“Great food and value”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The food here is always excellent, and still a great value even after the recent price increase. The burgers are reasonably priced and come with your choice of however many toppings you like, chosen from a selection of over 50 different kinds. The other items on the menu are also great, and the portions are huge. The selection of beers is excellent, and changes seasonally.

The worst part of this restaurant is by far the speed and the service. The waiters and always friendly and accommodating, when they happen to get to you, which basically happens never. Also, the food takes forever to come out of the kitchen. I've been there 5 or 6 times, and my food has taken at least 35 minutes each time (I check my watch), even going alone.With a party of 4 friends, it took literally 56 minutes from ordering to food, plus about 15 before we could even get our order. We got there at about 10:00, and were starving, expecting reasonably fast serve times since the restaurant was relatively empty, but instead, our server took forever to get to us, and the restaurant was basically closing by the time we got our food, so we had to rush through it. Basically, come before you're hungry and bring a book.

Overall, I'll definitely be coming back, I love the food there and it's a good value, but I've learned what to expect. The servers and kind and friendly, but inattentive, and the food takes far, far longer than it ever should to reach your table. Once it finally gets there though, expect a good meal at a decent price.

1  Thank Christopher T
There are newer reviews for The Bungalow Neighbourhood Hub

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My wife visited The Bungalow Hub for lunch, on her recommendation, since she had a pleasing experience there with a friend several weeks before. The Hub (pub) is located on a residential corner in the leafy Old North section of London.

We arrived for a late Friday lunch, getting the last place in the parking lot, and the last table inside. There was also only one table left on the shady patio. We were warmly and courteously greeted, and our server was with us within a few minutes.

The restaurant is tastefully decorated in the style of an upscale British pub, with lots of warm wood, exposed stone, and upholstered booths. Large flat-screen TVs in every corner showing a golf match were somewhat distracting. The full restaurant was quite noisy, making conversation a bit difficult.

I liked the selection of draught beer, with a variety of import and craft beers not often found in London. I chose a Silversmith's German-style Schwarzbier, a bit thin as compared with the German "black beer" upon which it is based, but with rich caramel overtones, hints of coffee and chocolate and a properly bitter finish.

My wife settled for water, about which it is hard to rhapsodise ecstatic.

My wife chose the salmon burger, accompanied by a Caesar salad. The salmon was crispy and flavourful, the sambal spicing delightfully sharp. It made for a delicious sandwich.

I chose the tuna burger, which the menu promised to be "seared ahi tuna steak topped with spicy wasabi aioli and Asian slaw." Chefs can rightly disagree on what seared tuna is to be like. The Bungalow chef opted for quickly seared on the outside and raw on the inside, still cold throughout. I might have opted for a bit more cooking. Inasmuch as that super-rareness does fit one fair description of seared tuna and I it's "against my religion" to send food back to the kitchen, I let it ride. The wasabi aioli was minimally spicy and the Asian slaw limited in quantity.

Service was warm and friendly. Our drinks arrived quickly, and the food in reasonable time considering how busy the restaurant was.

Even though I was disappointed with my own meal, the taste I had of my wife's meal was superb. There are several more beers on the draught menu I would like to try, and several other items on the food menu that appealed to me. I would want to give The Bungalow Hub another try before forming a firm opinion.

2  Thank James G
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

First time visit to the Bungalow before heading to some fireworks yesterday. What a great little restaurant and I can't believe I've never been here before! Amazing selection for build your own burgers! My husband was quite pleased with the draft selection as well! Our waitress was so kind and friendly. We will definitely be back!

1  Thank Olivefood
Reviewed June 23, 2013

"Besides the stuff LOPPING OUT of the sides as it was delivered to the table, why is this caesar salad served in a RAMEKIN? Why must food be jammed into a tiny cup, set to explode the moment you put a fork in it, like that can of peanut brittle with the spring-loaded snake inside?"

3  Thank MoxieLondon_Ontario
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I went solely for the appeal of a hidden gem and the great food. So far, the burgers are the best I've had at a restaurant. The service is okay. The staff was a little slow, but not slow that I would go ballistic.

1  Thank Mohamed E