“Good - but maybe a bit heavy for lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Amadeus Cafe

Amadeus Cafe
Ranked #15 of 428 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: German, Austrian, European, Central European
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown Kingston
Description: This Family owned and operated restaurant has been serving authentic European classic dishes since 1992. The Amadeus offers Old World family recipes prepared with locally sourced ingredients. Meats are sourced through Wendy's Mobile Market - via local farmers. Our extensive beer list offers only the finest crafted German beers available. Our wine list offers wine from around the world and of course wines available locally from the County. During the summer season you will be transported back to Germany was you step foot in our hidden Biergarten. Very green and peaceful this is a pleasant way to spends a summers day. Guten Appetit !!!
Ottawa, Canada
“Good - but maybe a bit heavy for lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

I hadn't had honest German food for a long time, and i had forgotten how heavy it can be. Amadeus can't be blamed for that -they specialize in genuine German food after all. We had an early lunch at Amadeus recently - so early that we were the first customers. We asked for the garden seating, because the restaurant is extremely dark and gloomy during the daytime. The garden seating was much better (although it isn't really a garden - more of a courtyard). Everyone ordered something typically german or Austrian. There was a lot of spatzle going around. If you aren't familiar, spatzle is like little irregularly shaped dumplings that serve as the starch dish for many German meals. It's tasty, but boy does it fill you up! The starter salad was nothing to write home about - iceberg lettuce and tomatoes (with a dollop of carrot salad as well). I had Chicken Paprakech and it was flavorful but a little bland for my taste. I had hoped for more of a smoked paprika taste. One of our group had to send her Chicken Kiev back to be cooked a bit more. Service was friendly and quick, and there was no griping about the undercooked chicken dish. Amadeus is probably a better place for an evening meal, based on the menu.

• Visited August 2014

Cheektowaga, New York
“Dinner with Friends and Family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014

While on vacation on Wolfe Island, Canada, my friends and family have visited this restaurant each year for the past 2 years. It is walking distance from the Wolfe Island / Kingston Ferry. Tasty Food, Great Drinks, Nice Service, Amazing Desserts along with Good Company equals Dinner for Royality on Princess Street.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Linda14206
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
“Gorgeous patio, delicious and inexpensive food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

I went to Amadeus Cafe with my boyfriend for a date night. The waitress got us seated in a lovely back patio that was next to the restaurant's limestone walls covered with green ivy. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable on what drinks and food they had to offer. We each got a German beer which was so good and my meal (A savoury crepe packed with chicken and sauces, including appetizer bread and a soup) was only $11! It was yummy and filling and I will definitely be back more than once.

Kingston, Canada
“Love Amadeus :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

We have eaten there over the years.They accommodated my mother in laws 80th birthday last year, for 20 people with zero problems or setbacks.The food is always hot and fresh....The inside is older but we don't go for the decor :) The patio out back is the best spot in town to go for a drink...Will always go back

1 Thank trixbailey
yyc
“Alright”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

I was looking forward to eating here, but left a little disappointed in the food. We sat in the small, somewhat closed-in open beergarden at the rear of the restaurant. It's a nice location, albeit a bit drab. I ordered the Schnitzel with Swiss cheese, mushrooms and tomato sauce. While the portion was quite large the taste was seriously lacking in seasoning. I've had lots of schnitzel but this one was the first time that I felt like I was eating something that resembled plain tofu (not for the texture but for the taste). It was just very plain. My partner had the chicken paprikash and that dish was actually quite good, with just the right amount of seasoning. Our starter beef vegetable soup was also quite bland. Beer selection is good but would be a good idea for all of the staff to actually know the differences in each beer, when someone unfamiliar with German draught beer wishes to order. Perhaps a beer menu would help. Service was good, nothing memorable though. All in all it's a decent place, but left a bit disappointed.