“Fan-freaking-tastic!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of AquaTerra

AquaTerra
Reserve with OpenTable
AquaTerra is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 424 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown Kingston
Description: On the Waterfront in Downtown Kingston. Located at the Delta Hotels by Marriott Kingston Waterfront, AquaTerra offers spectacular waterfront views and a menu that focuses upon fresh, locally sourced ingredients. Extensive wine list. Private and semi-private dining. Planning a special dinner or event? We cater offering drop-offs, pick-up or full service at the location of your choice. Make a reservation or buy a gift certificate on our website. See you on the water!
Kingston, Canada
“Fan-freaking-tastic!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have been going to Aquaterra for years now and figured it was about time to write a review. I work in customer service and have quite often told people about this gem in downtown Kingston. The food is incredible. Everything that Clark Day puts on a plate is magic. I recently took my boyfriend there on a romantic date. He had never been there and is a great lover of different cuisines. We both ordered the table d'hote, which at $30 for an appetizer, main course, dessert and coffee/tea is very reasonable. We both left completely stuffed and I have now made a very big fan out of my boyfriend. Everything on the plate is meant to be eaten seperately and together. Before the meal you get an amuse-bouche which is always something different. The bread is typically house made with a different flavoured butter which changes weekly if I'm not mistaken.

I can't possibly say enough about Aquaterra. The staff is always smiling and aim to make sure you have the best possible visit everytime. I can't possibly be more in love with this restaurant than I am. I will be a customer for life. Try it once and I think you'll agree.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelsKingston, Guest Relations Manager at AquaTerra, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
We love reading great reviews like this one from our long-time customers. We are glad that you decided to post this review and we are thrilled that you have so many wonderful things to say about our restaurant. Thank you for the glowing recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Toronto, Canada
“So "Poor" for a so-called upscale restaurant...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We visited Kingston for the Victoria Day weekend with my family. I wanted to take my two boys to see Fort Henry, but also figure it is nice to spend a weekend in the city and also cruise of the Thousand Islands.

We had two dinners and one would be on the cruise. I went to Tripadvisor to find the highest rated "higher-end" restaurant in the city. I rationally had "tempered" expectations as were in a non-cosmopolitan city with sper-skilled chefs. I don't at all mean to be disrespectful to Kingston or other small towns, which offer a lot of other unique positives not found in big cities, including food. On food there are some really quaint and unique spots like the Bookshelf in Guelph and Suwan in Minden (which I think is now closed - too bad)

And sometimes you can find great restaurants in smaller towns/cities on par or better than big cities, Best examples are the Benjamin Inn in tiny St. Jacobs (crazy good/and crazy good value - my wife and I's favourite) and the Aberfoyle in Guelph)

Anyways...you get my point. So with the above pre-text now the Aqua Terra.

It was horrible... Both my wife and I were peeved how this restaurant could rate so high (Just an emotional opinion and apologize if I criticize too many people that rate this restaurant high.) Our one chance to try one of Kingston's so-called best restaurants was such a bomb.

They try to be like a high-end place. They came around with complimentary tastings. They looked unappetizing, the presentation was poor and it didn't taste too good. Then our french onion soup was stupidfyingly bad. It was like onions and hot water (no real taste - so bland) and they put in like 3 times the bread as appropriate so this big glob of a bland-tasting mess.

My pasta was like so pedestrian (I could make a better tasting pasta) and my wife's lamb was "not good".

The staff were very friendly and I can see they were trying their best. I give them A+ for effort and enthusiasm. I don't expect any of them to have worked for a high-end restaurant, but I would expect the Head Waiter to have worked at a high-end restaurant and would train accordingly. I would not criticize if it was more a casual dining environment - like the Chez Piggy (where we went for lunch). But if you want to market your restaurant as a higher-end restaurant (and Aqua Terra's prices were pretty high) then you open yourself to criticism when you are so far off the mark!

Dining is an important part of a weekend road trip (at least for us). And again, I don't need high-end to be happy. We were all pleased to have lunch at a fish diner shack specializing in whitefish on our weekend trip to Tobermory. But I'm going to smile when we decide to go to the Elora Gorge and can think of dining at the Benjamin Inn. Kingston...less so.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mike K L
HotelsKingston, Guest Relations Manager at AquaTerra, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Feedback from our guests is very important to us as it provides us the opportunity to improve. We only wish that this feedback had been shared with us during your visit in May 2012 so that we may have had the chance to correct or replace anything that you did not enjoy and ensure that you left our restaurant satisfied. AquaTerra is a casual dining restaurant with picturesque views and an emphasis on high quality local food and wine. We are sorry that your experience here did not meet your expectations. Based upon other reviews on this site and comments we receive from our guests, we do not feel that your account of our restaurant is indicative of the experience that we are proud to provide.
Calgary, Canada
“Great experience and amazing food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

The presentation of each dish and the attention to detail was superb! The food was exceptional and the service was extremely friendly and attentive. Our server Sarah was an absolute delight and made the evening even more special! Keep the great service and food coming! Would go back in a flash!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great restaurant - wonderful food and very special service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Aqua Terra is one of the best restaurants in Kingston. As someone that stays in a hotel there (the Radisson) 3 nights every week, I've come to know the restaurant well along with most of the others in Kingston.

The 3 course meals are usually excellent from start to finish - I've enjoyed them many times and the seafood risotto is especially lovely.

Service is attentive, friendly, but not intrusive. They all do the utmost to make your meal a very special event.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank heatherrorr
HotelsKingston, Guest Relations Manager at AquaTerra, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share this very kind review. This really means a lot coming from someone who dines out in Kingston so often. I will be sure to pass your compliments along to our staff. We will see you next week for seafood risotto!
Kingston, Canada
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

For very fine dining, a beautiful atmosphere and great view, Aqua Terra by Clark is THE restaurant in Kingston. I only wish my eating out budget was higher. It is absolutely OUTstanding.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lb64
Thank you for this outstanding review and thank you for being such a loyal customer. We are very satisfied to know that you enjoy our restaurant so much. We hope to see you again soon.