“Old standby for quality Indian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Darbar Restaurant

Darbar Restaurant
Ranked #113 of 428 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Downtown Kingston
Description: Darbar is an intimate experience providing spiced-to-order Indian fare, specializing in tandoori & vegetarian dishes. Darbar uses only the freshest ingredients, and chooses organic ingredients whenever possible. We offer takeout and delivery within Kingston.
Kingston, Canada
“Old standby for quality Indian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have been going to Darbar for years because they do everything right except that they bring all the food to the table at the same time.
Good choice of vegetarian dishes. Lots of lamb and chicken with seemingly home made sauces, nicely spiced. I am never disappointed

Visited December 2012

Kingston, Canada
“great food good atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

this restaurant is consistent every time i go. The dinner for 2 is huge and a great affordable way to try several items. Best butter chicken in town

Visited December 2012
Kingston, Canada
“Most fine Indian cuisine in Kingston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I praised Darbar in my last review of this restaurant. That was a while ago. Since then my wife and I have lunched and dined there at least three times a month - it is our favourite place to eat out in Kingston. The cuisine is my favourite and I've been eating Indian foods since 1967 in London, Dublin and Montreal - Darbar is consistently the best food of all the marvellous places I've dined in - bar none.
Ashok and his brother, the chef, and Mahfuz, the waiter, are friendly and fast. There are never any delays with no matter what dish I order when the place is busy and when it's quiet. They make ALL their own sauces, drinks and desserts - quite apart from the authenticity of the entrees - lasse, bahrfi, mango ice cream, cucumber raitha... all fresh.
They mix a chili sauce that is proprietory - green chilis, fiery a little dab will do you.
My favourite used to be Beef Madras (strength - medium) but, lately, my wife and I have shifted to a longing for Chef's Methi Ghost! Subtle, brilliantly spiced , tender beef and fresh tomatoes, a thick gravy. Instead of a plate of Basmati rice we order a garlic Nan bread and scoop the Methi Ghost up with steaming pieces of that lovely tandoori oven roasted bread. We don`t drink anything but water with the meal. We relax after the piece de resistance with a khulfi ( Mango ice cream). If it`s dinner hour we are given a chocolate mint stick when we pay the bill!
This place deserves more than a few lines saying it`s terrific. That is why I wanted to say more here.
The decor could do with a boost but he is keeping his costs down - we never pay more than $40 - $50 for two including tip. Prices have increased only by 5% since I first dined there three years ago.
Tell Ashok or Mahfuz that Patrick and Hermien sent you!!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank dailyllama m
Kingston, Canada
“Tastiest Indian Food in Kingston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

...not the classiest interior (Curry Original gets that one), but the best and tastiest Indian food in the city. Go for the Darbar rice - aromatic and great tasting. Butter chicken is one of our staples there, as is the Saag Mattar Paneer. Attentive staff and low-keyed ambiance are a plus too! We also get take-out from here frequently. Note: parking is only available on the street out front, but it isn't *usually* hard to get a spot.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Gary H
Italy
“Excellent Indian food, fresh ingredients, no grease”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Excellent chicken Jalfrezi, fresh hot naan, hand made vegetable samosas with fresh chunky vegetables and potato inside. The dishes were not greasy at all. My colleagues had vegetarian dishes that were quite good, too. Three entrees, several bread and rice sides and two orders of samosas cost $60.

This was way better than average Indian food and ranks pretty high in my book of Indian favorites. Highly recommend!