“Nice Spot”

The Toucan
Ranked #75 of 445 Restaurants in Kingston
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown Kingston
Description: Irish Pub with Live Entertainment, 22 Draught beers and cider, full food menu, daily specials, courtyard patio, Kingston's long time favourite located right downtown in one of the old stones of Kingston.
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Stopped here for brunch during a brief visit to Kingston. My Fiancé used to come here when she went to University there so this brought back some good memories for her.

The inside pub looked very nice and inviting however we sat outside since it was such a nice day. We had a charming waitress, they had lots of good beers on tap and we opted for the $4.25 British Breakfast which was quite good.

Look forward to coming back here for dinner and to spend an evening sometime.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Dining here felt like we had traveled back to the 1800s as we were surrounded by some of Kingston's finest historic buildings. It is basic pub fare, but done pretty well. We started with a plate of onion rings, then had a nice zingy tomato soup, a good blue cheese burger, a mound of nice sweet potato fries and a very good mild curry chicken dish.

Considering how quiet it was on this mid-summer Wednesday evening, the service was pretty slow. When I asked why, I was told they were busy "upstairs". I had just been there and there were all of four people. I hope the server didn't do anything nasty to my food after that!

A limited local beer selection (why do so few restaurants carry a broad selection of Ontario micro-brews?) and more extensive import selection. Prices are much better here than at the nearby Kingston Brewpub.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Popped in for a beverage and munchies. Staff was great, food was good. Decent selection of beers. The curried ketchup was a nice change for the sweet potato fries.

Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

I've been to many pubs around the world, but the Toucan will have a special place in my heart as long as they keep up their amazing service, great price and awesome quality.

I have visited the Toucan dozens of times and have yet to be disappointed. Wednesday night nachos: half priced and the best I have ever had. "Large Nachos, Layer the Cheese, no meat no sour cream."

Great beer selection, amazing chicken pesto sandwiches, good burgers, and the perfect atmosphere for friends, family or solo dining.

Cheers

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Bartender lacked customer service 101 skills. I hope it was a "one off" or it should be concerning to the employer