“Louder than a 747”

Reviewed September 4, 2010

Our room was beside an air conditioning machine louder than a 747

No one slept all night

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
MarriottManager519, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn London Downtown, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for bringing this information to our attention. We have notified the local property management company for the building located next to us to advise them of this issue.

I hope you do provide us with a future opportunity to meet or exceed all expectations. Marriott has many great hotels and I hope that your recent experience does not impact your preference as a Marriott guest in alternate cities.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Arabic first
Uxbridge, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2010

A colleague and I arrived at the Residence Inn London Downtown the evening before a 4 day course. It was over booked due to an insurance claim. Because we had confirmations, Residence Inn sent us to the Holiday Inn.

We were irritated by arriving at one hotel, being sent off to another to unpack, pack and return the next day to the Residence Inn to discover it was still over booked, and that this happens regularly at hotels. The Residence Inn booked us at the Delta London Armouries for two nights because we refused to return to the Holiday Inn. We were told to return to the Residence Inn for our last night to see if rooms had become available! My colleague contacted the manager at the Residence Inn who not only agreed we could stay this evening at the Delta, but that we would not be charged for any night.

The following month our credit cards were charged for our last night at the Delta. When the Residence Inn hotel manager was contacted, she said that she hadn’t agreed to pay for this charge!

My colleague and I had already submitted our expense claims. This complicated matters tremendously. The Residence Inn sent us complimentary night stays at their hotel, which will never be used. However, we will return to the Delta London Armouries!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank LifeisFunny
MarriottManager519, General Manager at Residence Inn London Downtown, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
Dear Guest: It is unfornunate that we were not able to honour your reservation on arrival due to unforseen circumstances. As a small token of appreciation and your understanding we do pay for all cost related to your stay at a neighbouring hotel. (Room, Tax, Breakfast, Parking and one Long Distance telephone call home to advise family memebers of any change) All charges related to the 2 nights we were not able to accommodate were billed directly back to the hotel and no cost was applicable to you.
We would welcome the opportunity for you to visit with us again and provide us with an opportunity to make it right.
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed March 13, 2010

I stayed here in a king suite for 4 days during the Christmas holidays rather than be among the ruckus of the family. The newly renovated, spacious rooms really give a feel of being in a studio apartment much more than a hotel. Having stayed here in the past and put up other relatives here in a 2 bedroom unit, I can say that the renovation was due and well done. The bed is extremely comfortable and everything is home like. There's plenty of room to work on the computer, sit and watch TV in the sitting area, or turn the flat screen around to watch in bed.

All that said, this location can be a bit pricey (although given the size of the rooms that's not surprising) especially when you add the daily parking fee in. And, be sure to use the garage rather than the street because the city does not allow overnight parking on the streets in this area.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
RIMarriott, Director of Sales at Residence Inn London Downtown, responded to this review, March 22, 2010
Thank you so much for your comments and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay here during the holidays. We do strive to wow each guest especially with our new look and thank you for referring your relatives to us in the past.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I stayed here for only one night. For some reason they put me in a 2-bedroom suite (I booked a King room online), which was really way too big for just myself - it actually was kind of creepy to be alone in such an enormous hotel room. But it would be fantastic for a family traveling or a long-term stay. The suite also had a full kitchen and three (!) flat-screen tvs and 2 desks/workstations. The desk staff were friendly, but a couple of people staying there seemed kind of sketchy and were always hanging around the lobby. I was disappointed there didn't seem to be anything to really walk to in the area, for the hotel being called "London Downtown".

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
niagara
Reviewed January 21, 2010

This would be a great hotel choice for anyone staying on a long term basis. The rooms are bigger than any apartment I have every lived in and they are newly renovated and very contemporary. It's a great place to be in when you want to stretch out and relax, and not feel closed in by your room.
The only minor issue I have is that every time I go there I find the Front Desk associates to be less pleasant than they should be. I am used to Marriotts where all the staff are constantly similing and saying hello, but they seem to be just "doing their job" and not much else. It also always seems as though there is just one person working at all times, and this can make asking questions or checking in and out very time consuming if there is a line up. One would assume that a hotel of this size would have more staff?
This is a minor issue though, and otherwise this hotel is comfortable and enjoyable!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank 123me
ontario
Reviewed December 22, 2009

I personally was very satisfied with the hotel room we stayed in. It was very clean and quiet on our floor. The hotel has been undergoing renovations so our room was modern and newish.
BEST FEATURES:
Breakfast, good beds, good internet/TV/radio, Kitchen
SUGGEST YOU CHECKOUT FIRST:
handicap room size/contents, your size of room's size/type of kitchen

Here are some notes I'd make for other guests.
1. If you are handicapped, call this hotel first. The room I saw would not make me happy (and they only have one handicap room and it is on the 2nd floor). The shower is roll-in but small and for some inexplicable reason there is a shower head, not a hand-held unit. There is NO built-in chair, only a stool. The bathroom is a fairly good size though. Handicap bars appear smallish to me -not the usual large/long bars. The entry door closes on a tight spring so if you are alone this may be difficult. There is one king bed. The 'kitchen' is very, very tiny and placed just beside the side of the bed. It is not separate. Has a frig, cupboards, microwave, coffee maker, and possibly other things?? -check with hotel. Handicap parking above ground is good. There is underground too.

2. Parking is $10 a day (above and below ground available)
3. Bedding is in the upper end (what might normally be in a home) and clean.
4. Pets are $75 per stay.
5. This hotel offers a fantastic breakfast served buffet style. During my stay it included: scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, pancakes, french toast, potatoes, do-it-yourself waffles, muffins, danishes, home-made loafs, bread, fresh fruit (different days -different fruit: apples, bananas, oranges, raspberries, blueberries, watermelon), plain yogurt with sides of fresh cut up fruit (not canned) including melons, pinapple, oranges, grapes, etc., frozen strawberries in own juice, cereals, hot oatmeal porridge in a slow cooker, lots of fixings eg: brown sugar, granola, PLUS delicious coffee (mmmmm) and tea, milks, cream, whipped cream. During my visit food was cooked EXTREMELY well -not greasy, and was very consistent day-to-day.
6. This hotel also offered supper Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday only (called their social hour) which was nice too if you didn't want to make supper in your kitchen. I think I saw salads and something hot too, plus deserts, and coffee etc. again. Quite nice if you like this.
7. If you are still reading this....I recommend you call and confirm exactly what 'type' of kitchen is in your room if the kitchen is important to you. From what I could determine what is in your kitchen is dependent on your room size. Our kitchen was an excellent size, inlcuded a diswasher & soap, dishes, a stove top, and there was a 'dining room' table with four chairs.
8. Our room had lots of storage and mirrors which was really nice.
9. Decor was nice to very nice.
10. There were two LCD flat screen TVs and a BOSS radio in the bedroom.
11. Free local calls and free in-suite high speed internet (connect to i-hotel with password)

Weird things....
This hotel is downtown and guess what....there is a TRAIN !!! in downtown London.....AND it has a HORN ....AND they USE IT !!!!! ...who knew !!!!

All-in-all we thought this was a wonderful hotel. The facilities people were great. The cooks were terrific and very clean. Housekeeping was wonderful. I will definitely stay here again, and I would recommend this hotel to a very good friend.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2009

I've stayed at the Residence Inn London on business for years (at least 40-50 nights per year) and this place is a great home away from home for longer term travellers. The rooms are huge with full kitchens. These condo/apartment sized rooms are great when you're a long term stay business traveller - imagine coming back from work to be cooped up in a one room hotel room - no matter how posh, it's still better to have the space that you get at this Marriott Residence Inn. Even their smallest rooms are large when compared to regular Hilton rooms just down the street. Rooms are always above average clean, staff is SUPER friendly and helpful, and prices are reasonable. They do charge for parking, which seems silly but many of the other downtown hotels in the area also do this. The room decor and furniture is a bit dated style-wise (but not rundown), but the huge space and large windows overshadows this negative. Free access to YMCA fitness centre and pool next door is a plus.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business