Tripadvisor

Review of Los Lobos

Los Lobos
Ranked #85 of 1,321 Restaurants in London
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

They call this "Modern Mexican", but it's more like "Modern Merde". Between four of us, we tried seven items: Chilaquiles, Corn Fritters, Black Bean Tacos, Beef Tongue Tostada, Carnita Tostada, Blackened Fish Burrito, and Chicken Burrito. Each dish was revolting in a unique and "modern" way. Heavy handed in salt and sauces on the outside, bland and tasteless on the inside; none of these dishes had even remotely Mexican flavours, and several were absolutely unpalatable. Someone, clearly not a chef, created this food as an Instagram ploy - pretty as a picture, but no heart or soul, and no thought to what it might taste like. We didn't finish a single dish, and couldn't get out of there fast enough. Hold onto your wallets and run in the other direction.

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank M2532WCjenniferg
Write a reviewReviews (101)

Reviewed January 12, 2020

We stopped here for lunch on a weekday, shortly after 1pm. Parking was a bit of a challenge, but I was able to find a spot in a paid lot a half a block up Talbot. There are also meters along the street, but those spaces are rare. The entrance to the restaurant is off of Talbot and the little waiting area already shows off it's funky Mexican style with a colorful painting of a female skull. The patio area looks like it would be lovely and private, but due to the winter weather, we opted to eat indoors at a booth. Where ever you look there are interesting things to see - colourful Mexican art (think Day of the Dead) everywhere, an interesting cross made of guitars on the ceiling near the bar, crazy light fixtures, to name a few. Your eyes will not be disappointed! The food itself is pretty good and quite filling, although the tacos are a little small and a touch expensive at $5 a piece. I had the Corn Fritters, which were very good, and the Bison Burrito with red sauce and creama, which was excellent and very filling. To drink I had the Tequila Sundown, which was smooth and quite tasty. Instead of the smoky red sauce, you can also get a green sauce for your food, which I did not care for quite a much as I found it a little bland. Neither are very spicy, but the red has just a bit more personality and flavour. The Jalapeno Relleno was also really good and we essentially stuffed jalapenos with a corn dog coating. The margaritas were also very good and were the shaken kind - the traditional lime was very tasty. The only real thing they lost a star for was the service - our waitress was very friendly and helpful, but the food and then our bill took forever to come out and the place was not very busy at all - only 3-4 tables had people at them while we were there. I assume that this situation was a one-off and look forward to dining here again.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed January 3, 2020

Amazing food tastes very good and is quality. The staff is very kind and friendly.

I would recommend going there.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed December 30, 2019 via mobile

Very unique twist on Mexican cuisine. Flavourful and pleasing to the eye the portions are big because of the family style delivery.

A good choice for something different in Mexican cuisine. Not for everyone, but worth a try.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed November 18, 2019 via mobile

Wow. Love this place. I know it’s been here for a long time but I hadn’t gone until yesterday. Fun and kitschy decor. Great margarita and best of all so many types of tacos! At $5 each I tried 3 different ones..... all so good I couldn’t pick a favourite. Cauliflower, fish and carnitas. Yum!

Can’t wait to go back. Finally a great Mexican restaurant in London.

Date of visit: November 2019