“Fabulous food, exceptionally friendly staff”
Review of Che Resto Bar

Che Resto Bar
Ranked #51 of 1,053 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Unique, distinctive and delicious cuisine inspired by the rich cultures of Latin America.
London, Canada
“Fabulous food, exceptionally friendly staff”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Good central location with a choice of good sitting areas, lovely lounge and bar area with great friendly staff and owner who greets and chats with you.
Food choices are awesome....wonderful assortment of appetizers, which often enough are perfect as a meal on their own.
nice place to meet up and share an evening with a group of friends.....

Visited November 2012
1 Thank David H

London, Canada
“Refreshing! Delightful food, great service!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I were after a different taste experience last night and we were not disappointed. The decor and seating is inviting, comfortable and clean. Our server was patient and knowledgeable while explaining the different ingredients, sauces etc. regretfully I can't remember her name but she was excellent. We selected from the Londonliscious menu, from appetizer to dessert everything was fresh, cooked as described and attractively plated. I was unsure about how I would handle the heat of the mole sauce for the chicken so our server had it placed on the side, chicken was moist and flavourful. The hanger steak was done to perfection - medium rare and the yucca chips were light and crispy. The chocolate cheesecake was a suitable end with just a subtle kick of heat.
Excellent - keep up the good work! We will be back!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Kelly K
La Jolla, California
“Delicious chicken!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

We dropped into this pleasant place without knowing anything about it but it seemed well patronized on a Monday night. The spinach salad was very nice but the chicken was cooked and flavored to perfection! A little spicy but not too much. Wine list was adequate and cost was affordable. There don't seem to be many stars in dining in London but this dish was terrific!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Ann D
London, Ontario, Canada
“Worthwhile”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

There exists a mystique about the quaint, unassuming restaurant tucked away in the downtown area but stands out plainly due to its lush style. It rarely seems to fail and Che doesn't either.
Upon walking up to and entering Che, you'll notice the sleek, modern decor and style with the stunning art work that simultaneously invokes relaxation and beauty.

I was greeted by the owner, Martin, who was incredibly nice. Unfortunately, when I mentioned the name my reservation was under, it didn't exist. Luckily he had a good memory and recalled that it was booked through an e-mail, so I was promptly seated. The restaurant is small but there is ample space between you and other diners without having your personal space infringed upon.

Once my friend and I were ready, we were greeted by a lovely waitress. She was impeccable all night with some great stories as well as thorough knowledge of the menu. I always look for a server that is neither too attentive but also not unnecessarily absent and she fulfilled this role quite well while also contributing to make a splendid dinner.

For the appetizers, we ordered the yuca poutine and the ceviche tacos. The former was fantastic, with a crispy exterior and strikes a perfect balance with the chili (Aji Amarillo) and olive puree. Yuca can be bitter but the preparation of it lent a sweeter note that was quite pleasant, making it akin to a sweeter russet potato. The ceviche tacos with pickerel and mango salsa were fantastic. The corn tortilla made me nostalgic, reminding me of the tacos provided by small taquerias in Mexico. The pickerel was more of a textural component, providing some resistance that protein normally does while the dish was a little sweeter. The dish is accompanied with a rocoto sauce of sorts that was quite welcome. While many people find it quite hot, as our server informed us, I found it added enough stringency to strike the balance I was looking for between sweet and spicy.

As for the entrees, I ordered the paella while my friend ordered the roasted chicken. The paella was quite good, especially if you enjoy seafood. The menu advertises that there is chicken but I only had one small piece. That aside, the flavours were good and I enjoyed it quite a bit. My friend's roasted chicken was quite good as well. The mole isn't as sweet as the ones I had in Mexico but it was spicier, both in terms of heat and spices. The appetizers, I feel, were a bigger success than the entrees.

Finally, for the desserts, we ordered the chili cheesecake and the rice pudding. As a self-professed cheesecake connoisseur, I was quite pleased with the texture and flavour. The cheesecake provided an initial sweetness and bitterness of chocolate with a delayed heat from the chili. It was incredibly good and I'm glad there wasn't a heavy hand with the chili, as some chefs simply cannot strike the proper balance between heat and sweet. The rice pudding was really good as well. Nice and creamy and a good end to the dinner.

Che ultimately represents a great dining experience. It functions quite well as a romantic place for a date night or as a more upscale but still partially casual dining spot for friends to have a drink and some great food.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank RA261
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Wasn't sure what to expect, but always wanted to try Che and Londonliscious menu looked good. Nice art and decor reminds me of some nice Latin restaurants in Miami. Had the poutine and mussels for apps, the roasted chicken and hangar steak for entrees, and only the rice pudding was left for dessert. All excellent. The smoky mole sauce looked scary but was good. And disappointed that there was no cheesecake left. Waiter was friendly and attentive. The mains were a little slow getting to us, but it was fine and worth the wait. Great value for Londonliscious, but will definitely be back to try the empanadas, and of course the cheesecake. Well done!

• Visited July 2013