“Good Dinner”

Copper Penny
Ranked #73 of 429 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good Dinner”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The Copper Penny provided us with a decent dinner, but nothing special. It had a cute atmosphere, and in particular I loved the wine holder over the bar. Nice staff. Service was okay. Way too many tvs going on. You would have thought it was a sports bar, but the sound was off, so we ignored it.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank NEVenturer

Ontario
“good lunch”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This little restaurant in downtown Kingston had a nice atmosphere. Basic table settings, nothing fancy, Sirius Radio in the background. Big problem was that the toilets are located up a flight of stairs so if you are mobility challenged this is not the place for you. The toilets were clean but the stalls were very tiny so if you need room, you will not have it.

The staff was friendly. We both had wraps and they were good. French fries are crinkle cut and the salad was fresh mixed greens (recommend vinegar based salad dressing). The drinks were $2.50 but were constantly being replenished. The desserts looked absolutely amazing and were showcased in a case as you walked through the restaurant. We had an appetizer of their potato skins (they were good) so we did not have room to try them out. Too bad.

We will go again eventually to try out more of their menu but will not rush.

• Visited June 2013
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
“Don't go... just don't.”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I had gone there a few years ago and we had liked it. But this time around, it was horrible. My son and I shared the rib and wing dinner. My son said that the meat was so chewy that he couldn't swallow the food. I thought he was exaggerating, but he wasn't. It was horrible. The wings were so dry, as if reheated in the microwave; same thing with the fries - dry and hard. We just could not eat the meal; it was that bad.

Now about the service - or lack thereof. They put this young snooty girl as a hostess. I don't think she knew how to smile. She really looked like she didn't want to be there. My son made a joke and said that maybe she had had botox... lol

The waitress made some effort, but she wasn't much better.
I was very disappointed since this was our Father's day meal and I will never go again.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank Josee P
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
“Bad service. Bad food.”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Looking for a quick bite to eat, on a Wednesday afternoon- my dad and I stopped in to the downtown location for a bite. We both ordered a salad and 2 water. The salad took quite some time, and while waiting, I spilled my drink over the table. No staff were to be seen, so we collected nearby napkins. Soaked the mess up, and left the napkins at the end of the table. When the waitress came with our food, she took the mess but neglected to request a new beverage. The salad I had was soggy, completely soaked in some "thai dressing" which was far too sugary and spicy. Topped with roasted potatoes and cajun chicken, these were the only edible things on my plate. The waitress didn't bother to ask how the meal was. She stood at the bar texting on her phone.

Needless to say, if you're looking for a quick, quality bite- look elsewhere.
Copper Penny- I don't remember you ever being good, but you're definitely sub-par at best..you're gross and I will not visit you again.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank EKingslea
Kingston, Canada
“Very hit and miss”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The Copper Penny is a downtown Kingston staple, they've been there for years. However, both the food and service are always very inconsistent. Sometimes absolutely fantastic, sometimes absolutely intolerable. Their Voodoo Chicken Wrap is what I usually order, however, I've found bits of charcoal in the wrap more than once. For the price (approx. $13 for the wrap and a side), I feel it's not worth the risk of it being gross.

• Visited June 2012