“Simple, Inexpensive, Clean, Convenient” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Guest House on the Mount

Guest House on the Mount
Ranked #24 of 41 Hotels in London
Ontario
“Simple, Inexpensive, Clean, Convenient”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed here when my mother was in hospital; it's about a 10 minute walk door to door, and you're walking across a park for about half that walk.

My family stayed in the "family suites" (we rented 2, without bathrooms): 2 single beds, 1 queen bed, table with 4 chairs, closet (one has a tiny closet, the other a large walk-in), mini-fridge, flatscreen TV (with a more than acceptable program selection), couch, and some random night tables / end tables.

Furnishings seemed quite new, albiet requiring someone to go over them and retighten the bolts ... especially the queen bed and the chairs. These two rooms are giant; during the day, we had upwards of 10-12 people in one of the rooms and it wasn't crowded. The two rooms we had were the "chapel" in this facility before it was repurposed, so a bunch of the windows were stained glass. Linens were seemingly of high quality and were clean, as expected.

The hotel has common kitchens, laundry facilities, and washrooms; most rooms don't have them unless specified. As well, there is a common area with a big TV and lots of chairs and tables; this is a "quiet" area, good for reading or watching something if there are others sleeping in your room. The common kitchen is big and well stocked (pots, pans, cutlery, toaster, microwave, collanders, etc) with two enormous fridges for all to store their items. The bathrooms are very utilitarian, but have accessible showers and toilets, and are very clean. Laundry facilities are coin operated; $2 per, and the machines have quite high capacity.

Front desk staff are there 24 hrs a day and were very helpful when we needed assistance. Special mention to Matilda (I hope I remember her name correctly).

If I had a complaint, it was the queen bed was soft. I suppose it's personal preference, but I've personally never slept on such a soft bed.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a family room without bathroom, request 210; it has a much larger closet whic...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Ettore C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Owen Sound, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

This motel is clean and quiet sitting on beautiful grounds. Wife stayed here for thee weeks and the motel was suitable and priced right. Location is perfect, mall just north with many places to eat. Close to St. Joseph's Hospital and university.
Room was small but had everything that was needed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank wmunroe
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I don't know what other people are talking about on here. This place,for the price, is perfect for me. I was staying there to be close to a family member in the hospital. But I would come back just for some quiet me time. The carpets in my room weren't dirty at all!! In fact they looked new. And I had a full bathroom in my unit AND a TV (small, but I don't even OWN a tv so who cares?). The grounds are beautiful, and it's nestled away from traffic. It was walking distance to the hospital, even in winter, which I was thankful for, because parking at the hospital is beyond expensive. I can relate to how some people would prefer to have a desk, as I wanted one too. But I liked how it had a kitchen, laundry room and a very nice common room to relax in and observe the beauty of the Thames. I also liked the beds, and found mine comfortable. I would come back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank GetFit S
Edmonton, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had a four night stay that was quite pleasant. I arrived late and was met by a pleasant older lady who was quite proud of the place and gave me a mini-tour despite it being midnight!
My room was large and clean. It would have been useful to have a desk on what amounted to a business visit. I had half bath and the bathroom was fine. The showers were shared but clean.
A kitchen was available that was clean. All I used it for was to get salt for mouth washing, but could have bought food to prepare there if I wanted.
The bed was comfortable and clean.
There was a small amount of noise from the street north of the facility in the morning but pretty minor. As there is a telephone in the hallway, and it was right by my door, there was one annoying evening when someone made a long call. At actual sleeping hours all was very quiet.
The location is very good for Western (UWO) and adjoining hospitals. One can walk on a paved trail along the river to get to the university more directly.
I think I can see some of the negative points some people made but for my stay the value was exceptional and I had no significant complaints.

Room Tip: Avoid being near the phone.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Craxiter
London, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

This place is an over priced former Ontario Mental Health facility. It was close and now converted to a hotel (?). it is nor recommended due to it's austere facility, lack of cleanliness and institutional decor and atmosphere. It has long tm residence, a sub standard kitchen and communal showers that are old and make Army facilities look positively delightful in comparision. The sound proofing is very poor. However, if you are inclined, the grounds are nice but so what. Oh and my room, the carpet was very dirty, one chair, no desk. As of today there are now TV,s in the rooms. If one is staying in support of a hospital stay. There must be better deals available. My son said the place was "creepy" ; I concur.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
134 Thank Bart S
Puttershoek, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2010

Former hospital floor is noticeable in the rooms. If you don't mind to share shower and be close Alzheimer institute and children day care facility this is clean & affordeable. No breakfast, no bar - kitchen available.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Henk001
Kalamazoo, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

My kids and I stayed at the Guest House while my mother was in the hospital recovering from surgery. It was a perfect place to stay. It is pretty no frills so if you're used to more luxurious accomodations you may be disappointed There is no TV, no phone, no clock, etc in the room. There is a lounge with a TV and comfy chairs. The kitchen was well equipped. The room was very comfortable and the beds were great. I loved the linen. I don't think you can beat the price. We paid $59 a night.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family