“What a great place to take your children, and enjoy London Ontario”

Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in London
TOBERMORY
“What a great place to take your children, and enjoy London Ontario”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We have stayed here several times, and have not been disappointed. The staff are freindly, and the rooms are very reasonalbly priced. We enjoy the food there, and the pool is a childs dream!! Very nice decor, and the pool is warm. Hot tub is 101 deg F, right on the money!!
We would invite anyone to come and try this place out. It is close to the hospitalsd, if you are visiting, and close to shopping. Everything in the room was clean, and orderly. It is a very relaxing place to go to, and enjoy family, or just relax. It is a highlight in the London area!!

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are nice, but can be a little bit noisy if there are a lot of folks in the pool. We...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
fanofhotel, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
Dear 1oldgeezer,

Thank you for visiting our property continuously and for taking the time to write such a positive review.

I am really glad that each visit in an enjoyable experience and that you are able to get a chance to enjoy all of the amenities. Our location is ideal due to our proximity to area Hospitals, shopping and downtown London.

Thank you again for your wonderful comments and for your continued patronage. We look forward to seeing you again!

BEST WESTERN PLUS Lamplighter Inn and Conference Centre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We needed a place to stay with our puppy and was happy to find out they have pet friendly rooms. Our room had a patio door right out to a small yard, which was great for letting the dog out. When we checked in, the front desk gave us a food bowl, dog treats, and doggy poop bags and holder. That alone was worth the extra $10 for bringing a pet. We weren't ever asked what breed of dog we had which made us feel even more welcome (lot's of people discrimate against our dog because of how he looks). Being in a pet room, I admit we weren't expecting it to be very nice but we have no complaints about the condition! The beds were comfortable and the pillows were amazing. I acutally want to get the same kind for my bed at home!!

Our Christmas party always has delicous food for dinner. Shelly's restaurant was great for breakfast. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

A few minor things we had problems with:
-Interior signage was nonexistant. We weren't the only ones randomly walking up and down the halls trying to figure out how to get to the banquet rooms from our room or to a friends room.
-The thermostat in our room didn't have temperatures on it. Just "warmer" and "cooler"; which was quite annoying trying to get a nice temperature when we didn't plan on being in the room long enough to figure out what it needed to be set at until we were coming back to sleep. (The room was quite cool when we first arrived).
-When we checked out, the bill was more than what I was quoted when I booked the room. I pointed this out to the front desk clerk and it was changed to what I was quoted but I have read complaints about this same thing so I wasn't impressed. I had communicated via e-mail to change my room to the pet friendly room; so maybe I would get the total price quoted via e-mail so I had written proof next time.

The good things far out weigh the negative, and over all it was a great night and I'd stay again for sure.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Shauna,

Thank you for visiting our Hotel and for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad to hear you found us to be welcoming to your pet. We understand that our guests like to travel with their "best friend's" so we make every effort to welcome them. We also work to ensure no other guests are inconvenienced by having specific rooms set aside exclusively for people travelling with pets.

I am glad you found the beds and pillows so comforable. We actually have quite a few guests requesting pillows to take home! The brand of pillows is "Comforel" and I believe Sears carries a line of them if you were ever interested in picking some up. By all means don't hesitate to reach us if you would like to purchase some.

In regards to your concerns, I would like to take the time to address them.

As per the lack of interior signage, I will forward on your comments to the rest of the team. It is certainly an issue that we can look at correcting by making some simple changes, so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

As per the issues with your Thermostat, I have reviewed this with our maintenance department and they have assured me that they are working to have them removed replaced with thermostats that specify a temperature. The majority of our Hotel rooms have been completed but we still have a few rooms to correct.

The only explanation I can give regarding the change in your room rate is that perhaps when they reassigned your room to a pet friendly one, the computer changed the rate and therefore it was incorrect. I am glad to hear they corrected it for you and I have followed up with the Front Desk manager to confirm he is instructing all staff that at the initial reservation stage the rate is permanent and cannot be adjusted.

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention; this way we can address them. Thanks again for choosing our Hotel and I am glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Hopefully we will get the opportunity to welcome you back.

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

Stayed here for a business trip (4 days), first observation - no business centre! Its a conference centre and they don't have a business centre?! The rooms are adequate, but the place is a maze to get around. Free parking (bonus!) The restaurant food is a hit or miss. Apparently they have a great breakfast for 4.99. My only complaint came the 3rd day, when a bunch of kids checked into the hotel, and had to put up with running in the halls, loud parents drinking and eating in the hall. Phoned the front desk and they explained that 10 hockey teams were staying there - in other words, suck it up. I would have liked to have moved but the place was booked solid. I didn't appreciate being stuck with all this noise as I did have to leave the hotel to get some work done. Never again, can't recommend this place either. That was poor planning and response to a legitimate complaint.

Room Tip: stay some where else.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank capistrano99
Dear Capistrano99,

Thank you for visiting our Hotel and for taking the time to write a review.

Let me begin by apologizing for your unpleasant stay; we always strive to ensure all of our guests are able to enjoy the Hotel but it is clear by your review we did not deliver for you.

I am glad to hear that you were pleased with the complimentary parking. Travelling can be a costly venture and it's always nice to save money wherever possible. As for your comments regarding the Business Centre I will be sure to forward them along to the owner. We do have a computer with internet and printing capabilities in our lobby available to our guests free of charge, but perhaps we should look at placing it in a more private space.

I am also very sorry that you found the other groups in the Hotel so disruptive. Throughout hockey season the Hotel can be very busy with different groups in town for tournaments. We do hire security for the evenings and our staff makes every effort to control them but unfortunately it is not always possible. I also am very dissapointed that when you notified the Front Desk staff you were not met with any type of solution. The Hotel was busy however, there is always something that can be done, whether it's to offer a meeting room complimentary for you to work or some other level of retribution.

Again, my sincere apologies. I will be following up with the Front Desk and Customer Service team to ensure we are handling guest concerns appropriately and also working dilligently to monitor and control loud and disruptive Hotel guests.

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review and I do hope that you are able to visit the Hotel again so that we may show you we are a Hotel that can please all of our guests.

Woodstock, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

Stayed here while in London at the hospital and the hotel and staff were excellent. From quick and efficient check-in to a clean and comforatble room this hotel had everything perfect. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
fanofhotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
Dear Ravs27,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are certainly very flattering and I look forward to sending them onto the rest of the staff.

Since you were here for a Hospital stay, I hope you were able to take advantage of our Complimentary Hospital shuttle as well as our discounted Hospital rates for patients and staff.

I am glad to hear you intend to return; hopefully it will be for pleasure this time. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards,

Kitchener, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2011

We just finished our stay at this hotel and it was such a disappointing experience. We arrived a little earlier than normal check-in and were able to go to our rooms...so far, so good. Since our girls (ages 4 & 6) wanted to swim, we changed into our suits right away and headed for the pool...only to find out it was closed since there was a wedding going on. It was closed for @two hours. I wish the person checking us in had informed us of this since it was a real inconvenience and the kids were very disappointed. We decided to go out for an early dinner and come back to use the pool after. When we got back, the hotel had been taken over by a large group (maybe a hockey tournament?) and they were everywhere. We tried to use the pool but the older kids had taken over and the pool was too full & rowdy for our smaller kids to even use and the hot-tub was over-full, way beyond capacity. When we left the pool area (about 10 minutes after getting there), we tried to take the elevator to the second floor since I also had an elderly Aunt with me. Unfortunately there were kids playing hockey in the hallways and in front of the elevator, even though it was very close to the lobby. They didn't move even when my Aunt (who is 90) tried to get to the elevator. Horrible!!! We finally got to our room and we couldn't even use our balcony since it was overlooking the packed pool and there were people everywhere across from us (looking directly into our room) sitting on chairs drinking. We basically closed our blinds and turned the air conditioner on high to drown out the noise (pool is open until 11 pm) and tried to get some sleep. Not a great experience. I understand that hotels need to rent to larger groups but I think we should be forewarned that this is going to happen and the hotel will be full of people. I was so disappointed. I didn't call to complain since there really didn't seem to be any point. On the up-side, when I got up in the morning, the pool area was deserted and looked absolutely beautiful. I think if this hotel had not been so full, it might have been a different experience. It's really too bad. If you plan to go to this hotel, make sure that you ask if (a) there are any weddings planned; and (b) if there are any large groups staying due to local tournaments. I don't think we will be returning.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms overlook the atrium & the pool. This is a wonderful option as long as there ar...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank lilac7272
fanofhotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Dear Lilac,

Thank you for visiting our Hotel and for taking the time to write a review.

Let me begin by apologizing for your unsatisfactory experience; our goal is to ensure all of our guests are able to enjoy the Hotel and it is clear by your review we did not deliver for you.

I am glad to hear that we were able to accommodate your early arrival; whenever possible we try to meet special requests. I certainly apologize that you were not made aware of the pool closure; there is a sign posted on the Front Desk advising guests upon check-in but the agent who checked you in should have directed you to the information.

I am also very sorry that you found the other groups in the Hotel so disruptive. Throughout Hockey season the Hotel can be very busy with different groups in town for tournaments. We do hire security for the evenings and our staff makes every effort to control them but unfortunately it is not always possible. I do wish that you would have notified the staff as they would have immediately asked that the group stop playing hockey in the hallway as that is not permitted and asked that the other groups keep the noise level down. Perhaps we could have found a way to accommodate your family elsewhere in a less busy part of the Hotel. I will also be speaking with our reservations agents regarding notifying guests when there are large groups in house.

Again, my sincere apologies. I do hope that you are able to visit the Hotel again and that we are able to show you we are a Hotel that can please all of our guests.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Lamplighter Inn
South River, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

The Hotel is a nice place to stay, however our experience at the restaurant was not. We didn't even make it in the front door - we were ignored & when I informed the front desk of why we were not using their restaurant they sakd OK; Not how can I make it right etc. You know that blank look you get.....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Brian B,

Thank you for visiting our Hotel and also for taking the time to write a response. I am certainly dissapointed to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.

I am glad you found the Hotel nice, but I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the service you did (or did not rather) receive in our on-site restaurant. I would also like to extend an apology for the lack of response you received when you addressed the complaint with the Front Desk. I can assure you it is certainly not our policy to ignore our guest's and I will be following up with the Front Desk with this information.

I will also be speaking with the Restaurant staff regarding your complaints as they most definitely dropped the ball. I understand that they may be busy, but they should never pass by waiting customers and disregard them.

Thank you for your comments; your review will allow me to identify specific areas we need to improve. I truly hope you will make your way back here and that we will have the opportunity to show you that all areas of our Hotel are wonderful.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Lamplighter Inn
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed in a suite which had a large living area and bedroom but quite a small bathroom considering. The hotel was clean and very large with a fantastic pool area. It was a bit noisy at night due to the many wedding/conference rooms there. The taxi to the Grand Theatre downtown was approximately $15 and took 15-20min. Overall great value and experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank wherenext_10
fanofhotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear wherenext_10,

Thank you for choosing our property and also for taking the time to complete a review.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your experience and will be sure to forward along your comments regarding the cleanliness of the Hotel to our housekeeping staff; they work very hard and certainly deserve a pat on the back! I am also pleased you enjoyed your guest room layout and the pool area. The Atrium is certainly a highlight for our guests.

I apologize for the noise you experienced throughout your stay; it can be somewhat difficult to control when we have large events in house, however we do our absolute best to ensure our guests are not inconvenienced. I truly hope it didn't put too much of a damper on your stay.

Thank you again for choosing the Lamplighter and I hope you enjoyed the show at the Grand Theatre. We look forward to welcoming you back!