“Great location near the University”

Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre
Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in London
Toronto, Canada
“Great location near the University”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Great location near the university. Nice room in very quiet location with large grounds. Okay buffet breakfast included. Some difficulty making the reservation but glad I persisted as it was in an ideal location for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PatE57
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer.

Thank you for letting us know of the difficulties you faced during the reservation making process - we will be reviewing our procedures with our reservations department to try to ensure these issues do not happen again.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to hosting you again.

Derek Grimaldi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is simply a lovely place to spend a few days. Situated in 30 acres, the view from my room was stunning. Price included free hot breakfast and free coffee all day. I like the fact that they provide 2%, Homo and cream and not the dreadful pods that are so common in other facilities. It is details like this that make so much difference to me. The room was ultra clean, I like the dispensers in the bathtub - so much better than all those little bottles. The linens had a vague silkiness to them that kept cool during the hot weather - very comfortable. Free laundry facilities are available (including washing detergents and softeners) ample free parking (don't you just hate having to pay extra to park a car - after all who checks in at a hotel without a car - not many). All the staff, especially Steve and Julie were attentive and friendly. I would have no hesitation in recommending this facility. Another good point - all the rooms have queen beds - which means that sports teams are unlikely to pick this hotel for their out of town tournaments.

Room Tip: I liked the corner units because they had two windows. third floor had good views
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear valued guest,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that in particular Steve and Julie helped to enhance your experience.

Mississauga
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I had stayed here a number of times on overnights for business, so when I was looking for somewhere to stay for longer-term due to a family member in the hospital (UH) for a lengthy stay, we chose the Ivey. While it doesn't have a "traditional" hotel feel to it, all of my stays here have been very pleasant. The rooms, while small, are very comfortable, clean and contemporary. The staff at the Ivey are outstanding; particularly Steven and Julie at the front desk, and Judy and Esther in the dining room. When my mother and I were staying there, we were only there for breakfast, as we spent our days at the hospital. Judy and Esther made sure we had a good breakfast, and sent us on our way with to-go cups of tea and lunch bags with fruit, snacks and water. Their thoughtfulness at such a difficult time was much appreciated. When I returned recently for business (after not having been there for five months), Steve greeted me by asking how my mother was doing and how my father's health was. I continue to have to travel to London for business, and don't expect to ever stay anywhere but the Ivey.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your many stays with us. We appreciate your repeat visits.

We definitely try to make our guests feel comfortable and at home while they are with us. I am pleased to hear that our facility and our staff helped you (and your mother) feel at ease while here.

All the best.

toronto
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed here for a meeting and was impressed by the grounds. Such a great location and the rooms were nice. The meeting spaces were very well equipped and the food at the "Nutritional Hubs" at breaks was fantastic. Dinner was nice and the kitchen always had a variety of choices on the menu. I do not have any dietary requirements but a few of the people in our group did and the kitchen was more than willing to substitute items for them. A great place for a meeting with WIFI everywhere throughout the property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience while staying at Spencer for a meeting.

We value all of our guests - and I am pleased to hear that the meeting experience you had here was enjoyable. The ease of our Nourishment Hub and complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the building is provided to make your stay with us pleasant and relaxing - and I am glad they added to your enjoyment of your stay.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Guided, as we so often are, by TripAdvisor, we were looking for a nice hotel--not a "leadership centre"--to break up a long drive between the Bible Belt and Ottawa, the Canadian national capital, on the occasion of the July 1 celebration of Canada Day. Always seeking quality properties other than chains, our eyes were drawn to the positive descriptions of this place called, strangely, the "Leadership Centre." We found precious little to detract us, and the price was right, and so we reserved a room there twice, coming and going. We could not have been more pleased! Our first night hosts, Steve and Julie, were even more obliging than hospitable, and every facet of our two rooms was on a par with any hotel we had ever occupied. Yes, there were ample facilities for lectures and workshops, but the hotel went far beyond expectations, and the breakfast--food as well as surroundings--served coming by Judy and going by Sue, was not to have been missed. The daytime hosts, Alex coming and Agna going, were more than happy to meet our every need, and if our travels ever again take us through that part of the world, there is no other place we would consider. Next visit we will leave time to explore the beautiful, expansive grounds.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GordonSmith1025
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, July 10, 2013

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that our title of "Leadership Centre" didn't dissuade you from staying with us. We value our business guests as well as our leisure guests and are always trying to improve our services/product to make all of our guests feel comfortable and at home when staying with us.

Toronto
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a very nice place -- HUGE, and with sprawling, nicely maintained grounds. My wife and I stayed here recently for an overnight anniversary celebration. The room was lovely and clean, with all the amenities you would hope for and a comfortable bed. The staff were very friendly, especially our waitress at dinner, Ester, who went to the trouble of printing out directions to (the wonderful) Sunfest music festival, where we spent the evening. The food at dinner was very tasty. The room and restaurant prices were quite reasonable and good value. I was a bit disappointed with the complimentary breakfast. The coffee wasn't that great, I had to ask for cream, and the waitress got my order totally wrong. But, overall, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return when in London.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnLS
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am truly sorry that you breakfast experiencedid not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us.

Consistency and execution are key components of our delivery promise and in this case we failed to live up to that promise. We have reviewed your feedback as a team and are looking at our processes to ensure these inconsistencies do not repeat themselves.

I am pleased that you did enjoy most elements of your stay and thank you for giving us another chance to make your stay perfect (upon your next trip to London!).

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I recently stayed and enjoyed the facilities immensely. The food was excellent and although the rooms are small, they are well laid out, and the bathrooms are excellent. Where I have issues is that a deposit was taken on my debit card and two weeks later it has not been returned. I have called several times to request a conversation with a manager and each time I was told this was standard. I have issue with the fact that the transaction receipt shows a VISA return, not a debit return. I feel they have processed in error. I have no issue waiting but feel my concerns were not being addressed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear valued client,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I apologize for the delay in straightening out this accounting matter. I have spoken personally with our Controller and our Front Desk Manager and I have been assured that the matter is being looked after and that it is in the process of being rectified.

I am sorry that this issue had a negative impact on your otherwise positive experience and I hope that you will stay with us again if/when you visit the London area.

Thank you.