“Londonlicious 2014”

Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Central London
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We went to the Black trumpet on Friday August 1. Our appetizers were good, I had the braised short rib for my entree which was good but only 2 asparagus spears seemed a bit stingy. My friend had the mahi mahi and said it was excellent. My other friend had the duck comfit and it looked disgusting. It looked like it had been sitting under the heat lamp for hours. It tasted ok, bit overdone. The ice cream had to be home made as the strawberry ice cream was delicious. The brownie was excellent too. The service was good and they accomodated my friend who couldn't have alcohol in food. What deserves an excellent mark though is their patio, it is gorgeous. Who would have thought an oasis like that on Richmond St.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I had been to the Black Trumpet once, back in 2008 I believe. I cannot recall what I ate (probably mussels, or seafood of some sort), but I do recall it was heavenly.

When I saw that they were included in London Licious this year, and I looked over the menu, I knew I had to go back.

My partner and I were NOT disappointed! The service was lovely, the drinks were prompt, and the food was again, heavenly. You'd never know when you walk past the front entrance, but they have this lovely little garden/patio area, with a lovely fountain, full grown trees, and tables at various spots. You must sit on the patio for a summer evening, even if just for drinks, because their patio has a feeling of magic!

The server was very polite, and while I asked many questions about ingredients in some of the dishes, even though she didn't know for certain, she was more than happy to check with the chef.

Highly recommend this for a "birthday" dinner, or date, or to celebrate a special occasion. Certainly not a cheap dinner out, but completely worth the indulgence!

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I live right around the corner and had never been to The Black Trumpet. My boyfriend and I visited this past weekend during Londonlicious and was I ever surprised. Great atmosphere, wonderful service and amazing food. The patio is like a hidden gem in the heart of downtown. very peaceful and private. Great experience and I can't wait to return.

1  Thank Christine H
Reviewed July 26, 2014

My friends, six of us in total experienced The Black Trumpet last Tuesday evening, July 22nd. We had a nice table outside on the patio, but I encountered a few problems. First of all, our server greeted us with a so, so welcome and no smile. Our appetizer was okay, but very small. Our entree, most of us had duck, was only a small leg, which I know would not satisfy most men. It came with a potato pattie, and a very small salad on the same plate as our meat and potato, and some chutney. I don't like juices running in to my meal from a salad that wasn't served on the side! Also, we had water, and I asked for a refill with lots of ice. What came was just the jug, which he filled everybody's glass with. Obviously, he ignored my request for a glass with lots of ice! Dessert was very good but overall, the meal was "okay". We had different people serving us every course, except not our server! He looked after the water and wine, and of course gave us our check. When I received my bill, I was flabbergasted to see they automatically added on a 17% tip!!! He asked if there were any questions, and I said yes, why was the tip added on automatically? He said it was usual practice for six or more people and that they had been doing it for a few months. I said, it is not like we were a huge group, and I told him I was not happy. He immediately took my check and everyone else's and took the tip off. My one friend said her tax and tip was more then her meal, which is ridiculous!! I don't mind giving a decent tip for superb service, in a supposedly fine dining restaurant, which I did not feel we received. Furthermore, they were not busy at all and this just adds to the frustration!! I doubt that I will ever frequent this restaurant again. London is my home town, and there are many other great places to choose from when dining out!

1  Thank Pamela A
Reviewed July 26, 2014

With friends , they had a varied menu at a set price of$35 for 3 courses we had tempura maki rolls as appetizers My wife selected the mussels, the chef agreed to do them in a wine ,cream , butter sauce, DELICIOUS ! For main courses we had, beef tenderloin bow ties, E had duck confit, unfortunately the duck was a bit overdone , J had seafood linguini, lots of shrimp , mussels , scallops in a white cream dill sauce , I had the beef short ribs all were beautifully presented, our only negative would be the duck overcooked and the short ribs could have used more gravy. Dessert we opted for the trio of house made ice cream, and Carmel glazed brownies, all were delicious. A beautiful evening, good food , good friends In a great setting!

2  Thank Harry D