“Delicious chicken!”

Che Resto Bar
Ranked #51 of 1,105 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Unique, distinctive and delicious cuisine inspired by the rich cultures of Latin America.
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We dropped into this pleasant place without knowing anything about it but it seemed well patronized on a Monday night. The spinach salad was very nice but the chicken was cooked and flavored to perfection! A little spicy but not too much. Wine list was adequate and cost was affordable. There don't seem to be many stars in dining in London but this dish was terrific!

1  Thank Ann D

Reviewed July 23, 2013

There exists a mystique about the quaint, unassuming restaurant tucked away in the downtown area but stands out plainly due to its lush style. It rarely seems to fail and Che doesn't either.
Upon walking up to and entering Che, you'll notice the sleek, modern decor and style with the stunning art work that simultaneously invokes relaxation and beauty.

I was greeted by the owner, Martin, who was incredibly nice. Unfortunately, when I mentioned the name my reservation was under, it didn't exist. Luckily he had a good memory and recalled that it was booked through an e-mail, so I was promptly seated. The restaurant is small but there is ample space between you and other diners without having your personal space infringed upon.

Once my friend and I were ready, we were greeted by a lovely waitress. She was impeccable all night with some great stories as well as thorough knowledge of the menu. I always look for a server that is neither too attentive but also not unnecessarily absent and she fulfilled this role quite well while also contributing to make a splendid dinner.

For the appetizers, we ordered the yuca poutine and the ceviche tacos. The former was fantastic, with a crispy exterior and strikes a perfect balance with the chili (Aji Amarillo) and olive puree. Yuca can be bitter but the preparation of it lent a sweeter note that was quite pleasant, making it akin to a sweeter russet potato. The ceviche tacos with pickerel and mango salsa were fantastic. The corn tortilla made me nostalgic, reminding me of the tacos provided by small taquerias in Mexico. The pickerel was more of a textural component, providing some resistance that protein normally does while the dish was a little sweeter. The dish is accompanied with a rocoto sauce of sorts that was quite welcome. While many people find it quite hot, as our server informed us, I found it added enough stringency to strike the balance I was looking for between sweet and spicy.

As for the entrees, I ordered the paella while my friend ordered the roasted chicken. The paella was quite good, especially if you enjoy seafood. The menu advertises that there is chicken but I only had one small piece. That aside, the flavours were good and I enjoyed it quite a bit. My friend's roasted chicken was quite good as well. The mole isn't as sweet as the ones I had in Mexico but it was spicier, both in terms of heat and spices. The appetizers, I feel, were a bigger success than the entrees.

Finally, for the desserts, we ordered the chili cheesecake and the rice pudding. As a self-professed cheesecake connoisseur, I was quite pleased with the texture and flavour. The cheesecake provided an initial sweetness and bitterness of chocolate with a delayed heat from the chili. It was incredibly good and I'm glad there wasn't a heavy hand with the chili, as some chefs simply cannot strike the proper balance between heat and sweet. The rice pudding was really good as well. Nice and creamy and a good end to the dinner.

Che ultimately represents a great dining experience. It functions quite well as a romantic place for a date night or as a more upscale but still partially casual dining spot for friends to have a drink and some great food.

2  Thank RA261
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Wasn't sure what to expect, but always wanted to try Che and Londonliscious menu looked good. Nice art and decor reminds me of some nice Latin restaurants in Miami. Had the poutine and mussels for apps, the roasted chicken and hangar steak for entrees, and only the rice pudding was left for dessert. All excellent. The smoky mole sauce looked scary but was good. And disappointed that there was no cheesecake left. Waiter was friendly and attentive. The mains were a little slow getting to us, but it was fine and worth the wait. Great value for Londonliscious, but will definitely be back to try the empanadas, and of course the cheesecake. Well done!

1  Thank raylee11
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Beware the generous portions! I had an appetizer of mussels which was excellent and very generous. This was followed by their pork chops which were delicious but really big! I was very happy with my meal. It was reasonably priced given the quality. Service was good and friendly but when it got busier, it became more difficult for our waitress to take care of everyone. It took a long time to have the bill as a result. But overall very positive experience.

1  Thank Kitinefoodie
Marvin R, Manager at Che Resto Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your positive comments, we’re delighted you enjoyed your meal and appreciate you taking the time to offer your feedback to the Trip Advisor community.
We have had a few unexpectedly busy nights recently wherein we have found ourselves understaffed and a little stretched and we are aware that service has suffered a touch as a result. We will be working on staff scheduling to rectify this.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I was really looking forward to our Dinner out at Che. All was going pretty well... My husband, two of our friends and my self - having a good time. We all order. 3 of us the Chimichurri Steak (all medium), my husband the Chicken Supreme. Our Steaks come out, everything looks wonderful. I start to eat my steak and realize it's come out Med Well nearly Well done... sometimes these things happen. No Biggie but at $28 for the steak I figure, Yeah I do want it cooked the way I ordered. Our friends steaks look pretty good, one is actually med rare and the other a perfect medium (better to be under cooked than over). So I send mine back. The response from the condescending waitress "Well that's how we do medium here" - Nice Attitude. So We point out the the other two steaks are cooked - very differently than the leathery piece of meat on my plate. With attitude she takes it back - I may not be a chef, but honestly 3 mins per side is all it takes to cook up a new steak - My dinner didn't come back until the rest of my party was complete. Oh and to top off the condescension - my lovely waitress decides it a good idea to bring back my original steak - sliced down the centre to show "there was pink in the very middle".
I held my ground to not make a scene with our friends who we never get to have dinner with - but needless to say my blood was boiling - So much so I could not enjoy what would have normally been a lovely meal... I will not return to a restaurant that can not take responsibility to cook food properly and then discipline you for asking to get what you are paying for. Honest to goodness... worst restaurant experience in London. Really disappointed.

1  Thank maziars27

Hi Maziars,

We're sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your recent visit. We wish to sincerely apologise if you felt the situation with your steak was handled in a condescending manner; it is never our intention to appear anything less than hospitable, in fact we pride ourselves on the friendly and welcoming environment we have attempted to create here at Che. It is always the customer’s right to question a dish which does not meet their expectations and it is our responsibility to ensure the matter is resolved to the customer’s satisfaction.

We would like to invite you to return as our guest and hope to welcome you at your earliest convenience. We can be reached at the advertised number and your call should be directed to Marvin or Sarah.

Thanks and we look forward to speaking to you,
Sarah.