“Saskatoon - Made it first time”
Review of Sundance Balloons

Sundance Balloons
Ranked #1 of 5 Tours in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Sundance Balloons is Canada's largest hot air balloon company. We fly approx 12,000 passengers each year from our 10 locations in Canada.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I had bought a groupon for my family of four, then read all the reviews and horror stories. Well, I think we hit it lucky. First booking and our flight went off without a hitch. The pilot Daniel (from Spain) and the ground crew were very professional. Daniel said he's been around balloons his whole life - his father is a pilot as well. We felt very safe. Weather was perfect. The ride was longer than normal to find a safe place to land (good for us).

3  Thank pcgold
SundanceBalloons, Public Relations Manager at Sundance Balloons, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to share your Sundance experience! Your flight was one of 12,000 that we successfully (and safely) launch per year. All the best.

All reviews
in 36 reviews
"waterloo"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed July 14, 2013

After booking a flight for Calgary, Ab in 2011, I was super excited to take the flight...fast forward to 2 years later and 4 cancellations, we finally got to fly in July of 2013. We continually got cancelled and put on hold, only to be cancelled again. Being put on hold was the most frustrating thing, as we live 2 hours away from Calgary and would have to drive part way, just in case they did fly. We started to assume it was all a fraud. The month before our next scheduled flight we started calling the flight line every evening, and they only flew twice in one month, one which happened to be out scheduled day! Once we got to fly, it was a great experience! The pilot was very friendly and the flight was really fun. We flew over the country and it was really the 'perfect' day! This is a fun experience, but be prepared that you will have to wait for a little while. There was one couple in our group who booked and got in right away! If you want to have a hot air balloon ride I would look into other ways, maybe other companies are better.

SundanceBalloons, Public Relations Manager at Sundance Balloons, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thanks for your review and we are happy you enjoyed your lighter than air flight. Since balloons 1st took flight in 1783 - they have been dependent on the weather and wind that Mother Nature provides. This year, our season started especially bad in Alberta, but we have finally seen the flying conditions improve and we our pilots are flying regularly! As you experienced, a hot air balloon flight is magical and while it took you four attempts, other passengers took flight on their first attempt...we wish we could control the weather. Thanks we and look forward to flying with you again sometime.

Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I purchased my husband a gift certificate for a balloon ride. We have seen the commercials on tv and heard the radio advertisements for years. This is something my husband had always wanted to do. I wish I would have seen the reviews here before giving our money to this company. The bad reviews about Sundance Balloons are true. My husband had his flight cancelled 6 times and waited a year before he actually had his flight. There were times it was a beautiful sunny day and it appeared they cancelled it for no reason. Most people wait 1-3 years for their flight! That is unacceptable. Its best to buy a "any time" voucher so that you can at least book whenever there is availability regardless of what day of the week it is. This is what my husband had. With all the advertising that Sundace does, they must get huge amounts of money. However, they do such a small number of flights each season. You cannot get a refund so they have your money. They have no motivation to do the flights because they have already been paid. I realize safety is the number one priority and it should be. However if a flight is cancelled, passengers should be given a time latter in the day to return or another flight should be added to the next day to accommodate the people. I Even said to the customer service representative that I have been calling the flight line daily and all the flights are always cancelled. I asked her if they ever fly and she didn't answer. I think they are use to angry people calling daily to complain. When buying gift certificates people should be told that the average wait is 1-3 years. But of course they take your money, make it unrefundable and don't have any intention of providing the service that you paid for. No wonder people are so angry about the customer service of Sundance Balloons. I feel bad for people who book this for a birthday or anniversary because it's almost for sure that they will not have their flight on that day! My husband was finally able to have his flight yesterday morning. The Irish piolit was very nice, professional and safety was his number one priority. My husband enjoyed chatting with him during the flight. He's a very good guy that does his job well! It was an early morning flight and they were in the sky for sunrise. My husband said it was so beautiful! It was so quiet up there! He seen Kitchener, Waterloo and Breslau in a totally different way! He took some really great pictures with his phone and posted them on Facebook. Everyone thought it was amazing! It was only 45min and he wishes it was longer, considering the cost and how long he waited for this flight. The flight and landing were smooth. It was an amazing experience and he would love to do it again!

6  Thank VargaTravels

Thanks for your review of your flight with us. We are happy that your flight was great and memorable. Having been in the hot air balloon business for almost 30-years, we have balloons in 11-cities in Canada. We have pilots scheduled and ready to fly every day...but all flights are dependent on safe flying conditions and we don't control them, Mother Nature does. Irish and crew have been with us for many years and his passengers always enjoy their experience - we just wish he could bring 'more luck of the Irish' when it comes to weather and flying conditions. With that said, we will always do whatever possible to get all of our passengers safely in the air. Though as a consumer you have a choice of companies you do business with, Sundance is largest hot air balloon company in North America, with more pilots, the newest fleet of balloons and our offices are open 7-days a week to assist our passengers - but that still doesn't provide guaranteed flying condition, especially this summer.Thanks again and we look forward to flying with you soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband bought me a gift certificate for our 5th anniversary. That was adventure years ago. After 20 attempts, we have come to the conclusion that this is a scam and they seldom actually fly. They refused to give us a refund and have pocketed more than 500 dollars of our hard earned cash. I plan to report them to the better business bureau. Whatever you do, do not give them your money!!!

17  Thank Kkduggan
See more reviews
Reviewed June 26, 2013

As said in other posts, this is a waste of as they seldom fly. We just had our 20th flight in four years of trying cancelled, 18 times because of weather , 1 for pilot who called in sick and this last time for lack of compedence of staff. It was prefect weqtger conditions but after 1.75 hrs of the pilot trying to inflate the pilot, they crossed the lines and could not take off but just let the air back out and said not enough time. The pilot knew what he was doing but his ground crew were totally useless and he couldn't do it all by himself, everyone could see his frustration but they were really bad, he was shouting from one side to pull the rope and the guy holding it was lending against fence talking to passerbys, with allowed all the air to pass thru top.
Sounded like a great gift for my wife but no a joke of our friends and great disappointment
If you really want to go up in balloon, go south to Nevada or other but not with this company in Ontario...especially Barrie company

10  Thank dave l