. It was my first time here and I enjoyed the atmosphere. We asked for a place to hang our coats and the waiter told us to use the backs of our chairs. This didn't quite work out because half of our table was seated at a bench. It is not an enjoyable dining experience to be in a high-end restaurant sitting on your winter coat. Needless to say, we were not impressed when we saw the waiter hang up another table's coats!

We asked to see the regular menu (to find out what they serve regularly, in case we wanted to come back), and we were told we could not see it because only Londonlicious items were being served. Bad move Tru, the whole point of Londonlicious is to bring new people into your restaurant then to entice them with options to try at a later date.

I don't generally judge a restaurant until I try the food. I can put up with reasonably bad service/atmosphere if the food is amazing. This food was good, but not spectacular. I had the salmon, and my risotto was freezing cold. Others at the table enjoyed the steak, though they thought the portions were tiny. We were disappointed to hear that one of the three Londonlicious menu desserts was sold out. Definitely strange for a 6pm seating!

I will probably give this restaurant one more shot, but my first try was average at best.

London, Canada
“Tru restaurant Londonlicious”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The service was slow, we were offered one drink when we sat down, they even screwed up my husband's drink. As soon as we ordered a cocktail they took the wine glasses off the table and never offered us another drink until dessert. I wanted wine with dinner but that wasn't going to happen. Dinner was just okay. All four of our meals were cold. The lamb was terrible. I almost had to pick it up like a caveman and naw on it. It was a big knuckle with a bit of meat on it. It's the first time I have left a restaurant still hungry. Actually all four of us were still hungery. We felt like we were a burden to the restaurant. The purpose of Londolicious is to get people in there and make them enjoy their meal and feel appreciated so they will come back. I know we will never grace their steps again.

London, Canada
“horrible service, great food”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We went to Tru for the LondonLiscious. The menu had lots of options to choose from and the meal was great, but the service was horrible and it wasn't even that busy. Everything took forever. At one point all of our water glasses and drinks were empty for an extended period of time and we actually had to make a point to get the waiters attention to order more drinks. Then when we finally got his attention, he only took 2 of our drink orders and neglected the other people at our table. The drinks were also super expensive, the cheapest glass of wine was $9 and the all the martinis were $10 and that only got you a very small amount.

• Visited January 2013
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
“London Licious choice”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We were fortunate enough to visit TRU with friends to enjoy the fixed menu of Londonlicious. There were quite a few options on this fixed price & I would imagine it was easier for the kitchen, as we were not offered their regular menu. The place was packed & this formula seems to be working for this resataurant. My calamari app was exceptional, as was the pecan tart for dessert. However, lamb shank needs to be served with a 'steak knife', as short of picking it up & knawing on the bone...it was very hard to eat. Another of the other choices - steak was delicious, but small portion & along with 5 green beens & a scoop of mashed potatoes...really didn't seem like good value. Lets say, a few left with an unsatisfied appetite.
Service was attentive, but very slow. As we were enjoying an evening out, this was fine, but if they wanted the table...they could have had it an hour earlier than we finally got a bill. Washrooms are clean & ambiance elegant - overall a lovely evening.

• Visited January 2013