“Nice place for a casual meal”

The Morrissey House
Ranked #25 of 1,093 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/242/1501233/restaurant/Ontario/The-Morrissey-House-London, phone number...(519) 204-9220
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Our server was very friendly and the atmosphere was relaxed. The food was good. Nothing to write home about but no complaints either. The seafood chowder was the best of the items we ordered. Our group was impressed with the beer selection and would recommend Morrissey House for that reason.

1  Thank jennylaika

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had been recommended to eat at this place from our hotel's reception desk. We sat outside, the tables/chairs were very uncomfortable. Everything we had to eat was spicy! I hate spicy food, and none of it was listed in the description as being spicy. The spring rolls were good but had some spiciness to them. My boyfriend's steak sauce tasted like liquid chili powder, and my pulled pork was so spicy I couldn't even eat half of it. Not to mention that we were not checked on after we were served our food, and so I ran out of water and couldn't force down the spicy sandwich because I had nothing to wash it down with. This chef needs to lay off of the spice!!! I will say I think they were having a busier than normal night, but we were still annoyed and very unimpressed with the service. We had to grab someone to ask for the bill, and after we complained about the food/service, he was nice enough to subtract over half of the bill, which we appreciated. Would not eat here again.

StevenPatrick359, Owner at The Morrissey House, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

The perfect storm of events! Monday night is quiz night, and I know you arrived at 7:30, just as quiz was beginning. Quiz means that we are full inside and only have patio seating, but more importantly, it also means that we have about 90 people inside all ordering at the same time. The Monday night staff is usually very adept at letting people know how busy the night is, how long the wait is and we do try to recommend other fine locations nearby if patio seating is not conducive to the expectations of the evening, or the wait times do not fit into the schedule. Apologies if you were not informed of this as you sat as again, in referencing the perfect storm, if you have been a half hour before or after, service would have been different. We have tried things to make it easier for staff, for example, the water station on the patio for those times that you just cannot wait! The specials that we run on a Monday (#meatlessmonday as it is our vegetarian special day) are also run with this in mind, to make service just a little bit easier.

With respect to the spiciness, the veg spring roll description does mention the spicy plum sauce, and the steak does say that is is served with an ancho butter. I will make sure, the next time that we change the menu inserts, that I change ancho butter to ancho pepper butter as that is what anchos are- a spicy pepper. As for the pulled pork, you are correct, it does not say spicy in the description at all (tangy is the word we use), but for the 1500 pulled pork that we have served this year (not including the additions to nachos, poutine, or our breakfast burrito), let alone the number over the last four years- and it is the #2 sandwich we have sold in that time and has been on the menu since we opened, I am not sure I have ever heard the pulled pork as being described as spicy. I would imagine, even if you had told our server that you did not like spice at all, that he still would have recommended the pulled pork to you! It is kind of funny in that I use one of our servers as an example- and say that she thinks white bread is spicy! So yes, in that case, then the tanginess could be construed as spice. The sauce that we use is a mustard based sauce- but regular yellow mustard- and should not be spicy at all. I have made it a point, since we opened, that we are not afraid to use spice though- I dislike it when I go to restaurants and receive bland food- even when you ask for spice, they still make it 'restaurant' spicy, ie, inoffensive and bland. That is why for example, we have our wing sauces notated in least spicy to spiciest format. We do try to make sure on the menu that the spicy level is there- perhaps I need a new font?

I do wish that the server had let me know that you were dissatisfied. I am the host of the quiz and we have enough time that I am not on the microphone that I would have gladly come and talked to you. We do empower our staff to make sure people get taken care of and I am happy that you were happy with the discount, but I would have been happier if you were happy with your entire experience as discounts is not our way of doing business and it is always nice to be able to speak with someone like me right away I think, no matter how well the staff takes care of the issue.

I will speak to the Monday staff about better communication, making sure we do not get lazy with that, in letting people know about quiz and what is involved. Once again, we do tend to send a lot of people to the Church Key, for example, if timing is a critical factor of their evening. One thing I cannot do anything about on the patio are the chairs however! Brand new and expensive! I find the orange and brown chairs very comfortable, as do most of our clientele, and we do have the tables for two with the wrought iron chairs with cushions which are comfortable as well- oddly though, we find people definitely have a preference between the two, with some finding the other more comfortable!

Hopefully this did not detract from your London visit and you enjoyed our city!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Overall, great pub for beer. Staff were very friendly. Food was pubfare so it was average. Also, it turns into a bar at 9pm so not ideal for evening meal with kids.

1  Thank RH_Travellors
Reviewed June 27, 2013

One time the service was so poor, that we left without eating! Just paid for our drink and walked out - and of course no one noticed. Another time, I ordered the mussels and was sick for the next 12 hours. What a waste of time and money this place is.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We went to this bar just for a drink so I cannot comment on the food. The overall vibe of the bar was great, very cozy. They had a good variety of drinks on their menu. Definitely a good place to relax and sit back for a little while.

1  Thank travelbug0909