“Not quite the picture postcard”

Windermere Manor Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 11, 2013

When I saw the beautiful photo and website, I expected an elegant experience. This isn't exactly how it turned out, although I did sleep well. But elegant it was not. Maybe it was just my room, but the bathroom was quirky, including faucet handles on the sink that were just plain wonky. The furnishings and carpet were old and outdated, but certainly not classy antiques. The receptionist was also extremely perfunctory. So the room was definitely a bit of a disappointment. However, I did appreciate the restaurant, both at dinner and breakfast. This was much more in line with expectations. The house-made toiletries were also rather nice.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Andri07

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I was visiting Western and they kindly put me up in this place near their campus because their usual accommodations had no vacancy. My room was the king suite, with some home-like comfortable furniture. It was on the first floor at the east end of the building, and there was some noise from an outside fan or heating component. My stay included a breakfast buffet, with an option to pay for hot menu items, in the cafe, a short (but snowy) outside walk from the hotel area. There was one computer with internet in the hotel's second floor business lounge, and another computer station in a very small room on the first floor. It would have been an easy walk to campus in better weather, but it was snowing both days. There is adequate parking, and the hotel's entrance door has a circle-drive drop-off, but the front desk area is a bit cramped, and there wasn't really a good place to wait inside for my ride to arrive.

Room Tip: My first floor room had a window close to the sidewalk, so higher floors might have more privacy and...
Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Adam C
Reviewed March 18, 2013

They treated us as honoured guests and I cannot thank them enough. The city of London and the Staff at Windermere made this a truly unforgettable week.

Out stay was 5 nights and we were part of a group of 50 guests who attended the World Figure Skating Championships. From the check in process to the check out the staff demonstrated their skills in ensuring our stay was wonderful and memorable. Our suite with 2 queen beds and a pull out couch suited our needs, was spotless, incredible fresh, and was made up before we returned from our daily breakfast. |If you are looking for the slick new look you will not find it here. It is a timeless look with really comfortable beds and pillows and hot hot water which are always my main comfort concerns . The bathroom products were superior. Double bonus is the fact it overlooked the bee keeping wooded area and the windows opened. The honey is delicious and available for purchase.

We had breakfast every day and the choices beyond the continental breakfast were yummy and served incredibly hot and promptly. The three course dinner had us drooling from the caesar salad to the creme brulee and yeast donuts. Oh my we loved the chef. We only managed one lunch which again was lovely. Seven deer were spotted numerous times outside the dining solarium added to the charm.

In addition the great hall which could accommodate around 100 guests would be my choice for a smaller intimate wedding or celebration if I lived in the London Area.

The location basically in Western University grounds made for interesting walks down memory lane for me as I attended Western for three fun filled years.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Located on the property of Western University, this was my fourth stay at this hotel. Although a good 10 minutes from downtown, this quaint manor-like hotel has excellent service and beautiful suites. In town for the World Figure Skating Championships, the price of the hotel included a cold breakfast buffet during the week and a hot buffet on Saturday and Sunday. The Windermere is five mi urea away from the Masonville Mall and several restaurants. Because I had a car, getting to the downtown core took roughly 10 minutes. If you want a unique experience in a hotel that is not the typical chain, I highly recommend the Windermere.

Room Tip: There are some suites on the main floor if you wish to avoid stairs or the elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Clara1953
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I went for my birthday.. Had the king Suite..had a wonderful bed and new TV.. everything else was outdated.. but didnt mind.. it was very clean.
Wished they had at least water in the mini fridge. The dinner was awesome.. food amazing.. service could have been better.. The patio and tables were beautiful..loved having the quitar music.
Breakfast.. . had to wait.. for eggs.. (Buffet) and the servers didnt know that they were out.. I dont know if they where short staffed or not.. but same happened to the coffee.. left.. without my second cup.
It is a wonderful place to relax... it was so quiet..good place to read a good book.
My internet worked fine.
Fresh fruit was out by the desk in the morning as coffee..the Cafe is a walk away..Parking was a little walk.. but you could park up front to unpack..Cant wait to go again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WandaAnnR
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We loved staying here!! Such a beautiful setting....quiet and relaxing! We saw deer on the hill when we arrived! It is hard to believe this spot is in the centre of a busy city. You would never know it. The beds were so comfortable we did not want to get up in the morning. The cafe was excellent! The service and food the best! We will certainly be back! Thank you for a wonderful mini vacation!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had the dinner with my supervisor here and the restaurant is so great. It is located beside a hill so we can wee the snow through the big windows. And we order the 3 course dinner that night with the shiraz wine, it costs us about $30 per person, which is good price. Definitely will come back

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business