“smells”

The Toucan
Ranked #61 of 428 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Canadian, Irish, British
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown Kingston
Description: Irish Pub with Live Entertainment, 22 Draught beers and cider, full food menu, daily specials, courtyard patio, Kingston's long time favourite located right downtown in one of the old stones of Kingston.
Kingston, Canada
“smells”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Excellent location....great food....I really dig being outside in the summertime but people...indoors...talk to any/all the people I know...the place smells like pee. Too bad. It has everything a fabulous pubs should have but the place smells like a toilet.

• Visited February 2012
6 Thank lb64

Kingston
“Always the same place to stop in.”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I lived there for years - different crowds depending on the hour and day, but it stays the same sort of place year in, year out. College/University pub in the evening, Irish and British ex-pats in the afternoon catching the footie and some pints, good lunch crowd, good dinner crowd. The staff take pride in the work and service they bring, but welcome everyone as a new regular.

Visited July 2012
Toronto, Canada
“after many visits a huge disappointment”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I've eaten here many times and always found the food and prices great, but the service is uneven. My experience sunday was the worst service and meal I ever had here... I ordered nachos and sweet potato fries...both came to my table storm cold..the reason..a bartender/server more intereted in chatting up the regulars while my order sat in the kitchen in the serving window for far too long. I ate 5 fries and about 6 nachos paid and walked out..no tip. Whe nI paid he offered to get me a take out carton..wrong move..ask me why I didn't eat the dam meal dufus!! not once did you attempt to ask how my meal was..too busy going back to your converstaions... ..I would have told you.

This place needs a better way of letting the servers know when an order is ready ..not just hit and miss walks back to the kitchen to see if its ready....sorry I've said many times before..takes days, months, years, to obtain loyal customers..seconds to lose one..won't be back!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank thephoenixrisesagain
Meadville, PA
“It was open”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We made the mistake of crossing over to Kingston from Cape Vincent, NY on the Canadian Thanksgiving. Nothing was open!!!! So we found this place. It was OK. Very much tries to have an English pub feel to it and it mostly succeeds. The fish and chips were plentiful, although I would have preferred it to have been crispier. The batter was still gooey in the thicker parts. Not very clean, though. The floors were downright gross. They have a nice patio which is heated but it was still too chilly for us so we sat inside.

Visited October 2012
Comox, Canada
“Not as great as for our last review (Nov 2011)”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We did a review of the Toucan in Nov 2011 and gave it 5 out of 5 back then. This go around we had a good time, just not a great time. So I feel obliged to give it 3 out of 5.
It was Saturday night and soon after we arrived it filled up quickly -- mostly students from nearby Queens U it looked like. By the time we left it had become noisy and crowded -- expected for a Saturday night, so no complaints from us on that.
The server was on the ball and got us drinks straight away -- very nice. But as we sat at our table we noticed that, in the bottle of vinegar left at the table, a small fly was doing the back stroke (maybe breast stroke... hard to tell). When our server saw it she took it away immediately, but it still was a bit off putting.
There was a large group at the next table. Early on many of the lads disappeared for a while. We figured they had gone out for a smoke. When they came back they reeked of marijuana smoke. So, we were sort of right, just that we had assumed cigarettes -- wrong. We were not offended that they had gone to smoke a joint, but the strong odor was as offensive as if they had been wearing lots of bad aftershave. (Not much the management can do about such things these days, but still, it dampened our enthusiasm.)
So, then our food arrived -- and we had lots, and it was tasty: their Leadbelly burger for my spouse and a pulled pork sandwich for me, both with fries. All very filling and good value, if a bit conventional. Presentation was not great -- no garnish on the plates, just a white bun and white fries on a white plate. However, both are certainly worth trying if you visit.
Food and atmosphere were only average, so we'll give them 3 out of 5 overall.

• Visited September 2012