“Best craft beer in London”

Milos' Craft Beer Emporium
Ranked #80 of 1,087 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: American, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Home of fresh seasonal food, as much as possible sourced from local growers and farmers, showcasing best of Ontario craft breweries and rare beers from elsewhere. Friendly, laid back, causal atmosphere catering to those who prefer small and local over large and corporate. We are proud of our food and beer and invite you to sample it. Every member of serving staff is Certified Cicerone Beer Server. Milos is around for most of the time and always willing to talk everything local, especially beer!
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is your best bet for Ontario craft beer in London. Over 25 taps which change constantly with some of the best craft beers that Ontario has to offer. Friendly staff, great beer, good food, and a good vibe combine in this excellent pub.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We've been here a few times and they definitely have the most extensive, changing list of craft beer. I've never eaten a whole meal here but the appetizers and desserts I've tried were decent. The menu is small and pretty standard gastro-pub food, but there seem to be options for everyone. It's a good environment and a nice atmosphere inside too.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We've been here multiple times in the past year, and never had a bad experience. They have an incredible selection of craft beers, local and imported.
The meals (dinner or bar menu) have been good to great. Best duck confit I've ever had (sadly not on the menu now). The gnocchi, meatloaf sandwich, chickpea burger and pork chops are all very good. They change their menu periodically (look on their website), try to use local ingredients and cook from scratch.
Even if you aren't a beer enthusiast, go for the food (try the cider or the grapefruit radler!).

Reviewed March 1, 2014

January 2014

Relevant Information

Milos’ is located on the corner of Talbot Street and Carling Street in downtown London, Ontario.

There are plenty of parking opportunities in the area and as a result was not an issue on the Wednesday night that I attended. I easily located a spot on Carling and paid no fee as it was after 6:00pm. However, during the day or even on a busy night, free and/or close by parking may be a little trickier to find in the area.

I made a reservation for four. Reservations are not required but may be advantageous on their busier weekend nights.

Milos’ offers a large bar, plenty of seating and a killer microbrew selection that is constantly being updated with new and exciting selections. If draught beer is not your thing then there is also an excellent selection of adventurous bottled beers including a $400 bottle of 10th Anniversary Utopias 2012 Samuel Adams 710 ml 27%. Of course Milos’ has all the regular bar and non-bar beverages available to suit any taste.

Type of Cuisine

Milos’ is a bar that boasts an upscale pub menu. There are three menus to choose from: evening, lunch or bar food. Local food sources (not limited too) Thornloe cheese, Everspring Farms, On the Move Organics, Hasbeans and Eco-Logic Nursery are procured when possible.

To start we shared:
• Selection of locally cured meats and cheeses, spiced almonds, marinated olives, toasts $17
• Daily soup – wild mushroom $6
• House made potato gnocchi, with pulled pork, old cheddar and green onion $15

Our mains included:
• Dry aged grass fed P.E.I. strip loin, with duck fat roast potatoes, horseradish butter, watercress $29
• Crispy roasted ½ organic chicken with Brussels sprouts, bacon & potato hash, smoked paprika / honey glaze $21
• Local kale & quinoa roasted beets, spiced sunflower seeds, goat’s cheese, aged balsamic dressing $12

Dessert we split:
• Lemon curd with black pepper biscotti

Beer we drank:
• Czechvar
• Smashbomb
• Radler
• Naughty Neighbour
• Cask #1
• F&M Seasonal

I highly recommend the crispy chicken and Brussels sprouts. The skin on the chicken was the perfect level of flavourful crispy and the meat was succulent and satisfying in quantity. If you haven’t tried Brussels sprouts or aren’t particularly fond of them then this is the time to give it a second try. This plate rocked!

The steak was great but a definite departure from the usual. This organic, grass fed, dry aged meat was red, juicy, flavourful and tender despite not being heavily marbled like the traditionally served steaks. The potatoes cooked in duck fat were a delicious side.

The best appetizer we had was the meat and cheese board. There was something for everyone on it and the flavours were in concert with the beer. This app can stand on its own and would be good for anyone in the mood for a tasty snack but not a full meal.

Another menu item worth mentioning is the house-ground beef burger on an onion Kaiser with old cheddar, vine tomato, lettuce and the option to add bacon $14 ( + $2 bacon). Although I did not sample the burger on this date I’ve heard from several sources that it’s excellent and is their best value item.

Quality for the price

Overall I feel that we got our money’s worth for the entire meal but that the menu is modestly overpriced. On the other hand, my memory of the crispy, tasty, chicken makes me regret having to mention the cost. The chicken was worth every bite!

The service was good. The reservation was acknowledged and we were seated promptly. The waitress was quick to take our drink orders and provide us with menus. She was very polite and positive and handled our group’s uniqueness with grace and patience. Our appetizers came out very quickly. There was a moderate delay for our mains. As soon as the words left my mouth that the food was taking too long the server was delivering our food. The beverage service was regular although you had to ask for water. Dessert was served without delay and the bill wasn’t long behind.

The positives – The dining area was clean and inviting. The seats, table and dinnerware were in good repair and made us comfortable. The noise was at a minimum for a bar which allowed for ease of conversation with my dinner guests.

There are a few televisions around the restaurant either displaying the usual sports/news or showcasing Milo’s adventurous beer assortment.

Other notable items were the collection of draught pulls and the chalkboard art work. Nick Farmer, the head bartender is also Milos’ resident artist! Nick's complete works can be viewed on the restaurant’s website.

The negatives – The lighting was dim which in turn made the décor appear dated, dark and dreary.

A compounding factor that did not help with matters was that the heater had conked out not long before our reservation. There was a definite chill in the air inside the restaurant that lasted our entire visit. I realize that this was something unable to predict but I would have felt less annoyed had the staff advised us of the problem, apologized then up played some customer service perks by offering something gratis. Instead I had to ask why the restaurant was so cold and no apology or minimizing offer was had.

Summary

I would definitely go back to this restaurant as well as recommend it. If you’re looking for a casual, unpretentious space combined with good food and beer then Milos’ is the place for you.

Bon appetite!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We went there for lunch and we pleasantly surprised at the selection of beers available. I tried a number of local craft beers and enjoyed all of them. The staff were knowledgeable about their beer menu and were very helpful. We all had a great time.