“Unique spot, worth a try”
Review of The Springs

The Springs
Ranked #40 of 1,102 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A great mix of cuisine from all over the world. Fantastic menu!
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We tried The Springs in April, and left impressed. Aside from a unique setting, in a bit of an unusual location, we were met with attentive service throughout the evening. Our selection from the wine list nicely complemented all our meals (beef, duck, penne), preceded by the french onion soup, arancini and salads. The beef was raved about by those who had it, likewise the penne was considered very good. All in all, a return trip would be in our future.

1  Thank CanadianGypsies

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We made a last minute reservation, so we were at a hightop table near the bar. This was a bit disappointing as we were in a corner and all my wife could see was a wall ( and me,,,). The food more than made up for it though. I had crab cakes for an appetizer and my wife had the chorizo, leek tart. Both were fairly spicy, the crab was ok, the chorizo tart was a better choice. For our main I had the venison loin $30 that was expresso and black pepper encrusted with a chocolate au ju on the side. It came with an arrugula salad and frittes. The loin was really nice, i expected a spicier and grittier taste from the pepper, but it was very suttle and nice. The au ju was sweeter tani expected and i used more of it than i expected. My wife had a lamb loin, (crepinette) $40. It was also extremely tasty with a variety of asparagus and other vegetables on the plate. She very much enjoyed it. For desert it was creme brulee (nothing special) and lemon sorbet for my wife. She noted that the crumbled butter coockieit was sitting on had a basil aftertaste that was nice. Overall a nice experience. If you go, order the vennison, delicious and didnt taste like any venison ive ever had before.

1  Thank Stv50
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Bistros tend to somewhat noisy and this space used to be a church. When we were there on a Saturday evening a pianist/singer was playing nicely. The ambient noise level was not objectionable and we talked easily. Depends on what you expect or are used to I guess. The menu is quite varied with some interesting dishes. Seeing sablefish in London, Ont was a real treat. A friend had it on my recommendation as a delicious west coast fish. It was superb. The rest of the party had scallops, chicken and venison respectively. All were delicious and beautifully presented. Certainly we did not experience slow service mixed up orders etc. that have been mentioned by others. The Springs is a real find and a fine dining experience in a casual atmosphere.

1  Thank RMHBJH
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Went for supper with a friend and I ordered the salmon with couscous as I remembered having that as a side dish before and liking it. When it arrived I questioned the side dish with the waiter as I didn't think they had given me couscous. He said it was, so I deferred to him the expert. I just checked on the internet and I was served quinoa. I left all the side dish as I didn't like the texture and the waiter didn't even question me why. Checked their menu on the internet and the salmon should have come with the couscous. Overpriced for what we had. Coffee was good.

1  Thank Asaela
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Went with 4 couples with mixed reviews. Those who ordered the specials (baked cheese, halibut) were very pleased. I had the crab cakes to start (pretty good but not great) and the salmon on Isreali couscous. The salmon was cooked fine but had no real flavour. The couscous was very sweet and a bit odd. I had asked to substitue the risotto of the day but they were out so had couscous instead. We all shared dessert. The creme brûlée was ok. The flour less chocolate cake was good. The server was great and worked hard. There is a really good piano player there but the restaurant was so loud it was hard to hear him.

1  Thank mominOntario