“Just Okay”

Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in London
London
“Just Okay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

We stayed at the Metro as a little getaway. We ate at Braise (fabulous) and then thought it woud be great to just stay upstairs. The room was a little odd...one large chair, desk with a bucket chair and a bed in the room. Kind of sparse. Everything was okay but not better. We had the wheelchair room so the shower had a ramp. The shower head leaked so the pressure was poor and the bathroom was soaked. Wouldn't recommend it for anything other than the convenience factor.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

Some ups and some downs to this place.
The upside:
1. Looks great in pictures
2. great location. We walked to the market and to a funky restaurant
The downside:
3. the bed was comfy (tempurpedic!)
1. the decor is a bit mixed up - with lots of cool modern items but not a really cohesive feel
2. there was some wiring hanging from the ceiling where a light fixture had been
3. there was some other minor damage to the room (e.g., a broken blind)
4. shower had one rainfall showerhead which wasn't enough to create a good flow of water or keep me warm
5. it was noisy - from the hallway, from outside, and especially from the heating system
6. the blinds didn't provide a really dark sleeping environment, and there were outside lights shining in on us.
7. parking was next door in the market parkade and was not free or very convenient

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

If I am ever in London again, hotel metro is where I will be stayin, the king size loft suite is incredible! The rainfall shower and the open concept bathtub was very nice, at 6"3 it was a great not to be ducking under the shower head or have my feet hanging out of the tub, my girlfriend wanted to take it all home with her from the bed to the furniture, overall the suite wasn't a touch, but a handful of class!

• Stayed May 2011
Zul K, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, September 25, 2015
We truly appreciate your taking the time to leave us a review. We take great pride in providing a great experience to our treasured guests.

New Liskeard, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Metro in London to attend a concert at the nearby John Labatt Centre and were very pleased with the rooms and location! We had an adjoining room as we were travelling with two teens and the complimentary breakfast delivered to our room was a nice touch! The hotel was very quiet during our stay, which was a welcome surprise based on past experience we have staying in hotels in London. We will definitely stay here again and I recommend it to all travellers!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

I love boutique hotels and Hotel Metro is the only one in London. Since it's relatively new, it still has a ways to go before it becomes a true, 5 star experience. I came here for my birthday and had a wonderful experience. Amazing boutique hotel for a very affordable price.

Location:
Location is central, right downtown.

Rooms:
We got the loft room (actually, we got a Marvelous Suite but my friends showed up early and upgraded it for me - it was my birthday) and it's a stunning room: clean, modern design, lovely accents, exposed brick wall. The bathtub is really comfortable and I like the open concept bath. I also like how the toilet gets its own separate room. The bed was huge and very comfortable. We slept great because the giant windows are covered by these amazingly thick, grey curtains. It was pitch black when we closed them. My only complaint is that there's no mini fridge, which was unfortunate because we had drinks and items that we wanted to keep chilled.

Service:
Unfortunately, there was only one person there and every time we asked for something that we needed (fork, ice bucket, ice), this one guy had to do it and I think we had him running around the hotel helping us. (I'm certain that he was only there because when we checked in, he told us to hold on. We waited for about 15 minutes because he'd gone upstairs to arrange our romance package - candles, rose petals, some other goodies that my friends had left - and then returned. He was excellent and accomodating but it would've been better if the hotel had some more employees working.

Hotel:
Not much in the actual hotel but there's lots to do around.

Food:
Room service breakfast is complimentary. I imagine it's because there's no dining area.

Once the hotel figures out its kinks, I'm sure this place will be excellent. I would definitely return here again and am already recommending it to everyone I know.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

This was a shoe warehouse which an attempt to make it a hotel was a mistake.
There is no free parking, the room features a tub and sink next to the bed..... The colours chossen are a drab grey and when the heater is running to keep the room warm, it is very noisy.
One thing they do try to do to make it worth staying is offer a complimentry breakfast. If stale chocolate chip muffins, cold porridge are your fancy then this place is for you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2010

I booked this hotel for my family and I was hoping for a nice stay and a good impression of the city. Unfortunately as soon as they arrived there was only a lady at the concierge and no one else there. No bell boy, no valet parking... My guest had a recent back surgery yet he had to carry 4 huge bags himself. Then he had to park the car in a public underground parking and walk back in a cold night at 20F. The next morning we realized that there was no breakfast in the hotel and they had to go to the Market for it.
I'm puzzled why this hotel got 4stars?????
Next time I would prefer Hilton or other hotels with some standard besic services.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Mel60763
TeamMetro, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, December 19, 2010
Dear Guest,
I apologize for inconvenience that may have caused you during your stay. we are individually operated small boutique hotel and therefore we are not overstaffed. i am sure our GSA had offered you to help in every manner they could. please accept my apology. Regards