“Lovely and Local”
Review of The Root Cellar

The Root Cellar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Root Cellar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 1,102 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Cafe
Description: The Root Cellar is an organic, farm to fork restaurant located in the Old East Village in London, Ontario. We serve a from-scratch seasonal menu of all organic foods focusing on locally grown produce. Lunch available daily 11am-5pm, dinner available daily 5-9pm, and brunch available Saturdays 9am-1pm. We believe that food is political, that the choices we make about food--what we choose to eat and who we choose to support by doing so--resonate throughout our community, our economy, and our planet. At the foundation of this project is a commitment to invigorating our local economy, discovering the plenitude of our local foodshed, supporting sustainable agricultural practices, and working cooperatively.
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I enjoyed a delicious lunch with a colleague here this week. The decor was lovely. A really charming mix of old and new elements, very welcoming and bright. The service itself was timely and friendly and the other patrons also appeared to be enjoying themselves. Now the food.....outstanding. I had the Captain Planet Bowl, an Emerald City smoothy and we shared the vegan chocolate mousse with cardamon and sea salt for dessert...omg, to die for.

I look forward to going back and trying some of the breakfast items as well.

Well done.

1  Thank Melissa D

Reviewed July 22, 2014

My friend and i spent a couple of hours getting caught up and having lunch. The restaurant was very understaffed, it worked out because we were not in any rush. The ingredients in all of their drinks and dishes are made and grown locally. The beet latte is definitely worth a try. The beet and goat cheese salad was delicious. I like to support a local non chain restaurant with such a beautiful vision.

1  Thank LEllen12
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Londoners and visitors should definitely check out the Root Cellar Organic Cafe & Bakery. They have a wonderful selection of healthy juice/smoothie concoctions, as well as interesting tea/coffee choices, like a Maple Chai Latte! I've always been happy with any baked goods I've ordered there - cookies, muffins, etc.
The service is also great - they're friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about what they make and sell. They also operate On the Move Organics, which takes orders and delivers local, organic, seasonal produce for your home cooking needs.
The atmosphere in the Root Cellar strikes a balance between feeling both homey and funky. Their recent renovations are beautifully done and it's a pleasant place to sit and chat over good food and drink, winter or summer. Highly recommend!

1  Thank BitByTravelBugs
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Clearly some of the guys in the kitchen are better than others. I would not say the food is hit or miss, it is consistently good and it's only going to get better now that they've expanded and added a liquor license.

The ppl working the coffee machines are definitely inconsistent, I know who not to order anything that can be made bitter now, which is a shame. But all that said, I think this place is great and I go there quite often. It is a great space (it was to begin with) that has only recently improved quite a bit via expansion. It's a good place to park your rear end and read, or to go on a casual lunch with friends or a date.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

I still can't believe I am lucky enough to have this cafe in my community. Seems like yesterday we discovered their juices when we were picking up our CSA box at the market. We went to The Root Cellar for lunch today and were very impressed with the new expanded space. It is beautiful with thoughtfully repurposed materials and work of art light fixtures. You have to see this place - words can't do it justice. My Captain Planet Bowl was yummy, as usual, and my son had poutine with vegan gravy that is tastier than any meat gravy. He was really impressed with the miso noodle soup too. Usually I stop by to pick up cinnamon buns or cookies and almond milk lattes but I will be going back to try more of their soups and salads. Very local, very fresh and very funky.

1  Thank Lynnonthego