“A hidden gem in London, Ontario” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Bar, Canadian, British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
Newark, New Jersey
“A hidden gem in London, Ontario”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

During a recent business trip, I found myself in London, Canada. I was only in town for one night and had no idea where to eat. I started asking locals where a good place might be. A theme emerged quickly - The Coates of Arms. The lady at the liquor store, the limo driver at the Hilton, even another restaurant owner where I stopped for lunch, had the same opinion. Get you to the Coates of Arms. I arrived that night around 7 or 8. It's a quaint and cozy restaurant and pub with traditional English pub decor, stately and clean. No sooner had I entered the place than the friendly (and extremely attractive) wait staff greeted me and escorted me to a table on the patio where I could enjoy the fine June weather. I asked about local beers and to my surprise the waitress was a virtual mental rolodex of beer knowledge. She detailed the wide selection of brew and stunning assortment of rare scotches available. I settled on a drink and ordered the Cajun crusted sole with grilled vegetables and wild rice. The meal arrived quickly and it was OUTSTANDING - probably the best Cajun dish I've ever eaten. Portion size was excellent but it was so good that I was tempted to stick around for a couple of post-meal beers and maybe sample a couple of the appetizers - and why not? Stanley cup hockey was on the big screen and a small crowd of familiar (to each other) locals were beginning to form by the bar in anticipation of the game. To my surprise, the chef, a slender young man who looked like a 13 year old version of Henry Rollins, came out to ask me how I enjoyed my meal. I immediately recognized a thick maritime accent of a much older man - many a swig of screech had galvanized his voice into a raspy gravel. I was stunned such a strange character could have concocted the delicious meal I had just eaten. The 'regulars' were extremely friendly, engaging me in conversation about my visit to London and encouraging me to try some of the pubs signature drinks. "The Windy City" suggested one such 'regular' sitting at the bar. He said it with such mysterious foreboding, I was too tempted not to find out. I ordered the drink at the bar to which the handsome barkeep only nodded knowingly. Of course it was delicious and in no time I was immersed in friendly banter and revelry with this crowd of Coatesians. After a couple hours had passed and more drinks, I began to get hungry again and ordered the "Warhammer nachos" in cahoots with one of the other bar patrons who had befriended me. Will it be enough for both of us I asked? Laughter ensured. What arrived were nachos of such gargantuan proportions, I could easily imagine a small platoon of navy seals leaving leftovers. I heartily endorse visiting the Coates of Arms pub if you are ever in London, Canada. Prompt, friendly service, amazing food prepared in good portion sizes at a low cost, and knowledgeable bar staff familiar with all manner of drink highlight this pub tucked away off the beaten path in London.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank Josh A

London, Canada
“Must have gone on a bad night”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We went to the Coates of Arms for dinner on a Thursday night. The pub itself was warm and inviting as well as our server. We started with the "Blooming Onion" which is an onion sliced and opened up. It's battered and fried and served with chipotle sauce. It was delicious and a great way to kick start our appetites. I found the prices a little high ($16.95 for butter chicken in what they call a huge Yorkshire pudding). The chicken was overly seasoned and the pudding was overdone. it came with a Greek salad which was very good. My fiancée ordered bangers served on top of shredded beef in a Yorkshire pudding. When the food was brought out she ended up bangers and beef served over mashed potatoes. She asked the server where her pudding was and she (the server) didn't realize it came with one. She might have been new however the cook should know how to plate these dishes. Her dish was brought back in to be plated right. I had finished my meal (by that I mean I couldn't stomach anymore of it) before she even started. When it did come back out it looked great. The shredded beef it came with looked and tasted more like fried roast beef from a deli. I really enjoyed the setting and will give the Coates of Arms a second chance. I think I'll stick to the specials though. $90 for a few drinks and dinner is steep considering its a pub.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Denton H
London, Canada
“best pub in the city!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I agree with those that say of all the pubs in the city this has the most authentic "British" feel to it. Great atmosphere and DELICIOUS food! Try their chicken wrap, burger, or flat bread!

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank dpmf
Toronto, Canada
“most British of the pubs in London, Ontario”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

The atmosphere and staff are warm and friendly, from the staff with easy smiles and quick wit to the roaring fire in the fireplace... We will definitely be going back.

The prices are reasonable for what you get. Stick to the more traditional pub offerings as opposed to things like the chicken wings that were only fair. Hubby had bangers and mash - a truly generous portion of mashed potatoes, skins on, and tasty sausages. He was even offered more gravy part way through his meal... thoughtful. I had the breaded haddock sandwich on a panini bun with chipotle-lime sauce. It comes with lettuce and tomato, both of which were very fresh. The fish could have been a larger helping considering the size of the bun; however, it was right for the price with superb fries accompanying. The were fluffy on the inside, crisp on the outside and a good portion that I could mot finish. We split an order of the wings, too, as they were on the specials board and one pound was only $7. We got a medium sauce and asked for them to be on the dry side. They definitely were not over-sauced; however, the sauce was extremely liquid-like and terribly vinegary. The wings were jumbo, no doubt, without breading and very moist, but the skins were not crispy, so even though the wings were cooked, that crispy skin is what entices me and it just had not been achieved.

They offer several "Yorkshire" dishes, that is, offerings served in a massive Yorkshire pudding bowl... there is beef, of course, but also things like butter chicken in a Yorkshire bowl. We were assured all of those were exceptionally delicious. I think that's the type of thing I'll try next. They also offer Toad in the Hole, fish and chips, pork and apple pot pie, a cottage pie, etc, etc...

We'll be back, and often.

Oh, by the way, there is a decent selection of alcoholic offerings, too... we just don't drink much.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NickAndNoraHoneymoon
Toronto, Canada
“A classic English Pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Went there with a bunch of friends. The atmosphere was warm and inviting, they even had a fire going. We got the nacho's, wings and artichoke and red pepper dip. The food was delicious and the service was great.

• Visited October 2012