“Reliably Tasty Thai”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central London
Description: Voted 2012 - 2018 the Best Thai, Best Vietnamese, Best Takeout. On HuffPost’s Best 25 Places to Eat in London.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I've been to several Ben Thanh locations, and they all vary in size, service quality, and cleanliness--but you can always expect delicious food. I went to the London location on a Sunday afternoon, and it was actually pretty bustling. We got a pot of tea immediately without even asking, which is great. The beef stew was amazing: spicy and tender. My red curry was thick and super spicy, just how I like it. My only complaint is how run-down and dubiously clean the place is. It reeked of chlorine, probably cause they were cleaning the floors, and I swear my chopsticks smelled gross. In any case, I had enough food for lunch the next day, so I could enjoy it for longer.

Date of visit: February 2013

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Hands down the best Vietnamese restaurant in London. Although a bit pricier than other restaurants of this type that I've tried, the food is the best of its kind in London, and the service is better than most anywhere. Try the rice dish with pork and chicken (plus a fried egg is you're feeling adventurous) and the Nam roll. Also, for strong coffee lovers, get the Vietnamese iced coffee with condensed milk. You won't be disappointed.

Date of visit: January 2013
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We were in London for an event at Western University last week and stopped at Ben Thanh Viet Thai Restaurant for lunch. The restaurant is in a small strip mall with inadequate pay parking, however, we did manage to find a spot. In the entrance area of the restaurant is a sign telling customers to ask for a parking voucher from them for parking after 5:00 PM on a weekday or anytime on a weekend. When someone came to show us to a table, I pointed at the sign and asked if we need to pay for parking at this time (noon on a weekday) and she very clearly and unambiguously said, "No!"

To our unpleasant surprise, when we returned to our car there was a $74 parking ticket on the windshield. As we were in a hurry to get to the event at Western, we did not go back to the restaurant to inquire about this. The food wasn't bad, although the prices were somewhat higher than what you would expect for similar cuisine in other cities, but unless the parking situation changes we will not be returning to Ben Thanh.

Date of visit: November 2012
1  Thank mars_phoenix
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Both locations in London are good but south is better, friendlier service, better atmosphere and the food is more consistent. Excellent bbq pork rolls (507) and the yellow curry chicken is delicious - too much to choose from on the menu, makes ordering difficult because it all looks so good!

Date of visit: October 2012
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

When traveling to Toronto, we always stop here for lunch. The food is excellent, the prices great, the atmosphere delightful, and the service fantastic. The squid with lime, vegetables, and sea salt (#440 !) is to die for. The shrimp is always fresh and delightful.