“Absolutely fantastic”
Review of Shmokey's BBQ - MOVED

Shmokey's BBQ
Cuisines: Southwestern, Barbecue
Description: Here at Shmokey's, we specialize in smoked brisket sandwiches, pulled pork sandwiches, smoked chicken, and anything else we feel like smoking, from ribs to wings to fish. Come in for our take on southern comfort food. We believe in big portions, big smiles and big messes. If you don't end up wearing part of your meal, you didn't eat it right. Shmokey's is a cash-only restaurant.
Reviewed October 31, 2012

By far the best BBQ I've ever had in Ontario. My date and I shared the Brisket and the Pulled Pork with hot sauce, and it was amazing. I've had BBQ all over North America, and this is the best I've had in Ontario. The service was great, a very friendly relaxed atmosphere, and the proprieters are great to chat to. I definitely will be returning soon

2  Thank Dan R

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had a hard time finding this restaurant (in an almost empty mall), but were so glad we did. The brisket and pulled pork sandwiches on ciabatta bread were divine! Good fries. Great coleslaw. I didn't try it but one of my friends raved about the pumpkin ice cream. They buy all their ingredients locally and make just about everything themselves. It's a tiny place but homey. The waiter was chatty and accommodating. Too bad we don't live in London. We'd be regulars!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We came here because it was rated # 1 on Trip Advisor. While we enjoyed the food, there are some drawbacks. First if all, it's cash only. They have an ATM, but seriously? Even debit would be a help. Another big drawback is there is no kids menu. The only thing for our six year old to eat - realistically - was fries. Extremely limited bar selection. Extremely limited menu. We had the pulled pork sandwich, the brisket sandwich, an order of fries. Tried also the butternut squash soup; it was average. We really enjoyed our sandwiches, and will try it one more time as the smoker was broken the night of our visit. Although the food is good, this place does not deserve to be # 1 on Trip Advisor.

1  Thank RingetteBunny
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Fantastic pulled pork pork sandwich. Can't wait to go back and try the rest of the menu. A gem in London! Highly recommended.

1  Thank Jason_R12
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My son told me about this place and raved about the brisket, so when it was time to bring him home for a few days at Thanksgiving my wife, my son and me stopped in for dinner.

Firstly, Shmokey's is located in a mall that has seen better days, however there seems to be some life being breathed back into it.

Next, Shmokey's is tiny, maybe 6 tables?

Also, the menu is small, but when you know what you want, that doesn't matter to me.

They claim to make most things on the menu, shmoked meat, sauces, wings, chicken, sometimes savory ice cream, etc.

I was going to have their burger special the night we were there as my son was going for the brisket, my wife for the chicken wrap, so I thought with the burger we would have a good sampling all around. However when Sam, I think it's Sam, described the brisket sandwich as "shmoked for 20 hours, then dipped in jus, served with house made BBQ sauce and coleslaw
on top of a ciabatta" I was sold. We'll go back and I might try the burger then.

My wife also ordered the cassava fries. Cassava is a root native to South America, and when prepared as the boys at Shmokey's do it, a very, very nice alternative to potato fries, not greasy, but have a very delicate flavour.

The staff, Sam(?) and chef Harley are very outgoing and love to talk with the patrons. They are worth the visit themselves, though if Harley slips his chain and comes out of the kitchen, make sure that there is at least one person between you and him, just in case.

Anyway, the food. When I have had brisket in the US South, it has not been on a sandwich, rather on a platter, therefore it has been sliced a bit thick, nothing like a slab or anything, but pencil thick maybe, as when brisket is cooked to perfection it is tender as can be, regardless of thickness. Since the brisket at Shmokey's is served on a great crusty ciabatta bun, it was sliced very thin, almost shaved, and melted in my mouth. The jus, or gravy, was luscious, the homemade BBQ sauce is outstanding!! Enough heat to sit at the back of your mouth without wanting to take centre stage of the meal. The bun choice was perfect for this sandwich as any other might have disintegrated with the BBQ sauce and the jus. To top it off, literally, their coleslaw. Perfect for that sandwich. Word of warning though, either wear a paper painters suit, a garbage bag over the shoulders or, as the guys at Shmokey's want, once you wear some of your sandwich, why not buy one of our Shmokey's T-Shirts on the way out! Clever guys.

The chicken wrap that my wife had was fantastic, "the best chicken wrap I have ever had", according to her. That's a bold statement, but one that I must share after sampling hers.

The flavours were perfectly melded together. Not complex, but very well fitted. Heat, flavour, texture, portion, it all worked very, very well.

We chatted for a bit, did I say that the guys there like to chat? Found out that they source as many products nearby as possible. Fresh peppers (habanero, jalapeno, bell, etc), cabbage, etc. Meat from local farmers and such, I like that a lot.

Just getting ready to pay the bill, note to all Shmokey's is cash only, they do have an ATM on site, and Harley comes out of the kitchen, must have slipped his chain, and plunks down a bowl of "meat dessert", Shmokey's shmoked chicken wings in another fantastic sauces. These guys go that extra mile to make you happy.

They also serve burnt ends, but only on Friday's and they do tend to go quickly so you have to get their early, cause when they're gone, they're gone.

Sorry for the long winded post but this kind of place, IMO, deserves to get as many kudo's as possible. These guys are doing good ole' BBQ in a Mall that needs some life and they are doing it extreme justice.

If you are ever in London and feel that you want BBQ, real BBQ, head over to the corner of Oxford and Wonderland, venture inside the mall and into Shmokey's. OUTSTANDING!!

1  Thank Graham M