“Fall stay”

Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in London
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Fall stay”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Since I was travelling alone I felt the staff were very concerned for my safety and comfort which I truly appreciated. I was given a lovely room at the end of the first floor in the newer addition which looked onto the trees and fields that surround the centre. The history of this place holds my fascination and that is why this was my second trip. The staff could not have been more helpful and caring.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer.

We strive to make our guests feel safe and comfortable when they stay with us, and I am pleased that we were successful during both of your stays. We appreciate your business and look forward to a future visit.

Derek Grimaldi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed by myself from Oct 18-19 for a local hockey tourney. Check-in was quick and easy. Hallways/elevators/etc were all clean. Room was clean and tidy. Bathroom was excellent. The ipod dock was a great bonus. Logging into the hotel wifi was easy and quick. Room came with a fridge which was key. Walking to the rooms, it feels exactly like a university dorm.

My only complaint was the walking distance between parking lot and rooms. I had a room in the north east wing. The check-in desk was down a hill and on the south end of the building. So had to check-in, drive back up to the north lot, then walk back into the north east wing. Not a huge deal but annoying. It does make me appreciate the motels with parking right outside the room.

I had a package that included a buffet breakfast. Not great, not terrible, but convenient to just walk to the restaurant. Much better than any continental breakfast offered in other hotels.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the parking lots if possible
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. The building is definitely expansive and a north wing guestroom (Heritage Room) is a bit of a walk. Our south wing guestrooms (Ivey Rooms) may be a better option for you upon your next trip to Spencer - they are located directly to the left of our front desk and do not require a return trip to the car to move to the upper lot.

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Price - Cdn$123
Cleanliness - excellent.
Quietness - excellent.
Comfort - excellent.
Location - good - pleasant area, short drive to downtown or the University.
Friendliness - excellent, especially the lovely chap at the main desk.
Breakfast available (did not partake - too much food at homecoming events)
Classiness - very good.
Room Size - not the biggest but well laid out.
Room included - good tv; coffee making; shower; free WIFI.
Facilities included - free parking and nice grounds.
Nice touch - frequent shuttle to the University; abundance of fruit and flavoured water.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, October 10, 2013

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed so many elements of your stay. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service, and it sounds like this made your experience with us more pleasant.

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London for Homecoming - if not before then!

toronto
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed here twice (first stay 4 nights, second stay the following week for 2 nights). Overall, the property is quite nice and serene. Location wise, you are conveniently located to the University hospital site of the London Health Sciences Centre and Western. It's a short drive downtown to grab dinner or to the big boxes and mall in the opposite direction of downtown.
I was working at the main hospital site and was surprised at how long it took to drive there (lots of construction going on and congestion through the downtown area) - it would sometimes take about 25 minutes each way which was unexpected so perhaps keep this in mind if you need to get to the other side of town.

Anyway, the reason I have rated this hotel poorly is because in both rooms that I stayed in I thought that housekeeping did a pretty poor job of cleaning up after the previous guest. My first stay was not too bad, only a couple stray hairs in the bathtub so I let it go and did not change my reservations for the following week. The second week, there were stray hairs ALL OVER the bathroom counter, in the bathtub (MULTIPLE!), in the bathroom sink, on the bathroom floor. I was shocked because they were all over, and clearly evident, especially the dark hair against the whites of the sink and bathtub - how could housekeeping have missed this?

For this reason I would not stay here again nor would I recommend the hotel because when I stay in hotels, the last thing I want is evidence of previous guests to remind me of the germs and other things that are left behind. It made for an uncomfortable stay!

Secondly, I did not find the bed to be very comfortable, particularly during my first stay. I had back and neck pains and did not sleep through the night even once during that 4 night stay.

Despite the negatives, there were a couple good things about this hotel. The gym is fantastic - much better than any other 3 star hotels I've stayed at. It is large w/ very new machines and lots of weights, mats and other extras that you don't normally see. Ample space for doing mat work. For the most part, front desk service was very helpful, though there was one girl there who had an attitude problem - wish I'd gotten her name.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are quieter (no noise from above).
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jsl_00
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us.

Consistency and execution are key components of our delivery promise and in this case we failed to live up to that promise. We have reviewed your feedback as a team and are looking at our processes to ensure these inconsistencies do not repeat themselves. I am glad to hear there were some positive elements to your stay as well.

We thank you for your patronage and wish you the best in the future!

___________________________________________________________________________
Vaughan, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My son is at school in London and I had to take my son to University hospital, the location was perfect, breakfast was great, room very clean. I found a little on cool side, my son and I both got sore throats that did develop into a cold. Not much lighting in the room. They do need to have larger signs outside of hotel I missed entrance the first time. They should have bigger sign. Because my stay was short I did not use fitness centre. I found a little on the expensive side but because of the location I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, October 7, 2013

We are in the process of acquiring a new sign to be at our gate on Windermere Road. Unfortunately, our sign was accidentally knocked down and we do have temporary signage on the road until our sign could be remade. We apologize for the inconvenience this caused you.

I look forward to seeing you again and welcoming you back to Spencer.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

The hotel, on the whole, great. Breakfast was particularly good, with lots of cold and hot food, well presented at a buffet table.

Dinner at DK was a bit of a disappointment, Menu said New York strip, but it was really two slices of overdone beef, and far too much on the plate. My wife had salmon and it was also overdone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am happy to hear that you did enjoy some elements of your trip - and I apologize for the meal you had that you did not enjoy. I am reviewing your comments with our culinary team to ensure this does not happen again.

I would like to thank you for staying with us this Homecoming Weekend and I hope you will choose to stay with us again next year.

Buckhorn, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I booked this hotel for a business trip because at the time it was rated #1 on this site so I had expectations that it would be a nice place to stay.

First the positives:
The grounds to the hotel were lovely.
The breakfast buffet was also very good and had a pretty big selection.
Service at the front desk was friendly.
In the lobby they keep two pitchers of flavored waters that are hit and miss, but a nice touch.

The negatives:
The beds are hard as a rock. A springy rock. If you like sleeping on cheap mattresses - this is the place for you!
The hallways in the newer wing were tired, dated, and dimly lit. Low ceilings and fluorescent lighting really didn't fit with my expectations.
There are excessive amounts of doors leading to rooms - okay - maybe just one extra set. But when you are hauling luggage, every door counts and these ones didn't have the automatic open buttons to assist (this also may be problematic for anyone with mobility issues).
At one point the door to a laundry area was open and that looked just horrifying. I am not sure if it was for guests or housekeeping but either way, it was like a second floor basement.
The rooms were small. I guess I am used to staying in hotels where there are two double/queen beds or one king and lots of floor space but these rooms were cramped. When you enter, the ceiling is quite low (though it opens up). There isn't enough room for two nightstands even, rather a desk serves as the second nightstand. Okay for one small person but if I was larger/taller, I imagine it would have felt uncomfortable. The bathroom was also cramped with the door essentially swinging open into the toilet.

All of this however was forgivable and would have just resulted in a "meh" experience. Not bad but not amazing.

However, housekeeping more than nailed the coffin closed on this place! It was the hair. Dark hair. Someone's hair was everywhere. And though it wasn't screaming infidelities, it was grossing me right out. First it was on the bathroom counter. It was dark and short. My hair is light and long. This hair was not mine. Housekeeping clearly had not wiped down the counter, and if they did they really half-[--] it. I was tired though and I thought, one hair, whatever. I wiped it into the garbage, washed my paranoid hands thoroughly, and then left my belongings in a different area so that housekeeping would hopefully clean the counter. Sadly, this was not the end of the hair. The next night, while re-arranging my pillows I noticed that the backs of them were covered in black fluff and stray hairs. Not one, but many. So many hairs. I threw all the pillows on the ground and kept the one that was least hairy. I believe the problem here likely came from their dryers. I feel like it was a result of static cling and a poor laundry system, or at least I hoped as that would mean the hairs were at a minimum laundered. My coworker who was also staying in the hotel had the same problem, finding stray hairs all over her bathroom as well. In the shower, on the counter. Hair, hair, everywhere.

The one thing I really expect from a hotel is that my room is clean. Not just a quick wipe down like I do when I clean my house, but the kind of clean that removes the grime of strangers who came before so that guests can sleep peacefully as if it is their own home. I really don't think that is asking a lot, but these days it seems so hard to find a place where the housekeepers actually care enough to properly clean the rooms.

Some of the negatives with this place are hard to fix and wouldn't have stopped me from staying again with this hotel but the housekeeping was just not acceptable. Hair stands out, its a good indicator of how clean a place is and it begs the question, if they missed a visible hair, what invisible grime is still lurking?

Room Tip: Check in when housekeeping is still on site so that you can have them re-clean your room before you...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Our promise to our customers is to provide exemplary service and in this case we failed to live up to that promise. We have reviewed your feedback as a team and are looking at your areas of concern to ensure these issues do not repeat themselves.

I hope you will stay with us if you again visit London, as we would welcome the opportunity to provide you with the service/product you expect and deserve.