“Everything Works”

Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in London
St Joseph Island Ontario
“Everything Works”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Yes this Ramada is old and in need of renovation but everything that we needed, worked. The heater in the room was not overly loud and worked great. The only issue with the bathroom was that there was no way to plug the bathtub for a bath - no problems with anything else. The rugs were showing wear with many stains. The only thing that really bothered me was the livingroom chair. It was really "dirty" and could use a good cleaning. We did not use it. My son who works for pest control, did the "bed bug check" and the mattress was clean and in very good shape. My sister and I both had a very good sleep there with 4 large plush pillows each. The swimming pool was large - 3M on the deep end. The water was at a good temperature to be comfortable. There was no shower room and there was no hot tub. This pool room would also benefit from some paint and sprucing up. There was minimal exercise equipment. There is no continental breakfast but there is a restaurant on site. We did not go to the restaurant so I have no comment on that. All in all - the price for the room reflect the need for renovations. The staff was great. Always friendly and helpful. We stayed for 4 nights and would go back again. My conclusion is, I would be willing to pay more money for a remodeled Ramada in London Ontario.

Room Tip: We were in room 171 - away from the check in desk but a larger corner room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Darryl M, Front Office Manager at Ramada London, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Metoo0956,

Thank you for posting this review of Ramada London. I appreciate that you went into detail about the aspects of your stay that you found disappointing in addition to all of the positives. Ramada London has an ownership group and management team that is dedicated to this renovation project as we will not be fully satisfied until every amenity in the hotel has been updated. During this period, we are continuing to offer great rates and service to all of our valued guests. This hotel offers clean and spacious rooms with many updated amenities. All of our guestrooms include a fridge and microwave along with free parking and free wireless internet. As we continue to make updates, we will never compromise on our promise to deliver outstanding service and a fair price.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

The place may be a bit (a lot) run down, but the service was exemplary, beds and shower worked great - pool was well maintained...overall - for the price a great bargain!

I would definietly come again with great employees like this.

Room Tip: If you want luxury - pay for it somewhere else If you want great service (Front Desk) come here
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bobbie m
Bobbie M,

Your kind words have served as a valuable reminder that there is nothing more important than the customer experience. While cleanliness and comfort are always expected in a reputable hotel, it is outstanding service that continues to set us apart from our competitors. I am extremely proud of this great staff who are truly focused on making every guest feel welcomed from the moment they walk through the door to the final goodbye. Please come back to visit us next time you are in the London area. Thanks again!
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

It is nothing too glamorous, neither is it in a glamorous location (next door to the highway..) however this won't really affect your night's sleep as this handy motel offers a quiet place to rest and a good standard restaurant to cater for any dinner needs!! ..from personal experience, I arrived here in the early hours after a flight from the carribean.. the staff booked me a room promptly with minimal fuss, it was a VERY comfortable room.. BIG chunky pillows and duvet, thick curtains and the noise of the traffic can barely be heard, its minimal... Thnaks to the staff for a friendly service, and helping me with the drinks machine! ....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Lazzie_12,

Thanks for the great feedback from your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the food and service, along with our new beds, pillows and linens. I have posted some updated photos of the thick and comfy pillows and duvets in addition to the new flatscreen TV's that we are now offering in most of our guestrooms. Our friendly staff is eager to welcome you back....Cheers!
Hamilton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed at Ramada for a hockey tournament, rooms where big, beds where comfortable but unfortunately that is it. Just a very very old hotel, they have tried to keep up but just to much.
If u are looking for a quick sleep and keep driving, this place is perfect, would not recommend staying much longer. We stayed on non smoking floor on second and it smelt worse of cigarettes than the first floor? All staff exceptionally nice, breakfast was free and was good, no hot tub, a big old indoor pool. Again you are getting what u pay for, it does seem clean just very old.

Room Tip: We where in back of hotel, was a 10 minute walk to get coffee up front and go to pool, I would proba...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dan758,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us. While it is true that the Ramada London is older than many of our competitors, we have earned a reputation of great customer service and customer satisfaction over our 40-year history. Throughout the years, Ramada London has hosted hundreds of weddings and conferences that have highlighted our passion for offering a full-service, 3-star hotel experience at a great value to our guests. We continually look for opportunities to reach out to the local community by offering sponsorship to various charity events and always push ourselves to meet and exceed the ever-changing demands of the modern traveler. We take pride in our history and look forward to another 40 years of being a beacon of great hospitality in South London.

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

The second floor is horrendous. The entire hallway reeked of cigarettes. My room smelled like a combination of armpit and onions. Despite the fact that an on-call staff member was kind enough to lend me a bottle of air freshener for the duration of my stay, I bought scented candles, which made it somewhat worse. The walls were paper thin - I could hear ever absurd word out of the neanderthal on the other side of my wall - even though he was simply 'talking'. The absolute worst part of my stay - was the DOG POO! Someone brought a dog, who did its enormous business in the middle of a busy staircase and didn't bother to clean it up! These inescapable steps are a main route to the parking lot at the back (and dead center) of the building. Dozens of kids from a hockey tournament, were being kids, and running up and down the stairs, hallways, and into their teammate’s rooms so this offensive crap was tracked and smeared all over the carpets - and it stunk beyond imagination. It took FIVE CALLS to have this rectified. This is my greatest complaint. For the price of the hotel, I accepted the smell of my room, the thin walls (and subsequent eyeball rolling conversation of my neighbour), and was incredibly grateful to the gentleman who lent me air freshener. It is completely UNACCEPTABLE that the entire front desk staff avoided contending with an absolutely unhygienic repeated complaint.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
KikiTDot,

I am horrified at the thought of a pet leaving a "surprise" in one of the guest entrances that went unresolved for even 2 hours, let alone 2 days. Rest assured that this matter has since been discussed among the entire hotel staff to ensure that our standards are in check with the expectations of our valued guests. I sincerely apologize for the lack of response regarding this issue as I can certainly understand why this would negatively impact on both your stay and perception of this hotel. I will not attempt to offer any excuses as there is never any excuse for a deficiency in cleanliness. I can only say that we will learn from this mistake and be better prepared for the next unexpected "surprise".
Windsor
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Came up on a Thursday to avoid bad weather for a hockey Tournament. Stayed one night only as our team was booked at another hotel. Was disappointed that the pool was closed and when I asked on Friday morning the staff did not know why and said he wouldn't know until his manager arrives as he had been off the last three days and had no details yet. As far as the rooms go the hotel is showing its age on the walls, ceiling, hallways, doors and carpet. Bed was okay had an okay TV. Not a horrible place but I would say its more a 2 star hotel then a 3. Also when leaving the sidewalks on the C entrance had not been cleared or touched. Considering the amount of hotels close by this would not be near the top of my list but in a pinch for a short stay its okay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Seanont,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We certainly had a difficult time with the swimming pool in February, but after making several upgrades we are pleased to announce that the pool is now up and running better than ever. Ramada London offers one of the largest pools of all of the hotels in London with plenty of comfortable seating for hockey parents to relax as they watch their children. I have reviewed our policies as it pertains to snow removal to ensure that we are getting all of our entrances and walkways cleared in a timely manner. You are surely right about a lot of other hotels to choose from in South London, but I am confident that Ramada London offers the most team-friendly experience to the great teams that we host throughout each year.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I along with our eight month old twin girls recently spent three nights at the Ramada in London for a visit with family and friends. After all was said and done, we left with a relatively unremarkable experience to report, scoring wildly varying marks across the board for us. Located right off the 401, its situated in an excellent location for those in need of a place right off the highway. Its also right off of Wellington as well, one of London's major arteries that will take you straight downtown if necessary. That said, here's the takeaway from our Ramada experience:

First impression/Arrival - Open, airy lobby, albeit a little dated. My understanding is that the whole hotel will be undergoing a major face lift in the future, so curious to see how that will improve its appearance and quality. The provided luggage carts we found very handy travelling with twin girls. No troubles checking in, though we did find it a little odd there is no elevator leading up to the second floor (we were on the first floor, but found this strange nonetheless). Fair first impression, nothing overly negative.

Front desk staff - The ladies who greeted me at the desk were both friendly and courteous. As aforementioned, checking in was easy and were settled in our room within minutes after arriving. We were initially placed in a second floor room, but given the amount of luggage plus twins in tow, the staff were more than happy to change our room to the first floor. Positive experience with the front desk staff, no issues here at all.

Location - Super convenient. Being situated very close to one of London's major streets (Wellington), the hotel is within very close proximity to shopping (White Oaks Mall), restaurants, and about a 10-minute drive north to downtown London. It was this close proximity to both shops and restaurants that places it in a highly advantageous area while staying in London. In addition, you can be on/off the 401 in less than a minute for those heading in/back out. Perfect score on location.

Rooms - Probably the biggest drawback during our 3-night stay there. The rooms were surprisingly dated and poorer quality than we'd expect from the Ramada name. Again, we've been told the impending major renovations will seek to upgrade all the current rooms, but couldn't help to still be a little disappointed. Dated furniture, stained shower tub, average mattress quality, and a incredibly old heating unit (very poor climate control) all contributed to the disappointing impression of the room. We also had a couple faulty electrical outlets that didn't appear to work as well. Management rectified the problem by running and extension from one of the workable outlets so we could use the microwave and coffee maker. Overall, we left with a disappointing experience, but hoping the future renovations rectify all these issues.

Value - We booked through the Ramada website directly, and obtained what we thought was a very good rate (with a CAA discount) given the value we expected to get back in return. That said, the rate we obtained eventually equaled or fell short of our expectations. My understanding is the Ramada is offering big discounts off their rooms until the renovations are complete, but the rates are more akin to a 2-star experience. Average rate, nothing special in this case, despite the intention of coming across as a bargain for a 3-plus star.

Breakfast - Oddly enough, one of the very few hotels we've been to that did not offer a free breakfast. We found this incredibly strange given that in today's competitive hotel market, complimentary breakfast is almost a standard provision these days. You'll have to fend for yourselves here I'm afraid.

The Bottom Line - After all was said an done, My wife and I left with an experience filled with mixed emotions. Despite the location and friendly staff, it was very hard to overlook the poor room quality. Once again, management insists that the renovations will give this hotel a rebirth of sorts, but don't think we'll be returning until we see the final results for ourselves. A generous 3 rating points.

Room Tip: If you have alot of luggage in tow, ask for a first floor room if available since there is no elevat...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank globalwanderer2
globalwanderer2,

Thank you for this review of your stay. This is truly the most thoughtfully in-depth assessment that I have read about a guest stay at Ramada London. I agree with your comments, both positive and negative, and I look forward to welcoming you back as we continue to update our guestrooms. We honestly believe that our service is second-to-none in London and we are eager to offer a quality of guestroom that fits with our service. In the meantime, we will continue to offer a fantastic rate for a full-service hotel that does not compromise on customer service and offers every amenity that a modern day traveler is looking for. Kudos to you for offering future visitors a fair review about a hotel that works hard to earn your business!