“Good food, good ambience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Kantina Restaurant
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, Canada
“Good food, good ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Lives up to its reviews. An interesting menu well prepared and served hot. The service was friendly and attentive, but not intrusive. Try the polenta for app and duck sausage. We will be back

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Maggie C

London, Ontario
“One of the best in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Excellent service, fine food. Atmosphere with easy elegance. Some menu choices can be expensive, but are worth the price. Wine list is varied, and you can count on the house wine if you don't want to spend more. I've eaten here many times for both lunch and dinner. Guests I have brought to Kantina have always enjoyed it. An upbeat place with creative style.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Kantina is wonderful, easily one of the best restaurants in Southern Ontario. Its small but the ambience is great and the service is friendly and helpful. The modern fusion take on eastern european classics is truly unique and a great dining experience. Highly unique cocktails are available as well, such as "the drunken serb". Try the Black George Pork, absolutely divine. The desserts are handmade on site and always fresh. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank steve l
Ontario
“Did not meet my expectations :(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I really wanted to like this place, but unfortunately that was not the case. The atmosphere, service, and quality of the food did not correspond to $150 bill for two of us that we paid at the end. We had arugula salad, salmon rolls, and chowder as appetizers. Arugula in the salad was so bitter, that I could not eat it at all. There was no dressing of any sort. Chowder seemed to be made from canned tuna, not real seafood. The only edible appetizer were salmon rolls. Then came the main courses. The portions were tiny. I had pulled pork in savoy cabbage. Again there was no sign of haut cuisine in this dish. Black George that people rave about so much was just OK. The biggest disappointment was their desert. Pahlava was disgusting. It could not even stand in comparison with pahlava that you can buy in Costco.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank olesyazh
Miljan K, Owner at Kantina Restaurant, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your review, Olesyazh.

As for your dissatisfaction with your total bill, we feel strongly that, relative to what you ordered: three appetizers, three main dishes, three glasses of wine and two teas... we are more than competitive.

We've never had a single complaint regarding "tiny" portion size as you can see from other reviews, but we'll definitely keep this in mind as we look for ways to improve the customers experience at Kantina.

As for your specific concerns with the quality of your meal, after speaking with all my staff, I feel a little uneasy that you didn't mention this to us during your visit as you had ample opportunity via our two servers, the host and even our chef who came out to see you at your table regarding the "special order" items you requested, and were served, that were not on the Valentine's Day menu. It's unfortunate you didn't allow us the opportunity to resolve any issues you had immediately - please keep this in mind for next time you dine out.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write your review, although I wish things transpired differently, I'd welcome you to come in and talk to me personally.
“Delicious and Unpretentious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I showed up on a busy night without a reservation, but they found a seat for me and my boyfriend in less than 2 minutes. The interior is a bit small and cramped, but it's a small downtown location, so that's to be expected. We started with the beef carpaccio, which was juicy, chilled, and tangy. I had a glass of wine which was a tad overpriced but tasty. I ordered the chicken breast, and my boyfriend ordered the black george, after the recommendation of the waiter. We actually enjoyed each other's dishes more, so we swapped. I really enjoyed the experience: the waitstaff joked around with us and didn't rush us out. It was excellent, fine dining.

Visited January 2013