“The Little Things Make All The Difference”

Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I am a Western Alumni who was returning to London to visit some friends and reminisce about my university days. I chose this hotel because 1) the price is reasonable and 2) the proximity to the university. I do want to say that I have made similar concerns known to the hotel manager, and talked to him personally after my visit and have full confidence that the matters I detail below will be / have been dealt with.

The grounds and overall building is immaculate, a real treat to see. Check in was speedy and courteous. My first concern occurred when trying to get to my room. It is important to know that the hotel is just one component of this complex (it also houses most of the Ivey School of Business MBA classes currently). Consequently the walk to our room was a trek, not in distance per say, but difficult to follow. A courtesy walk from one of the service staff to your room would be a welcome improvement.

The rooms are clean well updated but not spacious by any means (the rooms used to be dorm rooms which are not designed for expansive living). The morning shower brought the next problem, a severely clogged drain. My girlfriend and I had to shower in 5 min intervals with a 15min wait time in between or else the whole bathroom would flood. Not a great start to a day.

Finally, upon checkout, when we informed the service staff of our problem with the shower they made no apology, and showed no concern over our situation. While I understand it is at checkout and no solution was available, empathy would have been sufficient.

Overall this is a good hotel that needs just a little polish.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott_Powell
There are newer reviews for Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre

Reviewed December 6, 2011

Stayed here recently for one evening. Beautiful historic buildings set in a secluded tranquil location, provides you with an escape from everyday life. Food was amazing, outstanding friendly service, and staff went out of their way to please. Enjoyed the new outdoor lounge area with natural gas-lit fire pit. Smaller renovated rooms are comfortable and cozy. Great place to host a business function or a romantic evening for 2. The 24-hour self serve Starbuck coffee was a nice added touch! We will be back!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Todd H
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Stayed here 2 nights recently while visiting my daughter who attends the University of Western Ontario which is very close to the Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre. I didn't eat here so can't comment on the dining but I saw 2 very large groups dining there one evening and everyone seemed very happy. It's not a typical hotel - it has the feel of a conference centre or educational facility. There were grad students milling around and classes/exams going on in several of the large rooms. It was a bit of a walk to my room from the check-in desk and there were no elevators up to my floor. However, I didn't have much luggage and the staff offered to help me with it anyway. I really appreciated the spacious sitting areas. My daughter also loved it - she came over to escape her noisy residence so that she could study and do homework. She really appreciated the ample seating in the public areas, free coffee and free wifi! The staff were absolutely fantastic - very friendly and helpful. I really enjoyed my stay and I'm staying here again when I go up to bring my daughter home for winter break.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank MarylandNed
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Our organization has now hosted a number of events with Ivey and truly it is the cream of the crop. Year after year staff recognize and remember not only us but our guests, and it makes everyone feel spectacular. I personally travel a lot for business, and these beds are the most comfortable beds a business traveller could hope for. From the first class and modern lecture rooms and meeting space, to the comfort of the lounges for those who attend, to the amazing food Ivey is always our first choice when we want our guests and attendants to feel welcome and VIP. Every evaluation we have received after hosting an event at Ivey the comments are over the top at the excellence in location, service, and quality. Personally we hear about the staff at the Ivey and how they are second to none, and we have experienced it ourselves as well. Doesn't matter what the detail or issue, doesn't matter what needs to be done, if the Ivey Staff can make it happen they will. Highly recommended and you can count on our return business!!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Hotwire boasted that the Ivey Spencer leadership hotel was a Boutique hotel. The Ivey Spencer hotel advertises their bathrooms as being boutique in style. Please dear reader do not be misled either description. While it is true the property is stunning and the exteriors of the historic structure are impressive. Let’s face it, especially when the weather is changing to cold and blustery, what matters for many of us reserving a hotel room is the hotel room. From the reception, we walked seven minutes through clusters of students sprawled out on furniture doing what appeared as group projects and simply milling about, perhaps warming up. On our way to our room we also passed legions of multi-tasking grey and black suits replete with mobile devices standing orderly in line for the free coffee and hot beverages offered at different locations in hotel and on the hike to the room. To the room we arrived. Fitting with the atmosphere just described, the hotel room was at best a high end dormitory offering. The coziness advertised translates into one person (size 0) having to sit on the bed for the other person (size 7/8) to walk past in the space between bed and desk. What was advertised as a pillow top mattress consisted of a sturdy, uncomfortable dormitory style mattress topped with a slab of foam. The sheets may have been 200 thread count being generous. The bathroom while obviously redone with attempts to make it appear nicely appointed was a huge disappointment in size and features. The small bottles of soaps and body lotions appeared to be half filled and one got the sense that they may have in fact been refilled. Free WiFi is available as long as you do not use Apple products and a call to the reception for advice on this matter yielded the unhelpful suggestion that we could get in line to use the public computers in the lobby. Instead, I activated the personal hotspot on my iphone so that we could make use of wireless delivered by my cellular plan during our overnight stay. The voice message system on the landline in the room was also not working and this was also confirmed by the reception. We are supposing that this hotel received a star because it has a restaurant and in the basement there is also an eatery open all day. Though we cannot speak about food or service in the basement restaurant, near the student lockers, the food in the restaurant above ground was atrocious. The Ruben was drenched with French’s yellow mustard and even so the corned beef was still dry and surprisingly tough to chew. The Caesar Salad had all the expected ingredients and yet was inedible. As consolation, we were offered the opportunity to select a dessert from the buffet table. At last, a positive was experienced. Two in fact. One, our servers noticed our barely touched meals and offered a free dessert and the second, the chocolate mint cheesecake we selected from the buffet table was phenomenal. For the price of the meal, however, that was one expensive slice of cheesecake! After our meal we dutifully trudged back to our room through the maze of conference attendees and students wondering at what point we might experience during our stay the nourishment of mind, body and spirit at Spencer. It is true we did not try the high ropes course while there. But, then, we had booked our stay for l relaxation. Some might be tempted to say we are unhappy guests and this is why we encountered so many disappointments in the hotel. In actuality, however, it was that we encountered so many disappointments in our stay, we left terribly unhappy.

Room Tip: At the end of our stay, we learned upon checking out that there are larger rooms located closer to t...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Lara D
Strathroy6ontheGO, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre.

I am sorry to hear that there were aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. Our leadership team has reviewed at length your concerns and they are in the process of rectifying those issues to ensure they do not happen again.

Commencing Monday, December 5th we will be shutting down our larger Ivey guestrooms for a complete renovation, which will be completed in early January 2012.

We would welcome the opportunity to be of service to you during your next visit to the London area, and would ask that you contact me directly to assist in making the necessary arrangements.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

Was there for a whole week for an event. The restaurant is nicely run although there was an evening when roast was being served and the person cutting the meat said "if you want it cooked more then you HAVE TO WAIT" though there were only two other people waiting. There's a better way to say "please wait while I serve these guests." The housekeeping was just poorly run. My bill came in thrice and was inaccurate. No complimentary bath products. I was told to "leave the room" since I am not in the list when clearly I was supposed to be there for another day of paid stay. The classrooms were warm one day, cold the next. Front desk staff was mediocre. The beds were hard and the pillows practically made of air. The only good feature of the room were the soap dispensers IF they actually had soap in it. Overall a terrible experience.

Room Tip: Find a room facing the forest, it's quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank SolutionsGroup

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us.

Consistency and execution are key components of our delivery promise and in this case we failed to live up to that promise. We have reviewed your feedback as a team and are looking at our processes to ensure these inconsistencies do not repeat themselves.

Please feel free to reach out to me on your next visit to London as we would welcome the opportunity to be at your service again.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

If you are feeling nostalgic for university living, then this is the place for you. It is a budget operation and the room is good value for the money, although it has the look and feel of a grad student residence. The restaurant is open for breakfast only until 9 am and the university dining experience is carried through there, as well.

• Stayed: November 2011
Strathroy6ontheGO, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at Spencer. We are pleased to offer two distinct room types on property - our Heritage Guestrooms and our more spacious Ivey Guestrooms. Please feel free to contact me directly on your next visit to London as I would be pleased to offer a complimentary upgrade to one of our larger guestrooms.

We look forward to being of service to you in the near future.