“Great place to stay close to University Hospital”

Windermere Manor Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #15 of 41 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 6, 2013

It was a 12 minute walk from this hotel to the University Hospital. The suite was lovely. Very clean, quiet and spacious with 2 queen beds. The staff couldn't have been nicer to me. I stayed there 4 nights. The breakfast was "ok" with some hot choices on the weekend. It was also only about a 15 minute walk to Loblaws, The Bay and Sears. I would definitely recommend this lovely manor.

Room Tip: I had a suite on the 3rd floor over looking the front of the building and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Windermere Manor Hotel & Conference Centre

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I chose this hotel for it's proximity to the university - I had a morning meeting and didn't want to drive in that morning. It was seriously 5 minutes from the building that I needed to get to at UWO. The room was quiet, clean and we didn't have any issues. It's a bit old school with having actual keys to get into the rooms, and the bathrooms are a bit outdated, but there is nothing wrong with them. I liked the fact that parking was included - as was a 'healthy start' breakfast for two, pretty much a cold breakfast bar with fruit, cereal, granola, yogurt and bread/pastries. It was only an additional $5 for a hot breakfast off the menu - good value.

I would definitely stay again if I needed to be in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The suite was okay, a little run down bathrooms need to be upgraded and cleaned. The staff can be very rude. They are more concerned with their rules than with the comfort of their clients I stayed here because my husband had surgery at UH and was hospitalized for a month. I was up to london as often as I could manage, on my birthday my son and his family came to meet me and when I mentioned it to the front desk I was informed that stayed in my room too long I would be charged an extra 15 dollars per person and my daughter came and brought her little yorkie the desk clerk came up banging on my door several times then called and told me to get that dog out right and even after they left banged on my door and kept calling and hanging up on me I guess to prevent me from getting any rest when I asked her to stop she said I was a liar and she didn't believe that the dog was gone and would charge me another 50 dollars. It was so nice to be treated with such disrespect with my husband so seriously ill and on my birthday. I hope you are treated as well when you have difficulty in your life. I would recommend this place to no one. It is to be avoided if at all possible.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My father had to go for some cardiac pre-surgery tests very early in the morning at University Hospital. My parents live in Windsor, so I decided to book them into Windermere Manor for the night before the tests. It looked like the best option not only because of its close proximity to the hospital but also because of all the favourable opinions expressed by other tripadvisor members.

I'm glad to say all those other members were correct. I was NOT disappointed.

From my first email inquiry to one of the managers, to the young lady I spoke with when making the reservation, to when they actually checked in (and during their stay), every single person at the hotel was courteous, professional, and extremely helpful and accommodating. That was very much appreciated, since my parents are seniors with limited mobility.

They loved the suite they stayed in and said it was large, very clean, and that the beds and pillows were very comfortable (my mother also loved the down duvets). They also enjoyed the free continental breakfast and said there was a good variety of items to choose from.

As for me, I was very happy to get such a positive confirmation that I'd made the right choice. I will definitely be bringing them back to Windermere when my father's surgery is scheduled.

One more point — the hotel grounds are beautiful. As another reviewer stated, you'd never know you were in downtown London. It's very peaceful and tranquil. If you do have a relative staying at the hospital, I'm sure a stroll through the trees (or even the view from your window) might have a bit of a calming effect and help to relieve at least some anxiety.

1  Thank James007Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I wrote this review to the General Manager and never got a response....
it is indicative of the lack of care at the hotel....

"Just a quick comment on how disappointed i was with our recent stay. I was here with my family for a funeral over the weekend and couldn't of been more disappointed.

First the rooms are dark and gloomy. Buy light bulbs!
Second we had no hot water in the morning. An hour later, It was explained that you turn the water down at night and i have to run my shower for a long time to get the warm water back. I had my shower at 830 by that point the hotel should have ample supply. A very unpleasant way to start a day!
Third, The picture on the wall is warped and out of the frame, the sink needs re caulking etc.. no care or upkeep apparent.
Fourth, We asked if you have herbal tea bags in the rooms. The answer a sharp "whatever is there" then "no". Then i received a call back saying "call room service".

Its all fine to be ecologically friendly but not at the sacrifice of basic principles; light and water.

In summary, i find The hotel lacks attention to detail and basic hotel functions. If this was some discount place I might understand, but we paid the same rate as i would of at the delta armory (much to my dismay my sister in law selected this hotel).

I must say i did appreciate the bereavement discount that offered to us. And the original check in fellow was exceptionally pleasant and helpful. Other than that, it was a disappointment.

I hope you find ways to address some of these issues to improve your future guests experience."

Room Tip: avoid the hotel...it was the same price as the delta armory and the London suites hotel - and you ge...
1  Thank Martha05
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Very nice place. It's an older building but well maintained. The room was large, exactly what we needed. Service is impeccable. Parking available for free onsite. Breakfast was typical continental fare but fresh and hot. There really are no complaints.

Room Tip: We had the double queen with a living room. The space is good for couples with kids.
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Staying here makes it hard to believe you are almost in downtown London. You are surrounded by nature and deer abound. The staff are friendly, and the rooms are very comfortable.
The meals are excellent! Their rates for relatives of hospital patients cannot be beat and you are just a 10 minute walk (if that) to University hospital. I agree with another reviewer that the air conditioner units are very quiet- that sure makes for a great night's sleep.
We have stayed here 3 times and don't even think about trying out a different place. Everything we need or want is right here.

Room Tip: Get a room that looks out over the ravine and woods---watch the deer.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple