“First and Last Checkout”

Howard Johnson Inn London
Ranked #24 of 41 Hotels in London
Toronto, Canada
“First and Last Checkout”
Reviewed November 3, 2010

My wife and I recently made a trip to London, and after a little research, noticed this location had one of the better rates going as far as chain hotels go. That said, we made an online reservation and headed down to London the following weekend...

Upon arrival, I walked into the main lobby, approached the desk, and checked-in in a reasonable amount of time. Sadly, things just seemed to go all downhill from this point forward. Below is my summarization:

ROOMS: Incredibly poor quality by Howard Johnson standards. Deceiving to the eye from the walk down the hallway (which looks fairly clean and reasonable from the outside), upon sliding the key to our room, we were greeted by lots of broken furniture, cigarette burns in the linen, random stains on the ceiling (see photos for evidence) and even found ants crawling in one of the side table drawers! in addition, the A/C/heater wasn't working when we arrived, and as the manager explained, kept tripping the switch every time it was used! Needless to say, this was incredibly frustrating. There was also a VERY pungent odor (smoke we ventured to guess?) that permeated the room. On the plus side, the bathroom was clean and the room had a good wireless internet connection, but not enough to outweigh the laundry list of negatives.

STAFF: Completely indifferent to guests, neither rude nor polite. The front desk was helpful when we asked about fixing the A/C unit, however, completely shot down our request for an extended checkout (we only asked for an extra hour as we accidentally slept in late). Their reasoning? Not because they were expecting to be busy (on the contrary, it was super quiet that day), but rather because the cleaning staff "wanted to go home early that day". You'd think we had asked to stay until the evening and serve us dinner on their finest china, all we'd asked for was an extra hour to get our things together. No dice, they were having none of it, and started knocking on our door 5 minutes past the original checkout. How's that for customer service for first timers?

LOCATION: A bright spot here. Located very close to Highway 401 and the main artery of Wellington that runs through to downtown London.

AMENITIES & OTHER STUFF: Didn't use any, but as aforementioned, the one small postive was their speedy wireless internet access.

THE VERDICT: Some of you may be asking why we didn't complain and air our grievances with the hotel staff, but in my opinion (based on the numerous hotels I've stayed in over the years), I've always ascribed to the philosophy that a customer shouldn't have to complain in order for a hotel to provide the guests with a comfortable stay and quality service. If they can't figure that aspect out themselves, they shouldn't be in the hoteling business. There are lots of places out there that are looking to provide the bare minimum just to get out of spending the money to attract repeat visitors, and rather cater towards the one-timers who come in armed with very little knowledge of the place, lured in by the attractive room rate (like we were), and boot you out with the door hitting you on the way out with no intention of having you back. The Howard Johnson Inn in London is just such an example of this kind of place. Finishing off on a positive note, there was lots of free parkng, but I think I can figure out why...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I recently stayed at Howard-Johnson in London, Ontario for 2 weeks. It was by far the best experience I have had in a long time. First and foremost, location is excellent and easy to find. The price was extremely reasonable at 59 dolloars and one of the best bargains in town. The rooms were so clean and a lot bigger than I anticpated. Fitness centre, business centre and laundry service were readily available. Big parking lot and parking was free. The service was exceptional. Not only were the staff most friendly and helpful, they also made every effort and went above and byond to accomodate customers. I was pleasantly suprised to find out the the Hotel was build a few years ago which explained why the facilities were brand new. The daily continental breakfast was absolutely delicious! I would recommend making reservations in advance because it is a popular destination and almost always sold out on the weekend. Without any hesitation, I would most definitely recommend this hotel to friends and families who are in the area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank wyz
Ajax, ON
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I went to this hotel with my husband, and it was an "ok" experience. Nothing special, and I didn't care too much for the setup in the room. The best part of the hotel was the complimentary breakfast. Other than that, I wouldn't care to return.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I booked on expedia for a NON_-Smoking room, was given a disgusting smoke room asked for a non-smoking room. They said they were full and couldnt help me!! It is clearly a smoking hotel. Ill never stay there again, you get what you pay for. Party's going on all night and the front desk would do anything about it. I should have called the police.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2010

i have stayed in this hotel with my family and friends on july weekend we booked 4 rooms Hotel was very clean the staff's were very nice and helpfull , brakefast was great
we enjoyed our stay at this Hotel if you are going to London please look for this Hotel
you will enjoy staying their

• Stayed July 2010
Budd Lake, New Jersey
Reviewed June 29, 2010

If you just need a place to rest your head, this is the place to be. It's walking distance from the White Oaks Mall and many restaurants.

The cleaning staff were very nice. The front desk staff were friendly, but it took 4 complaints for my clogged bath drain to be fixed. I also came home to find my A/C off in 85 degree heat, ruining my medications.

The breakfast doesn't offer any healthy choices like skimmed milk or a low sugar cereal like Corn Flakes. Most people are health-concious and prefer something low sugar, low fat for breakfast.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Ontario
Reviewed March 25, 2010

We stayed at the hotel while attending a sporting event in London. The rooms were comfortable and clean (however, the bathrooms were very small). While the continental breakfast was adequate (juice, coffee, waffles, toast apples etc), for those who seek more substantive meals the hotel was close to a selection of restaurants.

Given that this was an inexpensive hotel, I would recommend the hotel to those seeking reasonable accommodation for a moderate cost.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple