“Modern, Clean - Very Nice - Only 1 complaint”
Review of Courtyard London

Courtyard London
Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in London
Hamilton, Canada
“Modern, Clean - Very Nice - Only 1 complaint”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed here while moving our daughter out of one home and into another for University. Our stay was one night (Tuesday to Wednesday). The lobby was small, very modern decor. Very clean. We were on the second floor, room 202 (this is important to note). Walked off the elevator and was very pleased with the decor, the carpet. It was very nice. Our room was very clean, nice decor again. Soft pillows (Saw that mentioned in another review), white linens and duvet. I appreciated that there was a "sheet" used as the top layer of the bed instead of a comforter. The bathroom was very clean, and what appeared to be a granite counter top. my ONLY issue was, (this issue would only affect a few rooms on the second floor I'm sure), early in the morning probably between 7:30-8:30, the beer store was there to pick up and drop off kegs and beer cases. The cooler and room that holds these is DIRECTLY beside room 202 so we were awoken by very large clanking and rough handling of the kegs. I popped my head out to see what it was because it did last awhile. The beer store employees apologized for the noise. If you stay here and wish to to wake up on your own terms then I suggest you ask to be moved elsewhere. Who knows, the pick could be once every couple of weeks for all I know. But it was annoying and guests should be made aware. Oh, lastly, indoor pool was nice, small but perfect for a few people. We had the pool to ourselves while we were there. Towels were rolled up on side tables for you to use. Good music was playing throughout the lobby and pool room. That's it. Enjoy your stay! I would definitely be booking here again, just on the other side of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sbcooper
Tony C, General Manager at Courtyard London, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Hi sbcooper
Thank you staying at the Courtyard London while moving your daughter into University and I hope the move went smoothly.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the guestroom and lobby areas and as mentioned in another review; the soft pillows.

I appreciate your feedback regarding room 202 and our beer store deliveries and thank you for highlighting this concern. After discussion with my F&B Manager and the beer store I have requested that they deliver later in the afternoon while the room is not occupied rather than early morning.

I hope that you return to stay at our hotel while visiting your daughter at University.

Tony Cowie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This place has undergone some changes with the name change, and its a nice place. The lobby is modern looking and the rooms were very clean and kept well. Don't bother going to the lobby to buy a bottle of water because you will be charged almost $4 for it! That was the only thing, as small as it was, that really bugged me! I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chris s
Hi Chris s

I am glad you decided to stay at our NEW Courtyard by Marriott London. I am delighted you enjoyed the changes we have made during our renovations and that the guestrooms meet your needs and expectations.

I appreciate your feedback on the bottled water and we are currently offering a bottle of water in our market for under $4 plus taxes.

Wingham, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Ended up here a night because of bad weather after an appt. It was clean , the rooms are freshly done. I appreciated the fact they actually had a soft pillow, that's always an issue for me, as most are too firm for my comfort. Close driving to other restaurants on the Wellington road strip. There is a bistro on site, I didn't try it. I would defiantly return here.

Room Tip: I was near the highway end, and found it quiet enough for sleep.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Barbara d
Hi Barbara d

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Courtyard London and taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that your stay was confortable following your appointment and that you liked the pillows.

I hope to welcome you to our hotel again in the future.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This Courtyard is located just off the 401, 2-3km east of the junction with the 402 from Sarnia. I was here for one night.

Check in was crisp and polite, and she thanked me for my status with Marriott.

I was upgraded to a King Suite, which was similar in size/layout to an Embassy Suites room or a Hyatt Place. Very nice. Clean and with current Courtyard soft goods and amenities.

When I needed to get directions to my appointment for the next morning, a very helpful manager came over while I was googling up some maps and helped out. This was unsolicited, and welcome advice, especially relating to traffic patterns/times

I ate dinner out (The Keg is just down the street, and has great steaks!), as I’ve had Courtyard Café food way too many times. I did have a glass of wine while catching up on emails, and it was cold and reasonably priced.

Wifi throughout the property was strong.

I was disappointed to come down in the morning and discover that this Courtyard did not have free coffee. Perhaps this is a Courtyard-wide initiative, but I don’t like it. We used to be offered one type of coffee for free, and then Starbucks if you wanted to pay. In fairness, they charged roughly Starbucks-store prices for their coffee, but I thought free coffee was one of the perks that came with booking a limited service property…

Overall a nice stay. I’m giving it 4 stars because it fully does what it needs to do, what it says it will do, and does it well. It's perspective on what a limited service hotel is supposed to be... for that category, this Courtyard does it well.

It’s not a resort hotel with great views or amenities. It’s not an airport hotel which gets bonus points for proximity. It’s not a downtown Toronto hotel which is next door to my meetings… It’s a suburban, by-the-highway Courtyard that does everything it’s supposed to. If I needed to come back to London, I’d happily come back. If I was looking for beaches, skiing, airport proximity? Not so much.

2 Thank Chauncey_Gardiner
Hi Chauncey_Gardiner

Firstly thank you for choosing to stay at our NEW Courtyard by Marriott London and I thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay.

I am delighted to hear that our hotels meet with your expectations and that my staff helped make that possible; our Bistro is designed to allow our guest time to relax and work in a comfortable space.

The Courtyard brand did recently make some changes to the Complimentary coffee program worldwide, however will still offer freshly brewed Starbucks at our Bistro.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel when you return to London on business.

Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Great location right off the 401. Very comfy bed and very good internet service. Rooms are always well appointed and gotta love the extra plugs that the Marriotts offer for plugging in my 2 computers, my cell phone and the iron.

TV is really slow to turn on and really reacts very slowly to channel changes. Another suggestion is to make the TV Guide channel obvious. I travel a lot and each town has the TV Guide on a different channel so it gets frustrating to locate it. A label on the remote with the TV Guide channel would be very much appreciated.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ANDRE O
Hi Andre
Thank you for sharing your feedback on the Courtyard by Marriott London. I am delighted that the bed, internet services and plug outlets made your stay seamless.

I will have our engineering department review the televisions to ensure a smoother operation.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel during your next business trip to London.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Decided to check in for one night, as weather was bad and traveling back to Toronto would have been hazardous. Room was 110$ per night and in my mind, overpriced for a Marriott Courtyard hotel located on the edge of town, nowhere hear the airport or even downtown.
The problem was there was almost no service there- a small little restaurant with a guy serving patrons in the morning who were just looking for coffee and he couldn't seem to get his act together.
I waited 10 minutes for him to pour a coffee after paying for it- he went into the back, started making somebody breakfast, and then he went over to the front desk to inquire about something, and I wasnt sure what he was doing, but it wasn't his job, anyway.
Not impressed. As far as having sleep- Well, the heating unit kept cycling all night, and waking us up. It was noisy and unfortunately not a fixable problem.
I notified the front desk staff on check out and they told me "they would fix the problem". Well, I have two issues with that- it didnt matter to me, as I was leaving, and secondly, its an engineering problem with these wall mounted heating/AC units. They are noisy and thats just the way it is. So if you are looking for a good night's sleep in a quiet environment, forget it. It aint gonna happen at this hotel. Go somewhere else. I won't stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are a heavy sleeper, the noisy AC unit may not bother you. However when it starts up, its ver...
3 Thank Rotex29
Tony C, General Manager at Courtyard London, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Hi Rotex29

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback from your stay at our hotel. I appreciate all feedback from our guest so that we able to enhance our guest experience and improve our service standards.

I sincerely apologize for the lack of service you received during your stay and I can assure you this is not the standard I set for the hotel.

I have passed your feedback to my Bistro team and the noisy A/C unit was fixed following your departure.

I hope that you would consider returning to our hotel on your next visit to London.
Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The newly rebranded Courtyard by Marriott in London Ontario follows the Courtyard formula to a tee. The Bistro, info wall and room layout is very familiar but still comfortable and pleasing to the eye.

This was my first stay at this property but it will definitely not be my last. The staff was warm and attentive, the room was clean and quiet.

2 Thank Ken M
Tony C, Manager at Courtyard London, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hi Eyeno

Thank you for the review on Trip Advisor and I am delighted you choose to stay at our hotel while on business in London and our hotel met with your expectations.

We are delighted to be part of Marriott family and I hope to welcome you back to our hotel the next time you are on business in London.