“Good for Beginner-Thai” 3 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: Downtown Kingston
New Haven, Connecticut
“Good for Beginner-Thai”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

When I was a far more sensitive and less adventurous eater, Mango was my go-to Kingston restaurant for Pan-Asian food. It has a good mix of dishes for people sensitive to spiciness and prefer a more westernized take on Asian dishes. Their cashew chicken, pad thai, and green and red curries are all great for Thai-beginners. The place is often packed, which makes for a nice atmosphere, but can also mean a longer wait. Service varies considerably--you'll just have to get lucky. The setting is mixed; there's a nice waterfall feature, but the rest of the dining room leaves a lot to be desired--it's not really a location for romance, but great for groups of friends. Prices are reasonable, food is fresh, and portions are generous (I always had leftovers for lunch the next day, which was appreciated). I go to Mango far more infrequently now, because I find it to be pretty average for Asian cuisine in Kingston. But I do still acknowledge how much I used to like this place and definitely recommend it to casual diners with a more reserved palate.

• Visited April 2013

Paris, France
“More than once-a-week routine.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Actually when l spent a semester in Kingston, Mango was just below my residence!
Needless to say, l was eating a lot of Thai food there.

And definitely it is a great place! I first discovered it with a group of new friends.. and l found it be veggie-friendly..
It ended up being one of my most preferred eating destinations in Kingston.

It's reasonably priced, served good portions, you can choose between S/M/L for soups, which were really good too!

Try the Tom Yum Soup, the Veggie Pad Thai, the Green Curry, and my personal fave: the raw mango salad!!!!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank vijjih
Toronto, Canada
“Average food at value price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I ate here maybe 2 months ago, but I remember the experience was underwhelming. The Pad Thai was very drippy and runny and had a very red tinge to it that was different from what I am used to. The portions are big and the prices are reasonable, but this is definitely not a restaurant I would frequent often for Thai food.

• Visited February 2013
Ontario, Canada
“Very disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have eaten here a couple of times before, and it was never wonderful, but today it was not good at all. I have had the mango shakes there before, and they were always quite good, but tonight it tasted like crushed ice with barely any mango flavour at all. The Vietnamese spring rolls were good. I ordered the orange chicken, and the balls of battered, fried chicken were very hard and dry. The orange chicken at the mall is better. My husband's mango shrimp seemed fine. Only the curry dishes come with rice, otherwise, you have to order rice separately. The people sitting beside us had soup and then ordered two other dishes. They sent one back saying that it tasted bad and that they didn't want to eat it. I heard a lady waiting to be seated say to her friend that she didn't feel well after eating here once before, so that wasn't very encouraging. The restaurant was full, so maybe I just picked the wrong thing, but for what we paid, there are many better places to eat in Kingston.

• Visited March 2013
“Bland and boring.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

I always order items that say they are spicy. My spicy food was not spicy and my friends food was bland and boring.

• 2 of 5 bubbles