“"Glorified" hostel”

Guest House on the Mount
Ranked #27 of 41 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I still can't decide if the lack of amenities and unusual layout is worth the savings. $70, not even to have my own shower?
Stayed in a room with two single beds and a small and outdated half bath (ancient industrial toilet and sink only). Lack of a counter in the wash room made it awkward to get ready.
If you'll be spending much time in your room, the 13 inch flat screen TV might be a bother, as well as the uncomfortable 1960s chairs, and the door to the shared balcony that only locks some of the time. Would have liked another service to set my things out.
The bedding was nice and modern and fresh, but the drapes were useless for blocking light.
The shared shower facilities down the hall are about as private as you can expect from an old 1960s dorm and look to be original to the building. We decided not to use them.
All the guests we saw were on the mature side, but we found the noise from the hallway very loud and irritating.
The female receptionist we dealt with at check-in must have said "I don't know" about a dozen times. I felt like I was inconveniencing her by simply wanting to check in. Still not sure if we were checked in to the right room, thought we were meant to have an attached bathroom. Male receptionist the next day was much more pleasant.
If you're looking for comfort and amenities of a normal hotel, skip it. If you're willing to save some money and live like a college student at a glorified hostel, go for it.

Room Tip: Book a room with a full bathroom, unless you're game for showering like a college freshman in di...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank 83KDtravel
Brianna S, Manager at Guest House on the Mount, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2014

Good Morning,
I'm sorry for the small delay in our feedback. We have taken some of your concerns to heart and are always trying to improve. New chairs as well as new curtains are in the process as we speak.
Yes unfortunately the bathrooms can look outdated, but we hope that the cleanliness we provide helps accommodate this a little.
The lounge provided on both floors has a larger TV we provide for guests as we understand the 19inch TV's can look small, however are the largest we can fit in the space provided.
We try not to advertise as a full service hotel as we are not able to provide all the amenities such as them, but we will take a look at our website to review.
We thank you for the feedback and apologize we weren't what you were expecting.

There are newer reviews for Guest House on the Mount

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I stayed here for an extended stay. The front desk staff & housekeeping were never helpful or friendly. The kitchen was always dirty (sink full of dishes, dirty coffee maker, no clean dishes or tea towels,dirty shelves in the fridge) and the floors in my room were never clean. The duvet cover on the bed smelled so bad I insisted it be changed. Food went missing from the fridge as well. My bed was uncomfortable.

The positives included the location which is close to the hospital and the price. The grounds are quite nice as well.

I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank Mark H
Reviewed May 10, 2014

This former Ontario Mental Health facility (or at least the second floor) has been converted into a hotel. Receptionist was young and pleasant. The room I had was simple: good, soft bed, table beside. Small closet. Tiny table. Would have liked another surface, a desk. Bathroom quite a ways down the hall; one big black cricket (or...?). Kitchen available but had no idea if we were allowed to use it (hadn't read these reviews earlier) so didn't. WARNING: terrible signage getting to the place. You'll reach the main parking area, yes, but once there, drive way LEFT, in between what I seem to recall was an Alzheimer's building and some kind of sheds, and THEN you'll be on the right parking lot. I would stay here again. Wish I had known I could walk through the park to the hospital -- would have saved myself the $11 parking fee over there.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

After a weeks work, My husband and I were looking forward to a relaxing sleep in london. Wile looking for Guest House on the Mount, the directions they give you on there website lead you to an intersection? We had gotten lost for half an hour till we finally called and the receptionist. She was a young girl with no real education on the actual directions herself, she simply said look for the black and white sign???. We finally made it and it looked as if we stumbled onto a lot of medical offices and industrial wear housing? Once directed to the entrance we climbed to flights of stairs, we were given our room key to which the room was so small and the colors dull, not only was the TV as big as my Tablet there was also no SHOWER!!!!. on top of that the washroom was covered in pubic hair and the toilet had some sort of mucus color too it. We now explained to the receptionist in pure exhaustion. She transfered our room, we were so tired we just checked our bed and crashed! We wake up at 11:10 to someone walking in our room!!!! my husband had to jump out of bed and slam the door!. We were never told our checkout time! Now we are more than angry rushing to get our things and get the hell out ,we go to use the washroom and there is hair and paint and old tape stuck under the lid!!!! We left immediately and confronted the NEW receptionist and she was very rude and awaiting confrontation! I explained and all she said was I'm sorry! NEVER EVER STAY HERE!!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
15  Thank MunirihSuddess
Reviewed February 1, 2014

It was a nice nights sleep on a cold and snowy winters eve. The staff although not overly friendly, was nice and helpful. The room was not elegant but was clean and bed comfortable (I prefer dorm for savings but private was only thing available). Bathrooms were centrally located and also cleanliness was good. Kitchen was stocked enough for simple cooking and included coffee/tea was nice. I didn't require it but laundry facility seemed a nice bonus. I'm a pretty simple traveler and can overlook many things based on a balance of staff attitude, room/facilities meeting my needs, and value for the money. This meets all the above with reasonable effectiveness and therefore met my satisfaction. The highlight was enjoying coffee in the lounge with nice snowy view of the Thames river...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Mark F
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Front desk/customer service was good, attentive and willing to help. The apartments is simple but outdated, small, door to the balcony did not lock and could be opened from outside and the cleaning was not up to standards.

The rate does not include breakfast and wi-fi worked well.

Location is good and convenient, although the price seems to be quite reasonable, you can definitely get a better room in another place with breakfast included for the same price.

Webpage over promised, room conditions under delivered.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
35  Thank nyork12345
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This place is a run down boarding house and has the standards of the fifties.
It is definitely not recommended if you are looking for privacy and want to relax in a clean and comfortable room.

The rooms are spartan and small. No table, no chair, no radio, no clock, no shelf space.
The Queen beds are small and worn out.
The sound proof is very poor. You will hear your neighbours business. The heating, ventilation, air conditioning can not be regulated and is loud.
To get a reasonable rate you have to use the public bathrooms that are simple and not always clean.

The kitchen is substandard equipped and there is a lack of food.

To sum this up this a very spartan place to stay if you do not mind to share your life in public and are looking for the standards of a "Guest House".

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple