“Family Run - they were anxious to please”

Golden Viet Thai Restaurant
Ranked #117 of 435 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Cambodian, Thai, Vietnamese
Neighborhood: Downtown Kingston
Description: Humble little cuisine at the heart of Downtown Kingston. We serve fresh Southeast Asian flavours at an affordable price. Perfect for lunch, dinner, or any time in between!
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We originally planned to go to Phnom Penh. I then suggested the Thai Cambodian place a few doors down. We settled on the Golden Vet Thai and weren't disappointed.

The husband cooked, their daughter was our waitress, and the wife also worked in the kitchen.

We started with the beef rolls, which were delicious!

I had a somewhat plain beef with ginger, and she had #32, a chicken dish on a bed of salad vegetables. She absolutely loved her meal, and I agreed it was delightlful. A half carafe of white was a nice complement to the meal. (I spiced mine up with some on table hot sauce, which improved its character.)

The prices were cheap, the value high.

I have been to this restaurant over the years, and was disappointed the last couple of times so stopped going. I'm convinced this is under new management, and we agreed we'll be going back.

It was a stretch to get this rating to a five, but I rounded up from a 4.5. If I had a dish I liked better I wouldn't have hesitated.

Of the Viet Thai restaurants in town, this is the best value. With wine our bill was about $35.

There are newer reviews for Golden Viet Thai Restaurant

Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Golden Vet Thai is THE best restaurant of its kind in Kingston. Their special...the chicken cashew curry on noodle is to die for and the rice paper rolls....have had them in countless other restaurants in town and NO one can beat Golden Vet Thai. The servers are so sweet and fuss over you. It's Kingston's very best. Have been eating there for years.

4  Thank LBtravelandfood
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The meals at Golden Viet Thai are simply fantastic. The prices are well within reason and most importantly the staff is attentive and really friendly. I just wish the owners would do a remodel to make the restaurant stand out more. If you have never tried the food and looked inside you wouldn't expect anything this good due to the decor. But, the food is simply fantastic and the servers are awesome - you just have to look past the decor.

1  Thank NickcaNick
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have tried this place twice now and both times I found the food to be greasy, and rather tasteless. Will not be returning.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

Cheap, quick, friendly, pretty good food... Overall a pretty good experience