“Real food”

Ranked #1 of 8 Bakeries in Kingston
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Kingston
Description: Pan Chancho is a bakery and cafe that makes everything in house. In addition to our baked goods and sit down menu items, we have a large selection of salads, sandwiches and main courses available to go. Our kitchens make a variety of ready for the oven frozen goods, and we carry a wide selection of imported and local cheeses, groceries and home-made pantry items for our customers.
Kingston, Canada
“Real food”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place started with a genuine vision and held to it. Great food and charming setting. Local organic meats, super olive oils, wide variety of fresh breads.

• Visited September 2013

Vancouver, Canada
“Bakery and deli do not disappoint!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was in Kingston on business for approximately two weeks and visited Pan Chancho almost everyday. In the morning, on my way to the office, I could pick up coffee, breakfast and lunch and nothing ever disappointed with a rotating choice of items and some staple offerings. The baked goods and fresh bread are heavenly and the deli options (soup, salad, sandwiches) are exceptional. Though I never had a chance to try the restaurant, I couldn't recommend this place highly enough. I miss it already!!

Ottawa, Canada
“Not that great”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

To begin with, I really like this place as a bakery and grocery store. This weekend I tried their restaurant portion for the first time and was pretty disappointed.

We went for the brunch menu on homecoming Sunday. I'd never actually been during my 4 years there but had always heard amazing stories. We waited about 25 minutes for a table after being told it would be a 15 minute wait. This still made it one of the less busy places, so no big deal.

It being a bakery, it never occurred to me that as a non-egg eater I might have difficulty finding something good on the menu. Unfortunately my choices were yogurt and granola or the same scones and croissants I could have gotten in the bakery for a slightly cheaper price. While yummy they weren't really what we were looking for in a sit down, nice breakfast.

My desire for a hot breakfast won out and I went with the French Toast. The boyfriend guiltily had one of the egg things which he reported as quite good. The French Toast was advertised as coming with apple butter and creme frais. When it showed up it was thankfully lightly drenched and excellent flavorful (apple?) bread. However for a really good French toast it needed a stronger dredge. This was sort of awkwardly between fresh bread and French toast. The real downfall of it was the topping. It came with a not quite cream, not quite butter, oddly flavored white stuff poured on top. I tasted it and decided it was the creme frais, so I asked the waitress about the apple butter. Apparently they blend all 3 items together to make this topping, which has just enough apple to make the cream taste off but not enough to flavor it nicely. It did come with real maple syrup and was clearly made with quality ingredients but it just totally missed the flavor balancing. I also clearly wasn't impressed with it, which the waitress seemed entirely unconcerned about.

The orange juice was excellent but a tiny portion given the price tag. The ambiance would probably be nice at a quieter time, but on a busy day it can feel a little crowded in as you're often less than a foot from your neighboring table.

Overall it has good materials, and the hostess was great, but our waitress was so-so, and the culinary creations were definitely lacking. Hopefully their egg items are better, otherwise stick with picking up bakery items to eat in the park.

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
“great lunch for two”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Wonderful selection of bakery delights welcomes you into a quaint cafe where some wonderful homemade soups salads and othe plates were served. Staff were attentive but extremely run off their feet to keep up with the number of patrons. A must place to share some time with a friend.

Canada
“Best brunch in Kingston”
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Our favourite brunch spot, especially on the courtyard patio. We order the same things every time - 'the weekender' and 'breakfast wrapped up' - just delicious!! Service can sometimes be a bit slow when it is really busy.

• Visited August 2013