“Service and decor very good. Food not so good”

McGinnis Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #241 of 1,110 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Canadian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

First time at this road house.

Decor is very nice with an open fire pit.

Servers were friendly and quick.

I had the roast beef. It was well done. Too much for my tastes

Had to send meal back because mashed potatoes had way too much salt.

3  Thank dan459us

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Had dinner with some friends last month and while the service was top notch, the food was boring, bland and forgettable. Three of us had the Margherita pizza and not one of us liked it. Tasted like soggy cardboard with canned tomatoes. Ristorante frozen pizza has more flavour. Another friend had the turkey burger and enjoyed it. Keep giving this place chance after chance, and it always disappoints. It won't be on my radar anymore.

1  Thank Sharon K
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Had lunch with my wife. She had the burger and beer special with a side salad. I had the chicken pot pie with a salad. Both well cooked. Nothing to rave or complain about.

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Physically the place is charming, but the service was just mediocre, and the food was flavorless. We tried the prime rib burger, fish and chips, and chicken pot pie. They were all terribly bland and unenjoyable, and the burger was charred. All in all pretty disappointing. Would not recommend.

1  Thank Gerald D
Reviewed March 19, 2014

A favourite lunch spot in London, and I always order the same dish. Few restaurants understand the simplicity of a Margherita pizza. The three ingredients represent the colours of the Italian flag: fresh basil (green), mozzarella (white), and tomatoes (red). McGinnis sets these in nice proportions atop a tasty flatbread brushed with olive oil and garlic to produce a pizza that allows the individual flavours to emerge in each bite. I must admit that being Irish, I like a little extra green, so my favourite server "Mel" always makes sure the pizza is loaded with jalapenos. Even so, the underlying fresh flavours manage to emerge. Friends who have sampled other items from the lunch menu have been pleased with everything they have ordered, and my family enjoys lunch here as well. The kids menu is especially well presented, and each entree comes with appetizer ("munchies"), choice of sides, and dessert. My only complaint with management is that they somehow decided a while ago to substitute a mediocre stout for Guiness at the taps. There is no "substitute" for Guiness, period. Now I just stick to the excellent Granville Island Pale Ale.