“Good location”

Ranked #20 of 41 Hotels in London
Waterloo, Canada
“Good location”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Was visiting London for a friends wedding, was trying to find a good hotel around and I am happy we chose this hotel, where its close to everything. Great advantage staying downtown. The hotel staff was very friendly and the lobby was very clean.

Room Tip: I am Platinum Elite member so I book a regular room and was given an upgrade to a suite which was ve...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
SaraDonkervoort, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites London Downtown, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
BRAI79,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and i am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
I would also like to thank you for being a loyal Priority Club Platinum member as I know you must travel a lot and there are many choices for accommodations now a days.
It is also nice to hear such positive things about the hotel and our staff.
Next time you are in London i hope we have the pleasure of being your choice accommodations again and maybe you will get to try out that kitchen. :)

Sara Donkervoort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Noida, India
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed in Executive Suite for around 8 days. Good place considering:
1. Suite was spacious and clean
2. Hotel is clean
3. They provide YMCA passes, which is definitely a big plus
4. Staff is courteous
5. Place is in downtown, so you can conveniently walk around

Things which I did not quite like:
1. Breakfast has very little variety - No salads, variety in Tea/Coffee is also limited

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
KumarA074,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and truly hope that you will stay with us again if you are ever back in London, ON.
I am sorry you did not find the variety at breakfast enough but due to corporate regulations there are only certain things that we are allowed to offer.
Thank you again for the fantastic review.
Have a good day

Farmington Hills, Michigan
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Excellent place to stay. Clean, quiet, good location and free breakfast was better than most.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room with no street noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites London Downtown, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
frtundra,
Thank for for the wonderful review and I am glad that you had a good stay at our hotel. I hope that you also enjoyed your trip to London and if you are ever back this way would love for you to stay with us again.
Have a fantastic summer

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My son and me stayed in this hotel for 2 night. We really enjoyed the stay,warm welcoming from the staff,clean room.We got a pass for YMCA swimming pool that was neaby.
The breakfast buffet was included and was very good .The only thing that I did not like was a small room.

Room Tip: Looks like the rooms all the same size.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank luba072
SaraDonkervoort, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites London Downtown, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
luba072,
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I am going to pass your kind words onto the staff at the hotel.
I hope you had a nice swim over at the YMCA as well, its a nice little perk we get to give our guests in return for them being able to have their staff park in our lot, since we do not have a swimming pool on site.
Unfortunately the standard rooms are all the same size and with 2 beds in the room can make it seem small. If you come back to London may a suggest a suite at our location? For 20-40 dollars extra you get more space and some privacy when travelling with multiple people as well.
Thanks again for the wonderful review.
Sherwood Park
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel is right downtown... just blocks away from most of the trendy restaurants. It is a bit older, but has been updated enough to fit into the more recent Holiday Inn Express style.
Good service. I would stay again because the value is there.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tom_teebird
Tom_teebird,
Thank you for the kind words.
With the selection of hotels out there now we are happy you chose to stay with us.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you stay again next time you are in London.

Shropshire, England
Reviewed April 21, 2012

This hotel is in an urban area very close to Downtown London. We are on vacation from the UK and were here for a concert at the Labatt Stadium and as the hotel website states it is within walking distance, it took us about 15 minutes and is an easy walk. However, there are a lot of dropouts hang around this area and I would not reccomend anyone walking alone. Our room was clean and comfortable,with a refigerator and microwave, it was not over large but more than adequate. The breakfast was good too with hot and cold choices, and I think that people who complain on here are probably expecting far more than they are paying for.We stayed for two nights, Thursday & Friday, on our first night the hotel was very quiet on the Friday it was very busy and there was a rather rowdy hockey team staying who were slamming doors and making lots of noise until the early hours. Hotel reception did their best to control this unreasonable behaviour, but drunk hockey players are difficult to deal with. We found all of the staff to be friendly and very helpful. On the whole we felt we got a good deal for a downtown hotel and would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Stokersam,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Your kind words will definitely be appreciated by all the staff at the hotel and used as motivation to keep up what we are doing.
I am glad you had a good time in London Ontario and hope you enjoyed your concert as well.
If you are ever in our area again it would be our pleasure to have you stay with us.
Thank you again.
Buckhorn, Canada
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I am writing this from the hotel room. I would leave but I am here on business with 6 other people and it is 10pm - too late to leave and many other hotels in the area were booked solid (no wonder this one was available). I have switched rooms 5 times and have not found a clean one. The mattress covers/bed skirts are all covered in other peoples hair (small, black hairs...). The room I am currently in also has a mattress cover with a broken zipper which should never have been placed on a bed - this should have been discarded or fixed. The carpets are not vaccuumed well either and there are clear pile ups of debris along all edges. One room I made a brief stop in wreaked of smoke despite this being a non-smoking facility. Though that isn't the hotels fault - it is still not acceptable. Another room had clear evidence of nasal fluids smeared on the walls beside the bed. Many of the walls in the hallways and in the rooms are marked up and need to be re-wallpapered.

I have been travelling a lot lately for work and have not had this issue at the other places I have stayed nor have I ever felt the need to write a review on a hotel before.

The front desk staff were fine with switching me but they do not have anyone in housekeeping on staff past 5pm and therefore it was not possible to request a room be properly cleaned (and properly cleaning rooms is evidently not something they practice here).

While I am listing flaws - The rooms are small/the furniture is too large so there is not much room to move around or put luggage (I recently stayed at a Hampton Inn in North Bay which was clean and had very nice large rooms).

The fridge and microwave in room are the only plusses but given the fact nothing is clean I dont plan on bringing food anywhere near this place. The TV is also nice - newer flatscreen but Id rather sleep in a tent and for-go basic cable ...too bad its below zero outside.

Other reviews noting the location as being terrible are spot on - this is not known to be a very nice area and the parking garage is NOT secure. Don't walk alone at night anywhere near here!

I have stayed at another Holiday Inn in Pennsylvania and it was very nice - I had expected the same from the brand but evidently that is asking too much.

Room Tip: Book someplace else
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jvive
SaraDonkervoort, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites London Downtown, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
jvive,
I am sorry that you are unhappy with the room you are currently staying in at our hotel.
Reading your review on the cleanliness of the room comes as a surprise to me as we pride ourselves on the ability of our housekeepers and the jobs they do keeping our hotel clean. We even just had our quality inspector in and he complimented the Executive Housekeeper on how well the rooms are cleaned.
I wish you had brought this to the attention of anyone on the Management staff so that we could have tried to help rectify this situation. When we are unaware that something is wrong it is hard for us to help that guest out.
I do understand that switching rooms is not ideal and am sorry that there was no one from housekeeping here to clean your room, but seeing as all rooms are cleaned and then doubled checked by the housekeeping supervisor before they all go home, there is usually not a need for them to be on after that time.
As for the location of the hotel, I am sorry you did not feel it was a good place to be, but seeing as there are 4 other hotels right around us including a Hilton and Delta I can assure you that the Downtown Area of London is a fine location. It is really no different then the downtown is any other city, such as Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa. The parking garage is equipped with cameras that do record in case of incident and this is the same at other city hotels as most do not have locked gate parking. (Again the Delta & Hilton around the corner)
In closing I am truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the hotel in any way at all and if you wish to discuss this further I can be reach at gm@ldnhiex.ca.